Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Thanks HPA ..... looks like a slightly different shade as well ..... got my samples this morning so not had time to post pics ( and don't need to now) ... gonna mash mine up a little and see how it'll look. Looks good though :D

I prefer a darker brown on a light tan base so I reckon the Warhawk vintage brown would develop good patina.

A while back I was tempted to buy this brown sleeve zip highwayman on Aero's used section.

Stand By

One Too Many
Clearly says 'Made in England ' above the Cabourn label . Once again they're up to their mis-labeling again
This is brand labelling. I think PL is right to say there will be a fuller label elsewhere in the garment/packaging.

It wouldn't be a surprise to discover that small makers produce special items for fashion market sellers and these are labelled as the final seller sees fit - with adherence to sales information rules. I know of at least one English leather goods company that has made items for high fashion houses, with no expectation of any label declaration.

I hardly think anyone is misled. We know where it came from. And the fashion buyers probably couldn't care less.

I totally agree.
I think that this has everything to do with brand recognition; Nigel Cabourn - as a brand name - is synonymous with England and this merely maintains that on his own label. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

My ELC RW B-6 from 1998 or so also has a JCB (yes, the same people who make diggers and earth-movers!) label in it as well as, I believe, they commissioned ELC to make them. Why, I have NO idea. But so what?

Meerkat

Familiar Face
A disaster with a particularly hot wash, and a whole generation of fashion atrocities was created...

Not as wonderful as Billy Connollys leggings..when is that independence referendum for Scotland? September will sort out the sassenach lovers from the highlanders....

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Not sure someone from Scotland should be throwing stones. You are after all responsible for quite a bit fashion crime........

A disaster with a particularly hot wash, and a whole generation of fashion atrocities was created...

Craig, how could you:p This is such an iconic look from the 1970s, you would have to have lived this era to appreciate it. I can still remember just about every girl in secondary school from 12 to around 15 years old sporting a bit of tartan somewhere on their school uniform, even if just a scarf in the middle of summer. Also a school friend(male) was sent home as he had tartan around the bottom of his uniform trousers to try to impress those young girls.

wdw

One Too Many
Happy days indeed. Tuesday afternoons, quickly home from school sports to watch Shang-a-Lang
at 4:20.

Then back oot tae get hammered afore tea...

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Plumbline, I wasn't referring to any previous issues any jacket maker may have had and I certainly wasn't targeting you so chill out. I'm aware that a brand may want their own label on clothing, that's fine. I'm a person of Celtic origin and I hate to see Celtic nations lumped in with England. Simple as that.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
Yes, I believe you're correct - pocket layout, plus the way it gathers in at the waist suggests to me if we had a side view we'd see a large, elasticated panel pull it in, which was part of that design.

Nope. Zip sleeve highwayman with swing back and slant top pockets.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm aware that a brand may want their own label on clothing, that's fine. I'm a person of Celtic origin and I hate to see Celtic nations lumped in with England. Simple as that.

As an Englishman I 100% agree with that comment Highway. Too much emphasis on British and not enough England Ireland Scotland and Wales.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
As an Englishman I 100% agree with that comment Highway. Too much emphasis on British and not enough England Ireland Scotland and Wales.

excuse me Ireland is not British and labels accordingly.. On a serious note or half serious note it is unusual wording on the label...made in U.K being more common ..then again I did visit the designers website and apparently Sherpa Tenzing only assisted Hillary lol so no surprises there.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not as wonderful as Billy Connollys leggings..when is that independence referendum for Scotland? September will sort out the sassenach lovers from the highlanders....

Don't go there. It's a nasty, dark, poisonous place, and there's no humour to be had out of it.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Plumbline, I wasn't referring to any previous issues any jacket maker may have had and I certainly wasn't targeting you so chill out. I'm aware that a brand may want their own label on clothing, that's fine. I'm a person of Celtic origin and I hate to see Celtic nations lumped in with England. Simple as that.

The term Celtic nations is an historical and linguistic one in reality. The influence of the Celts on language and culture far exceeded the actual number of ethnic Celts who settled on the western fringes of Europe in the bronze age.

The majority in the country we now know as Scotland is probably of Danish and Anglo Saxon origin BTW. The Scots under Kenneth Macalpin established the kingdom of Alba when the Northern Pics were wiped out by the Norwegians, and then took advantage of the Danish invasion of England and expanded south into Northumbria absorbing many English speakers as they went. These people became known to the Scots as Sassenachs or Saxons in Gaelic.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
excuse me Ireland is not British and labels accordingly.. On a serious note or half serious note it is unusual wording on the label...made in U.K being more common ..then again I did visit the designers website and apparently Sherpa Tenzing only assisted Hillary lol so no surprises there.

Eh ? There is nothing unusual about a made in England label. Hilllary was a Kiwi, what's that got to do with anything ?

Last edited:

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
Yes, I believe you're correct - pocket layout, plus the way it gathers in at the waist suggests to me if we had a side view we'd see a large, elasticated panel pull it in, which was part of that design.

It's not a Windward, no front piping. No American cuff. The pockets aren't angled down, the picture itself is taken from an angle.

The waist looks elasticated because the tabs are drawn all the way in. It's a zip sleeve Highwayman with two pockets instead of a front yoke and a bi swing instead of a back yoke.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
The term Celtic nations is an historical and linguistic one in reality. The influence of the Celts on language and culture far exceeded the actual number of ethnic Celts who settled on the western fringes of Europe in the bronze age.

The majority in the country we now know as Scotland is probably of Danish and Anglo Saxon origin BTW. The Scots under Kenneth Macalpin established the kingdom of Alba when the Northern Pics were wiped out by the Norwegians, and then took advantage of the Danish invasion of England and expanded south into Northumbria absorbing many English speakers as they went. These people became known to the Scots as Sassenachs or Saxons in Gaelic.
there aint no 'x' in gaelic...mind you my knowledge of basque is shaky. Sassanach in Irish gaelic ' means 'an English person....I am sure that following the Normans Vikings and Romans what exactly constitutes an English person is er open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana