Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers Leather?

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
hi hpalapdog. I never brought up the issue of abrasion resistance which I'm well aware of. Why did you mention it?

The point I was making is the speed the paint, pigment or dye rubs off is not directly linked to the tanning type or leather type underneath.

Played around in photoshop...Is this a closer colour match ?

On ebay recently there was an early Eastman black Luftwaffe jacket. These were made of cowhide with a brown leather and black topcoat. Over the years most of the finish had worn off and the seller described the jacket as brown. It had developed a really nice patina that the current black on black horsehide ELC will never develop.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The point I was making is the speed the paint, pigment or dye rubs off is not directly linked to the tanning type or leather type underneath.

Played around in photoshop...Is this a closer colour match ?

Yes, that's closer to the colour but the wear is more obvious in life. So why does some goat easily get a worn look while others almost never do?

Last edited:

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Lost Worlds use some sort of bombproof finish on their jackets. Probably some sort of modern plastisol acrylic rather than traditional pigment finish that wears quicker. Aniline and semi-aniline also wear quickly.
If a leather had been drum dyed black after tanning the wear to the black top finish, would of course, not be so noticeable.

Last edited:

polygraphmark

New in Town
Man I have to thank Plumbline for the incredible lesson. I wish my calculus teacher could have made math as understandable as Plumbline has made understanding the tanning process. Thanks so much.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lost Worlds use some sort of bombproof finish on their jackets. Probably some sort of modern plastisol acrylic rather than traditional pigment finish that wears quicker. Aniline and semi-aniline also wear quickly.
If a leather had been drum dyed black after tanning the wear to the black top finish, would of course, not be so noticeable.
Careful there. After a suggestion like that, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there was a guy with a heavy Queens accent lurking in the shadows at the end of your block. "Pond" or no pond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner