Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander leather sleeve length

minisoda

Familiar Face
After way too much planning and research, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Alexander Roadster Seal Jerky HH. I love the dark rich leather and found one on their sale page.

My chest is right at 40. I'm 5'9" and around 170 lb. I compared measurements on this size 42 jacket to a couple around the house. At 26.5" measured from shoulder seam down, the sleeves seem really long. The back is maybe a tad short, but that's the style. Other measurements feel about right.

What do folks think about longer sleeves? Anyone else with my dimensions that would be good with that sleeve length? I'd hate to return it all the way to Scotland.

minisoda

Familiar Face
What's the best way to take the arm measurement? I'm measuring from the shoulder seam down to wrist when I compared other jackets...

Last edited:
If you're measuring a jacket sleeve then that is the correct way(measure on the outside of the sleeve..not down the middle). What does one of your well fitting jacket sleeves measure?
HD

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm the same height/weight/chest as the OP. My ideal sleeve length is 25 and 25.5 can work. Some of us have longer arms than others, but 26.5 is probably going to be too long for you. I can only speak for myself, but it would drive me nuts having an extra 1-1.5 of sleeve length.

I would imagine that AL would gladly shorten the sleeves for you. I seem to remember that they did that free of charge for someone else here on TFL who bought a sale jacket, but that seemed too good to true and I wouldn't expect any company to do that free for a sale jacket. Regardless, if you like the jacket and the rest of the measurements work, it would be worth it to pay to have the sleeves shortened. The AL Sale Page has some great deals.

Aaron, I'm about your height and weight and I think you'd be fine with 25.5. Maybe 26, tops. I find 25 inch sleeves a tad too short - it looks okay I guess, though only as long as I don't raise my arms - so my ideal sleeve length would also be 26 inches. My Aero MC jacket has sleeves 26.5 inch but that's only because I ride...

minisoda

Familiar Face
Ok, I just measured a north face fleece that fits me perfectly. Laid out flat and measuring from the top of the seam they are right at 25.5". The measurement across the front to he other shoulder seam is 21".

How easy is it for a local tailor to shorten the sleeves? I'd hate to have AL do it and then arrive with sleeves that are too short.

If I did have AL do it, I think I'd have them pull back to 25.75 to be safe.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
What is your shirt size? Mine is 16 X 37 and have found my "sweet spot" for jacket sleeve length to be just a smidgen over 27".

Last edited:

minisoda

Familiar Face
Shirt size is 16.5 34/35, so that would put me at a jacket sleeve length around 25". Thanks!

Dr.Seuss

One of the Regulars
Aaron:

For me, sleeve length is the Gordian Knot/Pandora's Box, of fit. I can live with a looser feel in the chest/back, but short sleeves (or what I consider short) is my bane.
My dress shirts are 17.5 x 40; my Aero Maxwell's sleeves are 31 inches. My next jacket will be ordered at 33 (maybe 32.5). But then, I want the end of the cuff to reach longer than where my thumb joins my hand. I so dislike the "cuff creep" which occurs when reaching forward (to drive, for example).

A consideration you need to take; the cuff/sleeve "creep" which occurs as the leather wrinkles. Some say 1/2 inch overall. I found my jacket (most likely due to my very long arms) lost closer to 1 inch in overall length.

Finally, be aware of the further effects of weathering and a hot water treatment. While I have not done so, some report the hot water treatment can cause an additional loss of length.

(Wow, Dr. Seuss, quite a rant. Whatever, I amuse myself. Sleeves are my pet peeve. When you spend a lifetime trying to get the cuff to at least your wrist; I say, get the jacket right. You can shorten them. Lengthening is cerebral suicide.)

minisoda

Familiar Face
While I'm at it, thought it a good idea to double check all of the other measurements as well. Do these seem inline with a size 42 AL jacket? This is a return item and I don't want to buy a "Unicorn" with odd custom measurements. If I'm measuring right, these seemed fairly close to my measurement on the north face fleece.

Chest : 23"
Sleeve Length : 26.5"
Back Length : 25"
Shoulder to Shoulder : 18.5"

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just sold my size 42 Roadster. The measurements I took for the description were:

Shoulder: 48cm (18.9 inches)
Pit to pit: 60cm (23.6)
Sleeve:64cm (25.2)
Length: 63cm (24.8)

So the only difference is the sleeves are an inch longer. I'd buy it if it measures like it would fit everywhere, wear it for a few months to see if the wrinkling shrinks them and if not take it to a motorcycle leathers repair shop and get them shortened, wouldn't cost you much.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I've got a 44 R Roadster. Sleeve measured as per photo is 25". Running around the outside of the sleeve is 26". These figures are exactly what I would expect for a company using a modern sizing system.

minisoda

Familiar Face
Alright, I bought it! I added a comment about sleeve length and will see what they say... will report back with pics!

After way too much planning and research, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Alexander Roadster Seal Jerky HH. I love the dark rich leather and found one on their sale page.

My chest is right at 40. I'm 5'9" and around 170 lb. I compared measurements on this size 42 jacket to a couple around the house. At 26.5" measured from shoulder seam down, the sleeves seem really long. The back is maybe a tad short, but that's the style. Other measurements feel about right.

What do folks think about longer sleeves? Anyone else with my dimensions that would be good with that sleeve length? I'd hate to return it all the way to Scotland.

I recently ordered a Roaster in Brown grainy steer for AL that was on the sales page.

When it arrived the jacket did not have the same dimensions as were listed on the website. It was 2 inches wider pit to pit and the sleeves did not reach my wrist bone and were listed at 27 inches long. I measured them a just over 25.5.

I had to return the jacket. I tried to go for an exchange, as another jacket had my dimensions on the sale page. This time I got Amanda, who is always very pleasant and efficient to deal with to double check the measurements of the jacket. This one was 2 inches wider pit to pit than listed on the website.

This was a costly exercise, as I live in Sweden. The moral is to ask Amanda to double check all the measurements of the jacket you are interested in.

As for me I got a total refund of the cost of the jacket straight away, however it did cost me 60 quid in shipping, which I could have avoided if only I had Amanda double checked all the measurements.

The jacket was really nicely made and great leather, alas too small for me.

Please note I am not company bashing, just trying to help avoid you extra shipping costs.

Amanda is really great and we had many a laugh during our email exchanges regarding jackets. Amanda is always willing to help and is very patient.

Just double check the measurements.

Regards

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats