Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra's School catalog and fitting stations

Duper

Practically Family
I noticed in the catalog section on the new site that they do customized school uniform hats . I guess this shows the significance of a good hat in Australia. What a great souvenir and a marvelous marketing tool as well for future sales. Maybe this is a new venture.

It would seem up here in Canada the only time all the students in school wear matching uniform hats is for graduation and then almost immediately throw them away.;)

http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra_Schools_Brochure.pdf

Have a look at their corporate fitting option as well. Seems like they have a stronger hat culture overall.

http://www.akubra.com.au/images/corporate/images/Akubra-Fitting-Station.pdf

Fatman

New in Town
When I went to school there was a no hat no play rule for lunchtime. If you forgot your hat, you had to sit in the shady area.

We didn't get akubras though. We had those caps with a long flap at the back that covers the neck, or you could have what i've always called the 'Chappell' hat, the type Greg Chappell used to wear.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
I attended a number of schools as my family moved around the country. All had hat policies and would offer a number of school sanctioned options, allowing students to choose a style they could live with. These could range from cotton broad brims to baseball caps to bucket hats to the foreign legion-style soft cap with the skirt or flap at the back to keep the sun off the neck. None of them required Akubras as part of the school uniform. They all tend to be of the cheaper variety so it doesn't hurt parents' pocketbooks too hard when the kids forget their hat on the bus, lose it on an excursion or have it flushed down the toilet by the school bully.

A number of private schools in our area do have an Akubra as the uniform hat, for those parents who can afford to send their kids to school in an $80 hat & $130 blazer

theinterchange

One Too Many
I find the addition of hats to school uniforms an interesting idea. It's provides both style and sun/elements protection.

I went to a private school for a few years, but we only wore "uniforms" when we went on field trips, ghastly electric blue polos and white pants/shorts. :eusa_doh: Noting near as cool as hats!

Randy

Edward

Bartender
I wonder what the spin off effect would be on hat wearing in later life.... I attribute much of my own reluctance to go anywhere without a jacket in all but the very hottest of weather when it simply is not feasible to wear one to the fact that I was simply conditioned to wearing a blazer at school every day for seven years. On the other hand, there was also the theory that one reason for the 'decline' of the hat was a generation of men returning from WW2 reluctant to wear a hat after having to wear one as uniform for so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart