Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Value is Soaring Right Now

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Hoss & da Posse said:
I, too, am nearing the 3 month mark on a black Stylemaster...Sam emailed me today and let me know that he expected to receive the order in early Feb but that they had been running late. I'm fine with it; he's responded to every email inquiry I've made over the past 3 months, added a brown olive Tablelands to the order and was willing to add a Casual (and if I didn't mind waiting until April, he'd hold the order and ship it together to save costs...I minded) when I asked him in late December. I opted to purchase from EA because I have more time than money and wanted to put the difference saved into a 2nd lid as I expand my hat wardrobe. There'll still be a couple months of Georgia winter/early spring that a nice felt will ward off the cold...

Twenty-two days today since I ordered a mid-gray Stylemaster from EA. To my knowledge, Akubra hasn't sent the hat to EA yet.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
skyvue said:
Am I the only one thrown by the fact that the Fed's brim is wider in front and back than on the sides? I've never seen one in person.
It's not something that would jump at you when you open the box or even when you wear the hat. The difference is pretty slight. It allows you to have a dramatic downward turn on the front without making the brim appear 'too' wide for modern wear

citRon

A-List Customer
What's with Everything Australian? I'm looking at the 'Fedora' in grey, but they don't keep them in stock. Their shipping charge is around $12 US, and Hats Direct charges double that. How can they charge so much less for shipping? Is HD just making up a little more profit through shipping charges?
-I'm not bashing on HD, I've bought a few hats from them, and they have the Fedora in stock; at least listed as so.

citRon said:
...Their shipping charge is around $12 US, and Hats Direct charges double that. How can they charge so much less for shipping? Is HD just making up a little more profit through shipping charges?
Very good question. It is probably based on their business model as it seems they will order stock, shown by only having certain colors available, then figure they have to cover those carrying costs plus get us to pay for the convenience of stock on hand. Seems EA allows lots of color choice but only orders them from Akubra when they get the orders. IMHO...

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a different service, isn't it? HatsDirect shipping is stated at averaging five days and Everything Australian is at ten.

The downside for us is that they obviously aren't especially interested in selling the non-country hats: they keep very few in stock, it's mostly the dreaded three-month special order...

Note that Everything Australian's base prices are also less because they seem to be the only dealer that didn't increase their prices in the last half-year. For example, they are still getting $90AUS for standard hats like the Cattleman (etc.) that are now $100AUS, $101.50, or $103.50 at the other Australian dealers.

BTW, I ordered a grey Stylemaster from them earlier this week and never got a ship notice: I sent them a message this morning, asking if it's going to be a long wait. If it is, I'm canceling the order - I don't want a felt hat arriving just as it gets too warm to wear it!

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
So my Bogart that I ordered on Monday arrived yesterday... An amazing well built hat and the price is definitely great right now. With EMS shipping $105 USD ... I shall start saving up for a grey one for sure...... I can't say enough great things about the Akubra ..........

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
citRon said:
What's with Everything Australian? I'm looking at the 'Fedora' in grey, but they don't keep them in stock. Their shipping charge is around $12 US, and Hats Direct charges double that. How can they charge so much less for shipping? Is HD just making up a little more profit through shipping charges?
-I'm not bashing on HD, I've bought a few hats from them, and they have the Fedora in stock; at least listed as so.
Remember, its not just Shipping, its Shipping & HANDLING. For some companies that means employing extra people to inspect items & properly package everything & maintain shipping records from a warehouse.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Not only Akubra value going up

Just to point out to those on the other side of the Atlantic that Christy's value will be soaring for you. I know it's :eek:fftopic: but I just noticed how much I have to pay a fellow lounger due to the pound's decrease in value :mad:. I then thought, that must be good news to anyone buying from Britain. So if you want a Christy's and you live in America, buy it now.

Tram

New in Town
Ordinary Guy said:
So my Bogart that I ordered on Monday arrived yesterday... An amazing well built hat and the price is definitely great right now. With EMS shipping $105 USD ... I shall start saving up for a grey one for sure...... I can't say enough great things about the Akubra ..........

OG, Did you order yours from Hats Direct? I'm looking at a couple and that price is right if they arrived that quick.

Guinness

New in Town
Everything Australian

I have sent 3 emails to EA and have not received any responses. I use the contact form on their website, but nothing. I would like to purchase a Bogart from them, but have some questions first. Any one else having this problem? Thanks.

jec

One of the Regulars
I wrote yesterday with a question and have not heard back yet.
But when I dealt with them a few months ago, they were quite responsive to my emails - and responded within a day or so.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Guinness said:
I have sent 3 emails to EA and have not received any responses. I use the contact form on their website, but nothing. I would like to purchase a Bogart from them, but have some questions first. Any one else having this problem? Thanks.

Yes, I sent them a message using their site form a week ago and haven't received a response.

I was asking if the grey Stylemaster I had ordered three days earlier was in stock, or if there was going to be a delay. Since sending this message, I discovered that they charged my credit card seven days ago - so I'm thinking that it's likely that the hat was already shipped, and that's why they didn't respond to my question. I guess I'll know if this is the case within a couple of days...

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I emailed them about my two Stylemasters, 63s that were ordered in late October, and was told that Akubra was running behind, that EA was expecting to receive the hats very soon and I'd be emailed when they shipped.

That was several days ago and still no word.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I emailed EA a little while back to ask if i could change my shipping address. Received a response the next day saying no problem and that my hats should be in anytime. I got a shipped email yesterday.

indycop said:
I emailed EA a little while back to ask if i could change my shipping address. Received a response the next day saying no problem and that my hats should be in anytime. I got a shipped email yesterday.
Are you using the Contact tool on their site or an actual email address? TIA...

citRon

A-List Customer
Anyone know if the proposed rate drop in Oz has/is going to happen? The rumor is if/when this happens us yanks will have more spending power for Akubras!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
Are you using the Contact tool on their site or an actual email address? TIA...
The first time i used the contact when I ordered 3 months ago. After that I always reply from the email that Sam sent me no matter how old it is. Has worked good for me and he is always the one that answers me. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy