Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Deacon211

One Too Many
The 13 years of wear seem to have been going over lightly on your B6 jacket, it`s hardly to be seen. And the gentle use of conditioner do not seem to have hurt the jacket at all.

I just wonder why the B6 jacket are allowed to have sidepockets, and the Irvin not. As I understand it, Irvin himself designed both jackets for USAAF and RAF. Were there some kind of individual demand for the RAF jacket not to have sidepockets?

I had thought, mostly from reading "Hell Bent for Leather" that the choice to exclude pockets from most flying jackets was indeed a matter of not encouraging people to be standing around with their hands in their pockets.

This was frowned upon even when I was in the service in the 90s and 00s. As Marines, we used to refer to trouser pockets as "Army Mittens"...I'm sure that the Army called them Marine Mittens. ;)

How the B-6 skirted that general trend is a mystery, but it was the shape of things to come apparently. It looks like the B-15 and on had side pockets that could be used as handwarmer pockets if one chose to.

Deacon

P.S. By way of disclosure, I wasn't too "gentle" in my application of conditioner on my B-6....I buttered that thing up like a muffin! LOL!

But I appreciate you being easy on me with my misspent leather youth. :)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Irvin jacket was designed as part of a two piece suite with the trousers, which had the pockets. Irvins were often worn over service jackets and these had pockets, so there was no need for pockets on the jackets.

Deacon211

One Too Many
The Irvin jacket was designed as part of a two piece suite with the trousers, which had the pockets. Irvins were often worn over service jackets and these had pockets, so there was no need for pockets on the jackets.

Interesting. I'm actually surprised that trouser pockets on something that bulky would be all that useful. I found the patch pockets on the G-1 actually fairly useful when I moved out of tactical aircraft. They are high enough to actually get into when seated...although I guess a standing gunner wouldn't have that problem.

Thanks for the info!

Deacon

alsendk

A-List Customer
Mystery concerning the side pockets solved thanks to Andrew.

The Irvin ALC jacket that I own is said to be the least accurate Irvin on the market. The zippers are all wrong, the side pockets, the large amount of shearling wool used, making it appear teddybear like...all this seem to be wrong, compared to the original ones, and I agree.
But still it is a very well made jacket, and I have come to like it very much. It is very warm and comfy, and if accuracy is a minor issue, it is not a totally bad Irvin jacket to purchase I think.

1-KIF_3910.jpg
1-KIF_3913.jpg
1-KIF_3919.jpg
1-KIF_3923.jpg
1-KIF_3930.jpg
1-KIF_3935-001.jpg
1-KIF_3944.jpg
1-KIF_3929.jpg
1-KIF_3926.jpg
1-KIF_3940-001.jpg
1-KIF_3928.jpg
1-KIF_3939.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
In case you wonder about my battered floorboards ... I live in a big old three storey warehouse from 1910

View attachment 11974

Nice pad Alan. At first glance I thought it was a flash new restaurant in KBH ;)

Søren had an original ALC back when he joined the FL which had a really fantastic patina - think he might have sold it to someone here.

Enjoy the jacket, if you're happy that's all that matters!

alsendk

A-List Customer
Yes Smithy, I saw Sørens old ALC further back in this long lovely thread. It looks like they made more accurate Irvins back then, but The Aces High Irvins really seem to have nailed it

Deacon211

One Too Many
I agree, what a fantastic place to live...I've always wanted a house like this!

Also agree on the ALC. Looks like a beautiful jacket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Can't remember if I have shown these pics before, but when talking 'bout ALC jackets, here are a few pics of my late fathers very old ALC Irvin. It dates back to the late 70's.

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
Nice living space Alan! Your jacket looks very much like my old one. I had it from New, early 90's, not the best reproduction, but still a very nice jacket. It started out fluffy, but the years , moisture and wear were turning it curly as I see yours is going.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Well, my 48 finally came in and it fits great. Overall, I love the jacket though I feel like the Michelin Man, LOL!

P4070660.jpg

P4070664.jpg

P4070667.jpg

P4070669.jpg

P4070671.jpg

P4080674.jpg

P4080676.jpg

P4080679.jpg

P4080683.jpg

P4080682.jpg

Thanks for all the advice on the jackets. Like my last ELC purchase, this Irvin seems pretty stiff to start out, but I think it will break in just fine after a little wearing.

Deacon

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Congratulations, Deacon. Looking really, really great. And some very nice fleece too!
Just you wait - after a couple of years of use - and misuse - it will look and feel absolutely great! And you will feel at home in it.
To quote one of my favorite Volvo ads: Use it like you hate it! :)

Deacon211

One Too Many
Thanks guys!

As it is rapidly warming into spring, I've been forced to be creative and wear it driving to work with the windows down.

It makes for some strange looks on the highway! :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alsendk

A-List Customer
The Irvin is build for high altitudes...and cold scandinavian climates. In least in some perspectives - a few of us are living in the right places for enjoying the Irvin jacket the fullest :D

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Deacon... I've a used aero Irvin and I felt and looked like the Sta-Puff Marshmallow man. Don't know when you're gonna be able to wear that thing in Kentucky but I've lived in my Irvin the last couple of winters here in upstate New York. Nice jacket... enjoy..

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana