Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Sydney

collarmelton

New in Town
I recently joined this forum and in attempting to master the search function have learned enough to wish I’d joined a year ago, before purchasing an expensive Borsalino Como, which now seems permanently limp and has the beginnings of a hole worn into the underside of the front brim, where I typically grip it. It’s a complete flop (literally) and no amount of steam or hairspray helps - though it does make the hat smell like the inside of a beauty parlor.

The consensus among forum members seems to be that a modern Borsalino is the next best thing to going bare-headed, but that Akubra makes a decent hat, for a reasonable price. I’d be grateful if anyone could comment on the Sydney model, which looks quite smart, but is advertised as being a “soft” model. What does this mean, and will the hat maintain its shape with a reasonable amount of steaming, brushing, etc.?

Thanks for your help.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Soft Hat

I don't know the Sydney personally, but as far as a "soft" hat goes, it's just a matter of stiffener. Akubra hats are, as a rule, pretty stiff hats. Their pre-shaped outbacks are down-right hard! Their soft hats simply aren't very stiff, but should hold their shape better than the Borso. You might not even need to steam it. Should be much more durable, too. If it's too soft, there are some places that sell a spray stiffener, so you won't smell like a beauty salon. :eusa_doh:
NB

Naltak

New in Town
Akubra Sydney (Fedora)

I have an Akubra Fedora that I recently bought from Hatsdirect, which is the same model as the Sydney, just called different names in different stores. The crown of the hat is very soft. The brim is a little stiffer. It is a pleasure to wear. It comes open crowned which means you have to shape it. It is extremely easy to shape without steam or anything. I knew almost nothing about how to do it and had no problem at all. Hatsdirect gives you some simple instruction with the added bonus that you can get it cheaper directly from Australia than you can get it here, even with the shipping charges. They are friendly and helpful folks there.

I love the hat. I have only had it a month or so, but it seems to be very tough and well made. It is my most favorite hat to date, but when Steve Delk ships my Adventurebilt, I just may have a new favorite. The Sydney (Fedora) will always hold a special place though because it is my first fedora style hat.

ledsled

One of the Regulars
Good first hat!

I don't mean to run this thread away from your original question, but I have to say that I have an Akubra and it is a "quality" hat.... definitely not a softy (it's the Traveler model). I, too, hope to get a hand-made fedora one of these days.

collarmelton

New in Town
Thanks for the recommendations, gentlemen.

Thanks to Sharpetoys for recommending Hatsdirect. I ordered a Federation model, which arrived today. Although I am a 57 in crappy Borsalinos and followed Akubra's measuring instructions to the letter, the hat is still a bit big, though it fits after installation of the foam stripping that comes with the hat -and I'm also wondering whether the band will shrink after a while.

But the point I wanted to make is that for close to two hundred dollars less than the Borsalino (NYC retailers charge a premium) the quality of the Akubra is mind-numbingly better. The feel and stiffness of the felt, as well as the construction of the hat itself is vastly superior in every conceivable way. The Borsalino was never the same again after its first rain storm, but I can't imagine this hat will react the same way.

Thanks.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations collarmelton
yes the hat will shrink a little bit with wear. I have a federation, federation deluxe, military, snowy river and a down under and they all were a little loose on me at first but snugged up after a few wears.
No it will not loose anything with a rain storm. If anything it will relax a little, look a bit more natural and soft. I find a rain storm to be the best way to break in a Akubra anyway. Hope you enjoy your new lid
Johnny

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Akubra hats

I wish that hat buyers inthe US didn't have to buy their hats from a retailer in Australia . It's unfortunate that Akubra signed a contract with the one distributor and the selection is small.
The biggest problem is the shipping cost . From Australia it's very expensive even by boat . But ,we are trying to work something out in the near future to have a line of dress hats from them .

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Sharpetoys,

What are the major differences between the Akubra Fedora and the federation? Shorter brim, smaller band? Higher quality felt? What about the crown height?

Does anyone have pictures of the Akubra Fedora in action. (ie: bashed and/or on your head)?

I've had two Federations now. The first was a disaster, but the second has turned out to be a fine hat. I just wish the gray wasn't so dark. I also love my Stylemaster featherweight, though it has now seen better days - and lots of them. So... thinking of a new Akubra and looking at the Fedora.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day Jake Fink
Mind if I ask how was your first Federation was disaster? I have not heard a bad review about a Akubra and am just curious.
Johnny.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,

I mentioned this in a thread quite a while ago. One of my Federations was not colour fast and I was not happy with the weight, fuziness or thickness of the felt. It looked awful and became the cottage hat. I think my brother has it at his house now for yard duty. I wanted to try a gray hat though, and thought the brown might have been an anomaly. My second hat was less fuzzy but wrinkled strangely across the crown. With a little steaming and a lot of wear it has been worked into a shape I'm very happy with, though I do wish the felt was a little thinner. The colour has not run or changed on this one either. So, I'm batting .500 with the Federation. My Stylemaster is quite old, but I like it a lot. It didn't turn me against Akubra, and I'd even order another Federation. That's all.

I think Hemingway Jones also had a bad Federation experience.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Sort-of bad Fedoration experience

I got caught in a downpour while shopping, and the hat got soaked. The color at the pinch ran a little lighter than the rest of the hat, but it might have been my fault. I was forced to grab it by the pinch rather hard at one point. The hat's not ruined by any means. It just has "character".
NB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart