Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Mike K

New in Town
Point taken. I'm still hoping to be happy with the WPG Irvin though. It's a beautiful jacket and just the right weight for wearing in more than just the bitter cold of January and February. I have a heavy B3 replica that I can only wear on those really cold days. I wore it plowing the big snow a few months ago and let's just say that at 30,000 feet it would have been fine but at 25 degrees and sea level the coat was a bit too toasty!

To correct one thing you wrote: The seam tapes, belt, and collar back are no longer a vinyl/plastic. Entire jacket is leather/hide material. I confirmed this with Jerry before ordering.

I think that my gripes are just a QC issue.

Mike K

New in Town
I know that this is an Irvin RAF thread .

*Please KEEP IT that way* (any other jacket types, then find that apppropriate ongoing thread 'or' start a new one - thanks). Paddy (Bartender).

Mike K

New in Town
It's awfully quiet here but I still feel the need to post about my experience with the WPG Irvin's. The replacement replica arrived and while the fur was intact the color was still a Hershey cocoa brown, the hide was mostly pretty stiff, the cut just seemed off. The sleeves seemed to be very wide at the shoulder to very narrowat the wrist. Last issue was that the assembler missed about an inch and a quater of stitching at the back to collar seam just above the hang chain. It was only held together by the stitching of the seam tape. No way I was going to keep it. Another bad one. I contacted WPG and got a
somewhat chilly response but we worked out an exchange for a
two-tone B3 and a refund of the difference in price. Can't complain about that but my fingers are crossed hoping that the QC on the B-3's is better. As luck would have it I came across a WPG Irvin second hand for a reasonable price and I have to say that I love it. It was made about 1 1/2 years ago and it was definately from a good batch. Excellent quality hide and fur, very soft and supple and the color is exactly what I expected in the first place. The tapes, belt and collar are all leather. It fits perfectly. Now I understand all of the praise for the WPG jackets. It's beautiful.

Mike

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That was my experience as well, Mike K.

I ordered one last year and it arrived with a broken zipper.
Sent it back for a refund. Then I picked up a used one here
that was a year older and I like it very much. My family and
friends think it's silly, but I wear it when it's cold enough and
no one is around- smoking a late night cigar. Maybe tonight...
It's a fine jacket.

Hopefully Jerry will get the message that quality control is
important.

aswatland

New late War Irvin from ELC

Here is the impressive latest Irvin offering from Gary Eastman. I saw the jacket at Duxford last year and it could easily be mistaken for an original. The only thing that lets it down are the zips. The jacket has a new label and the fleece is so similar to many originals. The price though is very high and for £700 you can buy a really decent original.

http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/eastmanleather/products/product-4265011.stm

Mike K

New in Town
Feltfan-- My wife and kids think the jacket is silly as well but I like it. It'll keep me well warm on the cold mornings getting off to work hours before sun up. I work in a hospital and there's nothing funny about going outside in the morning cold in scrubs. It's like going to work in your pajamas. My sheepskin
will keep me warm enough.

Aswatland-- Thats a real beauty. I'm sure they'll sell as many as they can make. Can anyone tell me what the description refers to here: "The main zip is complete with the slider box 'cup' - a unique feature found only on originals and 'Eastmans'!"

Mike

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Oh that does look like an original!

To be honest I'm not a big fan of the late war/multi-panel jobs but that certainly looks just like it came straight off a Lanc crewman's back.

aswatland

hamburg said:
It looks beautiful, but I am waiting for Coastal Command version.

I think you will be in for a long wait as a repro CC jacket is not likely to sell well. You can pick up an original for much less than the price of the latest ELC Irvin.

hamburg

New in Town
That's fine. My wife made it quite clear that she won't welcome another Irvin jacket any time soon. She obviously doesn’t know that there is no such thing as too many Irvin jackets.

aswatland

hamburg said:
That's fine. My wife made it quite clear that she won't welcome another Irvin jacket any time soon. She obviously doesn’t know that there is no such thing as too many Irvin jackets.

So how many do you have at the moment?

hamburg

New in Town
Well, I am just a newbie and got my first ELC a month ago.
I am interested in WW2 and always wanted to have something that is somehow connected to that. As I also admire British for standing alone against the victorious Nazis, Irvin jacket fits the bill quite nice combining the two.
But now I am afraid I became somehow hooked on Irvin jackets and would like to have one from every period – pre, mid and late war as well as already mentioned CC. But for now my wishes outpace my financial possibilities. But in due time ….

xt40

Familiar Face
aswatland said:
I think you will be in for a long wait as a repro CC jacket is not likely to sell well. You can pick up an original for much less than the price of the latest ELC Irvin.

if the only difference is the hood/collar , i cant see why the repro makers dont offer one. for very little effort they could have an extra product in their range. i myself prefer originality but maybe the yellow paint? could be optional. any ive seen in original photos seem to be worn with the hood inside out and if you didnt know what you were looking for , it is hard to tell them apart from the standard ones

aswatland

xt40 said:
if the only difference is the hood/collar , i cant see why the repro makers dont offer one. for very little effort they could have an extra product in their range. i myself prefer originality but maybe the yellow paint? could be optional. any ive seen in original photos seem to be worn with the hood inside out and if you didnt know what you were looking for , it is hard to tell them apart from the standard ones

This has been discussed several times before. Quite simply yellow hooded Irvins will not sell in the numbers conventional ones do and thus for commercial reasons no manufacturer makes them. Most people would not wish to walk down their local high street sporting a yellow hooded jacket! Yes, you can wear them with the hood turned into a collar, but it tends to look lumpy and clumsy.

There are plenty of CC originals out there for those keen to buy one. In general they rarely sell for the same price as a conventional Irvin in similar condition, which speaks volumes. I have owned several such jackets, but have always ended up selling them as they do not have the appeal of the conventional Irvin. Each to his own though.:)

Perhaps the answer is the Irvin with the snap on collar or yellow hood. ;)

aswatland

hamburg said:
Well, I am just a newbie and got my first ELC a month ago.
I am interested in WW2 and always wanted to have something that is somehow connected to that. As I also admire British for standing alone against the victorious Nazis, Irvin jacket fits the bill quite nice combining the two.
But now I am afraid I became somehow hooked on Irvin jackets and would like to have one from every period – pre, mid and late war as well as already mentioned CC. But for now my wishes outpace my financial possibilities. But in due time ….

Are talking about repros rather than originals? These days you can easily pick up a wearable Irvin for less than the price of a new Eastman RAF jacket.

If you are planning to collect originals, its not just the multitude of styles which appeals but jackets from the different makers. I have originals in my collection dating from 1933 to 1944. Once you get the Irvin bug its very hard to escape it.:D

ukali1066

Practically Family
I had a WPG Irvin a couple of years ago...it was the smallest size they make and was a bit too big for me...plus the pleather pieces bugged me...so I sold it on ebay to a very pleased Frenchman for more than it cost me !

Everyone's a winner !

hamburg

New in Town
Yes, I am talking about repros, they don't even have to be new. But it have to be as close to the original as it is possible.
Someday I would like to own a nice original but I would never be able to wear it.

aswatland

hamburg said:
Yes, I am talking about repros, they don't even have to be new. But it have to be as close to the original as it is possible.
Someday I would like to own a nice original but I would never be able to wear it.

Good luck in your search. Why would you never be able to wear an original Irvin? If you get one which fits you it should be a robust wearer as they usually stand the test of time well. I wear all my originals from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy