Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I am a BIG fan of Janome machines. I have a few that I used as teaching machines, as well as a Janome serger. All of my Janome machines have been used and abused, dropped, fallen off a moving truck, everything you can possibly think of and they just keep on ticking! If you're looking for under $100, I would probably go for the Janome 11558. Keep in mind that if you buy a machine from a local dealer, they usually throw in a free "get to know your machine" class. The machine will cost more, but it might be worth it if you've never sewn before.
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sew...wing-Machine-Refurbished/3644244/product.html

Geesie

Practically Family
If you're looking for <$100 and a zig-zag is the fanciest thing you need, look at craigslist and ebay for old machines. A 30 year old machine that was top-of-the-line when it was new for $100 is a better deal than a new Chinese-made plastic bargain heap for $100.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I got Husqvarna Viking in October. I had never heard of the brand before but I guess It's been around for a while. I love it. I have to get used to having such a powerfull motor though. It sews really fast with the tiniest bit of pressure. I don't like the one step button hole feature though but that might just be operator error. lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My baby!

I have yet to try it out, except for turning it on and running a bit, it's like a purring kitten, perfect!
All kinds of attachments. I am interested to learn them all, especially the binders and ruffler. Picture the fun one could have with bias tape!!!

18437_445295260006_703795006_10541816_3497978_n.jpg

18437_445295275006_703795006_10541817_5474970_n.jpg

18437_445295305006_703795006_10541819_8309411_n.jpg

18437_445295335006_703795006_10541820_568312_n.jpg

Someday, I will have a red and green sewing room to harmonize with all that packaging!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
I have to second the janome recommendation. Even though I may need to buy a new machine soon, I'll probably replace the old Janome with a new one. They have powerful motors -- I've sewn full boned corsets and pleather on mine, no problem.

Annixter

Practically Family
Thank you kemikat, Geesie, deadpandiva, and jetgirl for your input. Geesie, I understand where you're coming from with your suggestion to look for an older, high-quality machine, but my only worry about that is buying something that will soon need expensive repair. Because I'm not planning on using the machine much, and because it will only be used for basic sewing needs, I tend to think a $75 investment in a a refurbished machine that has a warranty might be the wiser choice.

kamikat, you make a good point about buying from a local dealer for the benefit of a sewing class, but, luckily, my mother lives nearby, and she is one sewing maniac. Unfortunately, for my question, she's been using the same machine since the 1960s, so she is out of the loop as far as newer machines go.

I'm not in a rush, so I look forward to hearing more input. Thanks again.

Geesie

Practically Family
Wow! That is a lot of attachments! I have that buttonholer and boy is it neat. What's the thing below the buttonholder in that picture?

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Fairly stupid question, I'm guessing, but I'm sick of my machine not working (I currently own 3 non-working sewing machines...)

Is there a way to tell if something is meant to be a thread guide on a machine with no manual and no manual on line (for free at least). Everything works, but the top thread snaps off after every stitch. I've brought it to be repaired at the guy keeps giving it back the next day saying "oh I just had to tweak" or something equally unhelpful like "it was just the tension" but whatever he does *undoes* a use or two later.

Geesie

Practically Family
SugarKitten said:
Fairly stupid question, I'm guessing, but I'm sick of my machine not working (I currently own 3 non-working sewing machines...)

Is there a way to tell if something is meant to be a thread guide on a machine with no manual and no manual on line (for free at least). Everything works, but the top thread snaps off after every stitch. I've brought it to be repaired at the guy keeps giving it back the next day saying "oh I just had to tweak" or something equally unhelpful like "it was just the tension" but whatever he does *undoes* a use or two later.

A brand, model #, and picture would be really helpful.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
I'll just crawl under a rock now, kthxbai

I don't have it with me, but I will update ASAP once I get home. Sorry for overlooking the painfully obvious. (I'm guessing that will likely be where the solution is to the problem as well) Thank you for pointing it out, I can see how that might be helpful.

*slinks off*

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Looked high and low for pics of the machine on the internet, but I've only found other people asking about it. I got it third hand, originally it was bought for a hotel seamstress - long story.

It's a Nelco Ultra #5102 FA

more helpfully:
Iphone035.jpg

I took photos from about every angle imaginable if that would be more helpful than this one.

thank you for your patience

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1929 said:
I have yet to try it out, except for turning it on and running a bit, it's like a purring kitten, perfect!
All kinds of attachments. I am interested to learn them all, especially the binders and ruffler. Picture the fun one could have with bias tape!!!

18437_445295260006_703795006_10541816_3497978_n.jpg

18437_445295275006_703795006_10541817_5474970_n.jpg

18437_445295305006_703795006_10541819_8309411_n.jpg

18437_445295335006_703795006_10541820_568312_n.jpg

Someday, I will have a red and green sewing room to harmonize with all that packaging!
I have a vintage White sewing machine (the copyright on the motor is 1928). I haven't used it yet either. I have some nice attachments but nothing like you machine.

Geesie

Practically Family
SugarKitten said:
Looked high and low for pics of the machine on the internet, but I've only found other people asking about it. I got it third hand, originally it was bought for a hotel seamstress - long story.

It's a Nelco Ultra #5102 FA

more helpfully:
Iphone035.jpg

I took photos from about every angle imaginable if that would be more helpful than this one.

thank you for your patience

Yeah, those machines aren't common. This is all I could find for you. It's not the same model but a lot of basic stuff remains the same in sewing machine lines.
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Dia...ne_Threading/Nelco_JA38_threading_diagram.htm

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
SugarKitten said:

This might work: when you thread the machine, there is a time when you put the tread through the tension disks. At that time the needle must be in the full upright position AND THE PRESSER FOOT UP.
Otherwise all kinds of tension evil happens and there is nothing really wrong with the machine.

My .02, and copied .02 at that.

but give it a try and tell us the results.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Thank you both for the advice! I know the machine isn't *broken* because people have gotten it to work, I just don't know what the trick is. I'll try the diagram and I'd never heard that about the tension disks. I'll give that a try too!

Maybe I'll try some voodoo while I'm at it too =) the machine is so fickle!

59Lark

Practically Family
not common under that name but others.

That machine is not common under nelco name but under the omega 1260 name it was sold in Canada, and originally its a sears model, in the 1970s. originally made by the happy sewing machine co. Manuals are available , top threading and locking your first stitch are important things with a machine like that, needles go flat side to back and thread front to back. if no one else can find you a manual with the new info i may be able to get you a photo copy here. I have been in the sewing machine business over three decades. 59Lark.:eek: [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner