Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra's Fawn

RJR

We just tolds ya, it ain't no use. :p.......OK if you insist, from left to right; santone fawn, heritage fawn, taupe fawn, tawny fawn, fawn, regency fawn, deep fawn & on the far right Akubra's new Bambi fawn.
feeding-time-for-8-baby-fawns.jpg
:cool:

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Tawny Fawn Akubra Fed IV on the left, Taupe Fawn Akubra Campdraft on the right.

wope3L5.jpg

For direct sunlight at mid-day, the colors are fairly accurate on my monitor. The Tawny Fawn is a lighter color with a hint of a warmer/more golden hue that become more obvious depending on lighting conditions, while the Taupe Fawn is darker (what I consider a true mid-brown) with a more neutral hue. Between the two I prefer the Tawny Fawn, but they're both good colors that can be worn quite casually.
Thanks!! That is very helpful.
I really like the Taupe Fawn, the neutral-ness of it.

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
Other than the Akubra website or their catalogue?

Every felt hat is going to look different under indoor and outdoor lighting.
Yes I had seen those. Yes you can see a number of different colours on your computer screen at the same time, but it's not the same (it seems to me) as seeing them grouped in the same photo.

I don't see Campdraft in either place- evidently there is something I don't understand (actually there are loads of things I don't understand, it's why I'm a newbie).

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes I had seen those. Yes you can see a number of different colours on your computer screen at the same time, but it's not the same (it seems to me) as seeing them grouped in the same photo.

I don't see Campdraft in either place- evidently there is something I don't understand (actually there are loads of things I don't understand, it's why I'm a newbie).

Notwithstanding everything else already said about indoor/outdoor lighting; everyone's own monitor calibration; subtle differences due to manufacturing tolerances; different coloration formulas for different manufacturers; etc, I don't understand why you would not consider the catalogue as a valid representation of the colors. The hats in the catalogue shoot were (presumably) photographed under controlled lighting conditions, and Akubra has an interest in presenting the most accurate representation of their felt colors.

That they are photoshopped onto the same page as opposed to sitting all together in one photo doesn't suddenly make it a less accurate presentation of color than any other that you'll find through your computer screen.

Thanks!! That is very helpful.
I really like the Taupe Fawn, the neutral-ness of it.
It took me a long time--a couple of years if I remember correctly--to come around to liking that Campdraft. I had re-creased the crown a couple of times, but it never looked quite as right as my Silverbelly Campdraft and I eventually concluded that I just didn't like the color. Then one day I realized what I didn't like was the way I had shaped the brim, which I had snapped too far down in front. One minor adjustment, and suddenly it became one of my favorite hats...including the color. :cool:

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
I don't understand why you would not consider the catalogue as a valid representation of the colors.

Here is why:

In the section Country Hats two, Tablelands and Riverina, are both said to be "sand" but show on my screen as quite different colours.

Another two in Country Hats, Coober Pedy and Stockman, are both said to be "sandtone" but show as slightly different colours.

In the Western Styles section there are several hats labelled "sand" which show slight differences from hat to hat.

Stony Creek and Rough Rider are both labelled "light sand" but are noticeably different.

Outback Club is labelled "sand" but is shown in black, which raises the question of whether there might be other hats which have their colors mis-labelled.

Now, are these differences as glaring as I find across the internet? Certainly not. I can google "akubra khaki" and 30 photos will show 30 quite different colours.

Still, the Akubra catalogue, or any other collection of separate photos, can't demonstrate the specific differences between the various Akubra colours as well as a group photo showing multiple hats in precisely the same lighting taken with the same camera.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Again: manufacturing tolerances; indoor/outdoor lighting; etc, etc, etc.

Two batches of ostensibly the same color can have subtle variations. Even if you found a side by side picture of all the colors you want to compare, there's no guarantee that particular batch of hats is going to EXACTLY match the hat you might buy. The best anybody can do is give you a general feel for the colors.

...In the section Country Hats two, Tablelands and Riverina, are both said to be "sand" but show on my screen as quite different colours.

Another two in Country Hats, Coober Pedy and Stockman, are both said to be "sandtone" but show as slightly different colours.

In the Western Styles section there are several hats labelled "sand" which show slight differences from hat to hat.

Stony Creek and Rough Rider are both labelled "light sand" but are noticeably different...
I understand your point. And here's a vivid example:

5hSrfZN.jpg

The same hat, photographed on three different days under similar lighting conditions with somewhat different colors and contrasts in the backgrounds. Are any of them a 100% accurate representation of the color? No, not really. But that's the nature of the beast. You either accept it and live with it, or be consistently disappointed because the hat you bought online isn't the exact color, hue, or lightness/darkness you were expecting. In fact, the actual color of every hat I've purchased online has been at least a little surprising when I finally saw them in person. *shrug* It is what it is.

I'm curious about which website you were looking at while making the comparisons you mentioned in your post. I looked at Hats Direct's website to compare their photos of the Coober Pedy and Stockman in Santone Fawn (the correct name for that color), and thought the extremely slight difference in color wouldn't even be worth considering if I were choosing between the two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112