Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

John Lever

One Too Many
Progress on my Merino Irvin so far -
2011/03/11 10:19 VILLE ST-LAURENT International item has left Canada
2011/03/08 16:39 MONTREAL Item processed at postal facility
2011/03/07 12:30 MISSISSAUGA Item processed at postal facility
2011/02/22 15:07 GEORGETOWN Item accepted at the Post Office

2 weeks just to leave Canada ...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is really slow progress. John do you think we should take bets on when it will arrive? I hope it returns in decent condition.

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi Soren,
It's close, maybe a couple more days.
12-04-2011 10:33 International Hub Awaiting Customs clearance
12-04-2011 09:53 International Hub Received in destination country
11-03-2011 10:19 MONTREAL Forwarded for export
22-02-2011 15:07 Delivery Agent - CANADA Collected from customer

5thumbs

New in Town
Back in 87 I bought an ALC jacket which served me well for many years. As time passed it no longer fitted me as well and I recently fancied getting a replacement. After seeing pictures of Soren's 'lightweight' ALC jacket on the original Irvin thread I swapped a couple of emails with him to clarify a few details and I recently ordered a lightweight ALC jacket in the standard Irvin pattern (not to be confused with the lightweight 'motoring' jacket ALC also produces).

So the jacket arrived a few days ago (just in time for the hot weather !) and I have to say I'm very very pleased. The lightweight fleece is fantastic - so much lighter and more flexible than my old bulky jacket and the overall quality is outstanding. The fleece on the cuffs and hems is much less fluffy than their stanard offering and the overall effect is more restrained. I know from reading this forum that ALC jackets are not the most authentic but for me it's ideal - great for driving top down in my old MG roadster and for standing on windswept airfields when I'm waiting to fly at my local gliding club. I miss the lovely worn-in look of my old jacket and this one certainly needs a bit of wear and tear to make it mine but that will come in time.

So the point of this post is to say that ALC jackets don't have to be overstuffed bulky teddy bear jackets. The company will quite quite happily use a lighter fleece if you ask and as someone who has owned the original bulky jacket I for one would recommend the this option without hesitation. Nope, they are not as authentic as an Eastman or as desireable as an original (and I'm still keeping an eye out for a good one) but as a well made everyday jacket they are excellent.

So thanks for your input Soren, now I cant wait for autumn (much to Mrs 5thumbs disgust ;-) !

Andy

Last edited:

aswatland

Welcome to the forum Andy. It seems as if you have just bought your ideal lighter weight Irvin. Is the skin side a dark seal brown or a lighter chestnut colour? Some pics of the jacket would be much appreciated.

5thumbs

New in Town
Hi Andrew

I've often admired the pictures of the fantastic original Irvins which you have posted on here.

My jacket is the typical ALC colour -quite dark, as opposed to the chestnut colour of many originals. I will post some pictures but tbh its nothing special - just a good everyday jacket (but I love it ).

Andy

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well done Andy and great to hear you're chuffed with your new Irvin. As Andrew says, it'd be great to see some pics, I wouldn't say no to a couple of snaps of your MG as well ;)

And John, looking forward to the photos. I bet the wait has been worth it.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Looking forward to see both jackets, John and Andy - here is the most resent one of my AERO:

Parup_Farve-081442_lowres.jpg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Andrew- one of my former students took this for his bachelor project. And the jacket only came out for this picture. The weather is much too warm now.

aswatland

John you must be so pleased to finally have your Irvin back again.It is the best looking 1942 pattern Eastman jacket that I have seen. It could easily be mistaken for an original. It really is a shame Eastman are unable to make Irvins from sheepskin with the character of that used on this jacket. I'm glad your search is finally over!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Wow - now I fully understand why you waited for that one. What a beauty! Can only agree with Andrew on the character of the sheepskin. That's the texture I am looking for in replicas. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner