Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander leather sleeve length

Plumbline

One Too Many
A GREAT call on getting measurements checked ..... and a phone call saves a multitude of dissapointments :D

I've done this with a number of sale jackets and been saved many times with 3 or 4 jacket suppliers ... and not just jackets manufacturers of shirts, t-shirts and jeans also.

Measure twice, order once :D :D

minisoda

Familiar Face
Perfect, I will call them tomorrow to verify all measurements.

For those of you that have ordered AL sale/returned items were they in near new condition? I would assume they haven't been worn more than a few times and still smell like new leather?

Plumbline

One Too Many
In general they are pretty good ( AL have only been going for 18 months) ..... I've bought three from their "outlet" and all have been great ( Roadster / Drifter / Simmons Bilt ).

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My sales page items were the original label items, basically they made a heap of jackets as they opened and offered them at lower prices to get them out there, so both the sale page jackets I got were brand new and unworn. I believe they offer returned items through the sale page as well but I can't imagine they would be worn more than a few times in someones home to determine they don't fit before being returned at most.

minisoda

Familiar Face
I have to say, I am incredibly impressed by AL so far. I got an immediate response from Amanda this morning taking a precise measurement that was actually closer to 26" on the sleeves. She also said that this jacket was never sold and has probably only been tried on a few times. Already got a tracking number for the shipping!

That kind of customer service is hard to come by these days.

andywuzc

New in Town
I also did the same thing. Today I received my jacket. Nightmare becomes true. The arm length of my jacket reaches around the pit between my thumb and first finger when I drop my arm down.
The rest fits well.
In your opinion, Is it too long for a jacket?
Quick responses will be appreciate as I will have to decide fast return this jacket. I have already send a email asking them if it is possible to shorten arm length after I use for a while and also the cost.

After way too much planning and research, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an Alexander Roadster Seal Jerky HH. I love the dark rich leather and found one on their sale page.

My chest is right at 40. I'm 5'9" and around 170 lb. I compared measurements on this size 42 jacket to a couple around the house. At 26.5" measured from shoulder seam down, the sleeves seem really long. The back is maybe a tad short, but that's the style. Other measurements feel about right.

What do folks think about longer sleeves? Anyone else with my dimensions that would be good with that sleeve length? I'd hate to return it all the way to Scotland.

ProteinNerd

Pictures will help a lot. Keep in mind that with the thicker leathers, sleeves will generally shrink by about 0.5inch as the creasing develops in the elbow area.

dan_t

Practically Family
Pictures will help a lot. Keep in mind that with the thicker leathers, sleeves will generally shrink by about 0.5inch as the creasing develops in the elbow area.

+1 on this.
FWIW, if the sleeve is above the knuckles when arms are straight (and the jacket is new), I'd say it will be OK in the long run. For all of the hassel sending it back to shorten the sleeves, what are you actually going to take out, a half inch perhaps?

If the rest of the jacket is a great fit, I say wear the heck out of it and enjoy your new jacket!!

p.s. Photo's will REALLY help with feedback.......

Superfluous

+2. I have heard many accounts of sleeves that were just right when new, but too short a year later. Therefore, I always try to make the sleeves a tad too long when new in order to accommodate the inevitable shrinkage. Moreover, IMHO, sleeves that are slightly too long are far better than sleeves that are too short.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
+2. I have heard many accounts of sleeves that were just right when new, but too short a year later. Therefore, I always try to make the sleeves a tad too long when new in order to accommodate the inevitable shrinkage. Moreover, IMHO, sleeves that are slightly too long are far better than sleeves that are too short.

+1 even if they don't shorten as much as you want initially, you can have them fixed to the right length after six months or so when the jacket's settled down and broken in a bit.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
When measuring sleeves, it should be done the same way a dress shirt sleeve is measured: From the center of the back, shoulder, then down the side, bent elbow to the wrist. Reason: Shoulder width has an impact: A jacket with a 18.5 shoulder will likely have a different effective sleeve length than the same jacket with a 19.5 width shoulder. My shoulder seam to sleeve hem range from 24-25.5 for this reason.

andywuzc

New in Town
Thank you guys for all the inputs. I really appreciate. I can not take picture because in my temporary room there is no mirrors to do a selfy.
I have already return the jacket. AL will do free of charge to shorten 1 inch. I normally should fit with 26 inches and this new one is 27.5 inches.
After correction, it should be 26.5''.
@ykurtz: yes, the shoulder length is a bit bigger than my actual width which also contribute to the extra length ultimately. So, 27.5 becomes around 28''.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace