Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Territory - any thoughts on it?

Yahoody

One Too Many
HAHhhahaha! The unknowing say it is OK, because it is a "dry hot". Me not so much.

One of those really hot, uncomfortable, days out on a horse.
1658515832789.png

Jonacki

New in Town
I have had an Akubra Territory for several years. Fantastic and versatile hat in my opinion, and saved my “bacon” on many occasions. Felt is durable and heavy, but wears incredibly well over time. I enjoyed the reference to Out of Africa in an earlier post, and I actually made some mods to my Territory for a while to make it more like Robert Redford’s hat in that movie. My only gripe is what I consider to be a relatively short crown (I would prefer another inch or possibly a bit more). The hooks to attach a chin strap (or what I have also heard called a stampede strap) are pure gold … the leather chin strap I have on mine saved it from being blown away on more occasions than I can remember. Worn the hat in all kinds of conditions, including cold, very hot, very humid, rain, snow, high winds, etc. In fact, I have been wearing it for the past week while fishing and hiking here in northern New Hampshire (and I will be wearing it when I get back to Florida despite the heat and humidity). I have a couple other Akubras, and they are all fine hats although I am admittedly also a fan of several other brands and makers. I have been wanting a felt western style hat for a bit, and I am thinking of buying an Akubra Arena or one of their similar type western style hats; although I cannot imagine any other hat being as versatile for outdoor conditions as the Territory. The only concern I have about buying another Akubra is whether their difficulties in sourcing domestic hares will have an impact on the quality, density, and characteristics of the felts for their hats … from what I can tell the shortage of suitable rabbit fur has impacted their ability to keep up with demand for their products.

Who?

Practically Family
I have been wanting a felt western style hat for a bit, and I am thinking of buying an Akubra Arena or one of their similar type western style hats; although I cannot imagine any other hat being as versatile for outdoor conditions as the Territory.
Please post photos and your impressions if you do get the Arena. I didn’t know there was such a hat. I see that it has a 102 mm brim, the same as the Territory and the Riverina.

Whether the near extermination(?) of Australian rabbits has affected Akubra quality, I couldn’t say, but I’ll be interested in the responses.

Even though I have had my Territory for less than three months, I wear it every day, and wish I had bought one years ago. I might have saved a bit of money spent on other hats.

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
I was joshing you on the brim size. I've owned a Akubra Arena and several other Akubra hats. All tough as nails felt IMO. That is based on my later use of Winchester full beaver felts to build my own hats or buy 100% beaver hats. I own and use a lot of custom western felt hats. For my own use I haven't seen anything better or anywhere close in the same price range as the quality of the Akubra felt.

I even have a custom, full beaver hat today that mimics the Arena for size. Cost of that hat was more than double the cost of the Arena. But the beaver hat isn't any better of a hat.

When I was wearing Akubra hats on a daily basis they were for protection from the rain. And I soaked them through to the head band more than once. My big brim beaver felt hats haven't been treated do unkindly. But I'd bet none of them would do as well as the Akubra felt did.

Good luck on your hunt for an Arena! Nice hat.

Who?

Practically Family
@Jonacki

Upon looking at Akubra.com. they show the Arena as sold out.

I hope you can find a dealer who has one in your size, and the color you want.

Is it possible to find out when they are likely to make a new batch, or if they have discontinued it?

Last edited:

Who?

Practically Family
On Saturday I will have been wearing my Akubra Territory everyday for three months.

If you want to hide from the sun, this is the hat for you. When I am wearing it it is as if the sun isn’t even shining. Absolutely amazing.

We haven’t had any significant rain, so I haven’t tried rain, but there is no reason to suspect that it will be any different than any other fur felt hat.

I wish I had bought one years ago, and I may have saved a bit of money that I spent on other hats.

jeff

One of the Regulars
I have a "sand" Territory that I bought around 2010, and have never worn.

I've been pondering putting a pencil curl in it. Anyone have thoughts on this? Would I be committing hat blasphemy?

jeff

One of the Regulars
> Good idea, then if you wear it in the rain it will fill up and become a bird bath.

LOL. I could do the curl DOWNward facing... that'd be a first!

My plan would be to do a front and back curvature. Something like this:
AZTcstmGWFHGamblerNatural.jpg

Who?

Practically Family
> Good idea, then if you wear it in the rain it will fill up and become a bird bath.

LOL. I could do the curl DOWNward facing... that'd be a first!

My plan would be to do a front and back curvature. Something like this: View attachment 445315
That is a really good looking hat, right there.

Will you change the crown to telescope, or leave it as is?

I bought a Territory at auction. I wanted to clone a Planter”s hat similar to this one worn by a CSA General. It may have been Gen Beauregard, I can’t remember. It sold at auction a few yrs ago & is in a museum today.

4DC410FB-D02C-4849-BC34-A5EDE0943C4B.jpeg

Still need a ribbon & cords. I’ll roll the brim more at that time.

42598595-0FAB-4BC5-AC4C-320DBB764BAA.jpeg

3EFBF434-F92A-4786-88FD-BA9AC42F738A.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot