Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AL Milwaukee steer Drifter

schitzo

Suspended
wow that is a whole lotta jacket! But if you can hack it then it looks like a tremendous buy from here. Congrats and thanks for sharing

Edward

Bartender
That was how the old Aero crew did the pockets on the Teamster I had to return

Jinkies, I'd never seen it before. I wonder why they opted for that - did you spec it originally, or did they come up with that as an idea? Seems a strange variant to go for against the way it had always been done before, there must have been a reason for it.

Dav

One Too Many
No, didn't ask for them to be like that, I just asked for upright pockets, expecting them to be in the facing as I'd seen before.

Edward

Bartender
No, didn't ask for them to be like that, I just asked for upright pockets, expecting them to be in the facing as I'd seen before.
Perhaps they forgot to put them on during the initial manufacture, and then added them after. [huh]

That would be a logical explanation in that case, though clearly it's been adopted as a design alternative on the jacket in the OP. I'm sure it's perfectly functional, just curious as to why the change. Maybe they feel it's less likely to give the 'show-through' that a lot of folks have complained of in the past.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Could be .... button up Aero jackets in my experience have never had the "gun pocket" like the G-1 or highwayman / halfbelt style ... my VDR's have always had the pocket in the lining. It just seems to be that in a button up jacket they used to mount the pockets in the lining so I'd assume that't what they did only vertically ?

Certainly not as asthetically pleasing as the gun style pocket .... though I've never seen this on a button up !

Dav

One Too Many
That could be the reason, Plumbline, I didn't have the jacket long enough to find out.
Yes, both of my button up jacket have them as HD has shown, one from 2010, one from 2013.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Much more asthetically pleaseing HD ( and ion line with my favoured arrangement) ... and I stand corrected. :D

The traditional Aero options were either a top-opening pocket in the lining, or a G1 style pocket with the opening a vertical in the facing just inside. The one on this jacket is an approach I've never seen before - vertical opening, but attached to the lining rather than the facing. The advantage of a vertical pocket opening is firstly that it can be easier to get into while wearing the jacket, especially if you don't want to fully unzip. If that vertical opening is located in the leather of the facing, there's no change of anything heavy being carried in the pocket making the lining sag by pulling down on the pocket opening. Horses for courses, though - a lot of folks prefer other alternatives. I even learned very quickly to live with my Highwayman which has no inner pockets at all (standard pattern) - all I needed was a wallet downsize... :)

I've never really given much thought about the benefits of a vertical pocket - couldn't figure out for the life of me why'd they want to make a pocket in the leather of the facing - but you've made some excellent points! So far I've been listening to Aero's advice not to have any inside pockets (choice that I always seem to end up regretting) but I think I'll definitely insist on at least one on my next jacket.

That said, I think you're right Edward - though not as nice, perhaps these lining pockets indeed are Aero's solution for the alleged problem of pocket pattern appearing on the outside of the jacket. Though I've never heard or read of this actually happening, ever.

Edward

Bartender
I've never really given much thought about the benefits of a vertical pocket - couldn't figure out for the life of me why'd they want to make a pocket in the leather of the facing - but you've made some excellent points! So far I've been listening to Aero's advice not to have any inside pockets (choice that I always seem to end up regretting) but I think I'll definitely insist on at least one on my next jacket.

Ken's really not keen on them in the neater fitting 20s and 30s styles, I know.... I think I'd want at least one in my next halfbelt, but probably only the one, on the opposite side of the exterior breast pocket. My HWM is an apprentice made model which I got new for a steal - it's the standard pattern with no internal pockets, and I've discovered I really don't miss them as much as I'd expected.

samo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for Your thoughts. So to summarize, inlining pockets make less bulk on the jacket surface but on the other hand they are less rigid as pockets in facing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy