Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Hi Worf,

I once spoke with a seamstress about shortening some shirts and she told me for something around 2+ inches it would be best to do the alteration at the TOP of the sleeve. So the sleeve would be unstitched at the shoulder, shortened, and then re-stitched.

John

Worf

I'll Lock Up
How much are you looking to have taken off the cuffs?

Probably 1.5 to 2 inches. As it is now sleeves almost to my thumbnail and when I zip em up my hands fall asleep until the zip loosens up. I never tried rolling them up didn't know how that would work with the zips in the sleeves.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Hi Worf,

I once spoke with a seamstress about shortening some shirts and she told me for something around 2+ inches it would be best to do the alteration at the TOP of the sleeve. So the sleeve would be unstitched at the shoulder, shortened, and then re-stitched.

John

This is SOP with better tailors, in particular for jackets with button holes, especially working button holes. I should think the zip fastening on the Irvin's sleeves would necessitate this approach.

Sloan you weren't knocking anything that I know of... I know Spitty's ole Aero Pre-War isn't perfect, didn't expect it to be. I'd sltill like to get the sleeves shortened. I don't wear the Irvin for fashion anyway... just plain ole freeze mah butt off protection. YOUR Irvin on the other hand is a goat of a different flavor! That thing is purty! Can't wait to see you in all your satorial, if you know what I mean.

Worf

I know people knock Aero's Mil Repops, but I'm sure the Irvin isn't goat lol

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Probably 1.5 to 2 inches. As it is now sleeves almost to my thumbnail and when I zip em up my hands fall asleep until the zip loosens up. I never tried rolling them up didn't know how that would work with the zips in the sleeves.

Worf

Ken told me that it was a common practice among pilots, you just flip them back on themselves.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Spitty I'll give it a try. Speaking of Irvins I came home yesterday and found this post WWII pot-boiler on T.V. It was Victor Mature's birthday and in 1957 he starred in this British film called "The Long Haul". Pretty non-descript movie except that when driving he, and many other drivers, wear duffels and surplus Irvins. It's in B&W so the patina's and age of jackets are tough to gauge but there sure were some nice ones. in there. On the question of sleeve length I'll try rolling them up and if that doesn't work I recently got an email from Ken Calder who informed me how the shortening SHOULD be done if it comes to that. It was a private conversation so I didn't persume to put his post up here right now.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It was indeed! Haven't had a chance to do any wear pics and report yet, but here's a teaser of the Irvin with some of its forebears:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Søren, that is the best repro Irvin I have seen. The collar looks even better now after you had Jon trim it :eusa_clap

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Thank you gents. This will be my last post. The reason can be found in the now closed "Loungers that you miss"-thread in the Observation Bar.
Stay calm and carry on. Se you at the VLJ Forum.
Ciao.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Ah Spitty, I log in to compliment you that Fab Irvin and I read you're leaving!!!! Wha!!!! You introduced me to the wonderful world of Irvins! You're responsible for my obsession! Arrrgh! I don't know the in's and out's of your beef but I hope you change your mind and come back! You've been aces with me!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy