Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Windsock said:
It may be the way you've photographed it but it appears that taper is quite extreme compared to originals. It appears to form a straight line taper from the elbow, when of course the whole arm is a more complex shape.

I must say I agree with you Andrew. I have not seen such an extreme taper on originals either.

John Lever

One Too Many
Bought this today

IMGP3313.jpg

IMGP3319.jpg

IMGP3316.jpg

IMGP3315.jpg

IMGP3314.jpg

IMGP3312.jpg

IMGP3307.jpg

The arms on this one are truly massive, the outer is soft and the wool curly and shiny. I know it's slightly big on me but that's the way I like my jackets.
They just don't make 'em like this any more.

aswatland

Impressive John. I like the chestnut finish, which reminds me of mid war Wareings jackets and the curly fleece. It looks like its early '90s production. The fit is spot on IMO. I'm not a fan of Irvins which are a snug fit.

John Lever

One Too Many
Hi Andrew,
It has more shine in the wool which also has a slightly better colour. The outer also has more shine.
As it's never been worn it's brand new so it's like a new conker.

aswatland

John Lever said:
Hi Andrew,
It has more shine in the wool which also has a slightly better colour. The outer also has more shine.
As it's never been worn it's brand new so it's like a new conker.

John, is this not a subjective view? I guess if you like a very shiny Irvin this is the one for you. However most originals were not this shiny and the colour of the fleece varied enormously. I'm not sure about the better fleece colour-its all a matter of personal preference.;)

John Lever

One Too Many
aswatland said:
John, is this not a subjective view? I guess if you like a very shiny Irvin this is the one for you. However most originals were not this shiny and the colour of the fleece varied enormously. I'm not sure about the better fleece colour-its all a matter of personal preference.;)

Of course it's subjective .
The problem is have you ever seen a jacket fresh from the factory in 1941 ?

aswatland

John Lever said:
Of course it's subjective .
The problem is have you ever seen a jacket fresh from the factory in 1941 ?

Have you? Actually I have several near mint Irvins and the areas of sheepskin which have been out of the light, such as behind the sleeve zips, give one a very good impression of the factory finish. Here are some pictures of one such jacket-no shiny finish and the exposed outer leather is identical to that hidden under the sleeve zips.

006-27.jpg

007-26.jpg

008-31.jpg

014-25.jpg

019-17.jpg

015-31.jpg

012-31.jpg

011-27.jpg

016-24.jpg

010-31.jpg

John Lever

One Too Many
It does have some shine though Andrew.
The point about my question is that things change over time whether exposed to light or not.
You liked my jacket originally why the sudden change of heart ?

aswatland

John Lever said:
It does have some shine though Andrew.
The point about my question is that things change over time whether exposed to light or not.
You liked my jacket originally why the sudden change of heart ?

I still like your jacket as a repro but prefer originals and always have done.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nice Shade

I like both the Eastman jackets, just the right shade of brown for me! Unless you are doing Living History, the exact shade is not as important as what your eye likes. I know they say theirs are exact copies, but go to the discussions on reproduction A2s and you will see that no reproduction will please the experts! Wear what you like, just wish I had found the 44 at a price I could afford!

hamburg

New in Town
New Irvin user

Proud new owner of a used Eastman '42 jacket is reporting for duty.

img0783l.jpg

img0785qi.jpg

img0786l.jpg

img0789qk.jpg

I’ve been reading Irvin threads here on FL for some time now and I have to say I have learned a lot. Still I have a few questions.
Is it possible to find out when was my jacket made? From your pictures all your jackets have a shiny look but mine doesn’t. Should I treat it with something?

Thank you

Rudi

aswatland

Welcomed to the forum Hamburg. Your ELC 42 pattern Irvin was most likely made within the last five years. Wear it in good health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy