Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden Boots?

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Contact Bryan at Giesche Shoes of Geneva, in Geneva Illinois, (630) 232-2317. He's active on COW and a lot of folks have ordered from him. I'm working on an order right now. He charges $270 + $11 shipping. That's as cheap as you'll find.

norton

One of the Regulars
AlanC said:
Contact Bryan at Giesche Shoes of Geneva, in Geneva Illinois, (630) 232-2317. He's active on COW and a lot of folks have ordered from him. I'm working on an order right now. He charges $270 + $11 shipping. That's as cheap as you'll find.

+1 on Bryan. I've bought several pairs of Alden's through him. He's great to work with and always quotes the best price.

kiltie

Practically Family
Todds is a great costumer. The items are solid, quallity items, but costumes none the less. The Outdoorsman boots ( I think that's what they're called ) are Chinese reproductions coming in at about $80. I've heard they're alright, but they're a fairly new product. As such, and as with any new product, there are still kinks being worked out. And again, their reproductions - I dunno how they'd take to repairs, etc...

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
Well keep in mind, "costumes" in the Indy community are more than costumes. They are usually well made and meant to be worn daily.

An $80.00 pair of boots should be top notch quality and I heard the boots at Todd's are durable and wearable for everyday use.

kiltie

Practically Family
Dude, I don't want to be a complete jerk, but you're Hugh Beaumont - the Beaver's dad - what do you know about rugged boots? :p ;)

Yes, it's true, I currently own and have owned stuff from Todds', and it's solid. I'm really on a US made kick now though, and it's sort of my "going green" or "PETA" thing - I'm getting a bit preachy...

Hugh Beaumont

One of the Regulars
kiltie said:
Dude, I don't want to be a complete jerk, but you're Hugh Beaumont - the Beaver's dad - what do you know about rugged boots? :p ;)

Yes, it's true, I currently own and have owned stuff from Todds', and it's solid. I'm really on a US made kick now though, and it's sort of my "going green" or "PETA" thing - I'm getting a bit preachy...

lol lol

Little did anyone know that Ward was a closet adventurer. I mean seriously, no one really knew what he did. Just came home with a brief case and no one asked any questions. ;)

Aren't authentic Aldens made in the UK??

kiltie

Practically Family
Made in the USA. I have to admit, I was lucky enough to score mine second hand. There's no way I would have been able to afford them at full price. For that, I have Redwings ;) .

You think Ward's briefcase, or at least what was in it, was the same as Pulp Fiction?

gilwood

New in Town
AlanC said:

Anyone have an email address for Bryan?

Fifty150

One Too Many
Here in The City, we have an Alden store and an Allen Edmonds store. Both offer great looking shoes. Has anyone here owned both, and can offer a comparison? I would like to know how they compare side by side after a few years of use and abuse.

filfoster

One Too Many
Todds is a great costumer. The items are solid, quallity items, but costumes none the less. The Outdoorsman boots ( I think that's what they're called ) are Chinese reproductions coming in at about $80. I've heard they're alright, but they're a fairly new product. As such, and as with any new product, there are still kinks being worked out. And again, their reproductions - I dunno how they'd take to repairs, etc...

I have both the Todd's "Outdoorsman's" boots and a pair of real Alden 405's. I got the Todd's boots first and something just gnawed on me to have the real thing.
Yes, ditto on kudos to Todd but these boots are not sturdy, perhaps not even real leather (I can't really tell but they look synthetic on very close inspection of a cross section of the tongue), certainly not Alden quality! If you just want a display item, they're fine; if you want to wear them in the rain, pack a spare.
I think $330 for a 'real' pair is a steal when they are retailing for $450. I found mine at the $330 on sale here:http://www.johnhelmer.com/prod.itml/icOid/237 last year but see they are now back to full bore retail.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic