Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL REPRO R.A.F. Irvin type jackets

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Had both recent ELC pre-war and BOB.
The leather/fleece nowadays is not as " correct " as it used to be.
Next winter I buy an AERO BOB , 2 sizes bigger than I need and give it the water treatment to shrink and " vintage " it...
So far the best alternative IMHO.

Sizing up is the only way to get an Irvin to really look good and 'work' - trapping air and warming it up like a sleeping bag.

Dav

One Too Many
This looks like a perfect fit to me. I'm in the process of ordering now and am second guessing on how much to size up from my suit coat size...1 size up or 2 sizes up. I definitely don't want it looser than this and so am worried about going up to a 46 from my normal 42L...

I've a 42" chest and that's a size 42, as has been said, if you'd like to wear a heavy sweater underneath you'd need to size up.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
This looks like a perfect fit to me. I'm in the process of ordering now and am second guessing on how much to size up from my suit coat size...1 size up or 2 sizes up. I definitely don't want it looser than this and so am worried about going up to a 46 from my normal 42L...
I would do two sizes and then "warm water bath it", it will shrink a bit , and " vintage" a lot and the fleece will look much denser and curlier....like the WW2 versions. There are posts and comparisons about this water bathing on this forum.
It works out very nicely.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I would do two sizes and then "warm water bath it", it will shrink a bit , and " vintage" a lot and the fleece will look much denser and curlier....like the WW2 versions. There are posts and comparisons about this water bathing on this forum.
It works out very nicely.
Geezuz... some people are gamblers... what if it doesn't work, despite the alleged success claimed by some members here?? Did they really succeed or did they badly ruin an expensive purchase and are too embarrassed to admit their huge mistake? Repro Irvin's ain't cheap and if you f**k it up then you're out a ton of money. I recognize that some people have a money tree growing in their backyard, but for those who don't... well whatever.
03bart said:
Dav said:
I've a 42" chest and that's a size 42, as has been said, if you'd like to wear a heavy sweater underneath you'd need to size up.
Go up if you want to layer but probably not +2 sizes, as 03Bart is considering, right?

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Geezuz... some people are gamblers... what if it doesn't work, despite the alleged success claimed by some members here?? Did they really succeed or did they badly ruin an expensive purchase and are too embarrassed to admit their huge mistake? Repro Irvin's ain't cheap and if you f**k it up then you're out a ton of money. I recognize that some people have a money tree growing in their backyard, but for those who don't... well whatever.

Go up if you want to layer but probably not +2 sizes, as 03Bart is considering, right?
If it does not work, I buy you the ruined Aero Irvin back and buy you a new one from Aero...my loss your win... If it works, I love a nice Guiness...you ship me this one to my French address.
You quote me on this...TFL moderators you have all my data and my officer word.
I will do precisely this in Nov. 2017... again, for the 9th time on a fleece jacket from ELC/AERO/ACES HIGH....threads /posts even on TFL.

Last edited:

Achsoo

New in Town
So, actually, going up one size, at the most would probably be the average for people- If they were going to wear a sweater etc.
But, is there any difference between ELC and Aero sizes, i. e. a standard 44? for example.
I like the look of the fleece Aero are using nowadays, more like an original? And better than elc?
Any thoughts or personal experience of either, or both?
Cooper A2 prefers the Aero and Guinness.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
So, actually, going up one size, at the most would probably be the average for people- If they were going to wear a sweater etc.
But, is there any difference between ELC and Aero sizes, i. e. a standard 44? for example.
I like the look of the fleece Aero are using nowadays, more like an original? And better than elc?
Any thoughts or personal experience of either, or both?
Cooper A2 prefers the Aero and Guinness.
N#1 still Aces High, after that AERO ...IMHO AERO has a very nice russet/honey colored fleece, a bit thin in fur, but if you bath it it becomes denser and " thicker", very much like the original " texture". Also, their Waldes zippers ( same for ACES High) are terrific.
IMHO the AERO runs a bit larger in size if compared to others.
However, all prime makers make great Irvin's and other remakes/repro's.
Its just my humble preference, based on experience.

Last edited:

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Just curious, any recent photos from the New Aero Irvins available.
Any happy owner of one of those around ? Would love to see real life pics.
Thx.

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Will post pics later this week, Ive just taken a delivery of a new aero prewar irvin in russet and I'm very impressed. So far I've owned an eastman prewar (not bad but an odd finish to the hide and zips a fair way from being period correct) and an Aces High pre-war/BoB (beautiful, spot on zips, stunning hides, perfect in every aspect).

I have to say, having seen earlier aero Irvins I was a little cautious but had to go the bespoke route to get the right body length. The aero arrived a fortnight ago and it exceeded expectations, fleece and hide colour is near enough that of the aces high but the aces high had the perfect period correct zips and the aero has a slightly more rounded collar and the fleece was curled out-of the box. If you want 100% absolute perfection and are willing to pay £1200 for it, go the Aces High route - I thought the price was steep until I actually got my hands on one (granted I paid £400). If you want a beautiful irvin jacket for £700 and are willing to overlook minor details, go aero.

On the subject of sizing, I'm around a 40 chest, I went to 42 after trying on the coastal command jacket at the aero factory and 42 is perfect and leaves plenty of room for a shirt and sweater. If I was a 42 I would go to a 44 not a 46.

Additionally, I would avoid soaking it despite what people recommend. A few walks in light rain showers and leaving the jacket flat in a warm room afterwards will lose any sheen and curl the fleece up. Bearing in mind the new aero fleece is not fluffy out of the box like their old models and eastmans current model, rather it is already slightly curly as per the aces high jacket.

While soaking the jacket may not immediately have any negative effect it will decrease the lifespan and remove some of the hides natural protection. Bear in mind this is sheep hide, not horse or cow and is much less robust and has less integrity to start with as a result. Treated right an irvin should in theory outlast it's owner. Soaked and dried and shrunk and you will be adding years on but removing longevity. When you see perished examples vs mint but worn examples of original Irvins, if they could talk they would tell you the same thing. I would go up one size, wear it in a couple of light rain showers, leave it in a warm room and no more.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Hi ,
thx for that...
looking forward to receive your pics.
I am just curious , since their photos on their website show a few nice photos.Jacket looks much better than earlier.
I sold my Aces High prewar just a few months ago ...here to a member. Great unbeatable jacket it was... and HWT several times, no issues at all.
Just wanted to see how Aero keeps up.
Thx a lot

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Will post pics later this week, Ive just taken a delivery of a new aero prewar irvin in russet and I'm very impressed. So far I've owned an eastman prewar (not bad but an odd finish to the hide and zips a fair way from being period correct) and an Aces High pre-war/BoB (beautiful, spot on zips, stunning hides, perfect in every aspect).

I have to say, having seen earlier aero Irvins I was a little cautious but had to go the bespoke route to get the right body length. The aero arrived a fortnight ago and it exceeded expectations, fleece and hide colour is near enough that of the aces high but the aces high had the perfect period correct zips and the aero has a slightly more rounded collar and the fleece was curled out-of the box. If you want 100% absolute perfection and are willing to pay £1200 for it, go the Aces High route - I thought the price was steep until I actually got my hands on one (granted I paid £400). If you want a beautiful irvin jacket for £700 and are willing to overlook minor details, go aero.

On the subject of sizing, I'm around a 40 chest, I went to 42 after trying on the coastal command jacket at the aero factory and 42 is perfect and leaves plenty of room for a shirt and sweater. If I was a 42 I would go to a 44 not a 46.

Additionally, I would avoid soaking it despite what people recommend. A few walks in light rain showers and leaving the jacket flat in a warm room afterwards will lose any sheen and curl the fleece up. Bearing in mind the new aero fleece is not fluffy out of the box like their old models and eastmans current model, rather it is already slightly curly as per the aces high jacket.

While soaking the jacket may not immediately have any negative effect it will decrease the lifespan and remove some of the hides natural protection. Bear in mind this is sheep hide, not horse or cow and is much less robust and has less integrity to start with as a result. Treated right an irvin should in theory outlast it's owner. Soaked and dried and shrunk and you will be adding years on but removing longevity. When you see perished examples vs mint but worn examples of original Irvins, if they could talk they would tell you the same thing. I would go up one size, wear it in a couple of light rain showers, leave it in a warm room and no more.
Any pics of a recent Aero Irvin?
thx.

Daze

New in Town
Just as an aside for those poor people amongst us, Soldier of Fortune are now doing a replica irvin, probably similar to WPG but no clue

Dav

One Too Many
Had the Irvin out yesterday, a bit early, but hey any excuse!
DSC_0694 (4) (1024x1024).jpg

Dav

One Too Many
Coming along nicely in my opinion, could do with a couple of new zip pulls on the sleeves, damn gate, but apart from that it's great.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
So I find myself kind of thinking of an Irvin, having just sold a couple of jackets and before that money gets frittered away on things like bills and food...

I can't justify the funds for a new one from Aero or such much as I'd like to, the 2nd hand ones I've seen coming up on eBay in the last few weeks are also being listed at a higher price than I'd like to pay - That and most of them read 'Jacket is in mint condition apart from a hole in the arm/strap cut off/broken zip etc.' which is fine if the price reflects that, but often doesn't seem to.

So the WPG jacket looks to be a contender, both at my price range and the one or two of photos I've seen on here (Photobucket removing about 99% of the ones in this thread somewhat frustratingly) it looks pretty good for the price.

I'm unsure whether to go with my normal suit size of a 44 or go up one size if I do go for one from them. From the older threads it seems true to size is generally okay though I'd like to get a much length in the sleeves body as I could and I guess a size up might help with that.

Any advice on that, or if anyone has received one lately it'd be great to hear/see more.

Also, as an aside, going back and reading this thread from the start its impressive both how availability/patterns have appeared and developed over the last ten or so years and how prices have certainly gone skyward in that time too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo