Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

devilish

A-List Customer
I looked into going to Duxford this year as I'll be back in England but as I'll be on a limited budget for awhile the over £100 just for the train tickets will most likely keep me away. Too bad.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I looked into going to Duxford this year as I'll be back in England but as I'll be on a limited budget for awhile the over £100 just for the train tickets will most likely keep me away. Too bad.

How about a coach or hitch hiking to save money? It would be great to meet you too.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hitch hiking? I know you're a historian, but which century are you living in now?!
I'd be amazed if you'd get many people stopping to offer a lift these days.

devilish

A-List Customer
I hitched to and from London many times when I was younger but that was 25yrs ago at least. I do have friends who live closer and could maybe break the journey up into cheaper chunks. I don't think I could persuade any of them to drive and spend the day though. I'll see if a plan can be hatched that would get me there somehow.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hitch hiking? I know you're a historian, but which century are you living in now?!
I'd be amazed if you'd get many people stopping to offer a lift these days.

True Ian. The hitch hiking was a little tongue in cheek as you really see few people doing it these days, with safeguarding so important. There are very cheap coaches for sure!

devilish

A-List Customer
Talked to my brother today. He is an old pro at finding cheap train tickets so he reckons a deal or two can be found. So, I am not giving up hope just yet.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
100GBP for a train ticket???? Where are you getting on?
Paris? Berlin? :)

As far as I can see it's about 35GBP for a ticket from London to Cambridge. From Cambridge there are - or used to be - FREE shuttle busses from the train station to the airfield.

devilish

A-List Customer
I would be coming from Plymouth, which is why National Rail gave a price of £108 but as I've now found out from family, deals can be found. If I were just coming from London it would be no problem and I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Not everyone in England lives in London though.

The distance is almost exactly the same as if I were coming from Paris.

Last edited:

mac-v

New in Town
Thank you,and I will post it in the classifieds.and may I say its been a pleasure reading all youre posts.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
100GBP for a train ticket???? Where are you getting on?
Paris? Berlin? :)

As far as I can see it's about 35GBP for a ticket from London to Cambridge. From Cambridge there are - or used to be - FREE shuttle busses from the train station to the airfield.

You may be aware we just love to have engineering works on the railways at weekends. Buggers up everything, even going to work on the train on sundays..... to work on trains

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I would be coming from Plymouth, which is why National Rail gave a price of £108 but as I've now found out from family, deals can be found. If I were just coming from London it would be no problem and I wouldn't have even mentioned it. Not everyone in England lives in London though.

The distance is almost exactly the same as if I were coming from Paris.

Sorry, it was just meant as a joke. Of course not everyone lives in London. Some of us even lives in Copenhagen, and has to go by plane, before we take the train...but anyway: Hope you get there, and will look forward to have a pint with you. Tally Ho! :)

devilish

A-List Customer
Thanks to TFL classified I'm now a member of the repro Irvin club. The ELC BoB I bought from CoreyM arrived and fits perfectly. I'll try and post a fit photo in here soon even though with the current weather here I'll be overheating quickly. Now the long wait begins until I am back in my home country and winter rolls around again.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Share and compare:
To give any newcomers a chance to figure out which producers makes which Irvins, I just want to post some of the different Irvins I've owned on my way to the final one.

My first Irvin was a very early Aviation Leather Craft (ALC) Bought way back in the seventies.

Then I bought another one from ALC 10 years after the first one - but sold it off, because it was way too heavy, stiff and cumbersome.
Asked them if they could make one for me in their so called lightweight fleece. They did.

It actually was quite nice. But not accurate enough by far!
So I went for the cheap WPG one:

Nice looking - but you get what you pay for. So off it went...only to buy one from AERO in Scotland

Straight out of the box it looked like that. A huge teddybear with straight fur....not good.
So I gave it the the dreaded hot water treatment. Twice!!!! The result was brilliant.

What a change!!!! But I was still not satisfied. The sleeves were wrong, the zippers were wrong.
So off it went. And then I read about Aces High. Ordered one of Jon's very first Irvins:

That was it! The most perfect copy of a early WWII Irvin. In every sense! To the last detail.

Thank you for watching!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails