Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

Nashoba

One Too Many
that looks like a good machine. I currently have a Janome and it's given me no problems whatsoever in the last 3 years. Like I said earlier the only issue I had was with a foot pedal and that was my own stupidity. I agree. It looks like a bargain

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
UPdate.....

I just picked up a Kenmore off ebay. It was local so no shipping and I paid 49.00 for it. What do you think? I'm going to try it out tonight!!!!!!
sewingmachine.jpg
[/IMG]

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
mellie said:
My latest acquisition is an Italian Necchi Bu Mira, I'm thinking it's from 1953, in a dark wooden table/cabinet that I found at the Salvation Army. I was always a Singer girl before this machine but now... I have one new Singer and this old Necchi does just about everyhitng that the new one does, even back in the 50's! It has a special 'Wonder Wheel" attachment that creates elaborate decorative stitches. I LOVE it, and its insanely quiet.
img2223fi3.jpg
I now have my mother's Bu Mira, and it appears that you have one with the same cabinet - fold out top, row of drawers on the right, chair). I still have the sales receipt and all attachments and books. She bought iit n January 0f 1955 from Stix, Baer & Fuller in St. Louis, MO for $362.10 - that is about $2,800 in today's money.

I just acquired what must have been their most basic model, an Esperia, which only straight stiches. I bought it mainly for parts, but after replacing the 120V wiring and lubricating it, find that it works very well. It was in a moldy portable case, so I threw away the top. The bottom is also junk, with duct tape on the corners, so I may make or find a cabinet for it.

fishmeok

Vendor
I get a little obsessive about things, so when I decided to try and repair/ rebuild a couple of flight jackets I picked up 7 or 8 old machines in a month to see if they could handle leather. Craigslist and estate sales are the best places to find them- I bought three old White rotatries at one estate sale for $30. One from 1917, one from 1953, and one from the '60's.
Also picked up another 1928 White at the goodwill and a couple Singers here and there.
Some pics- anybody else have White Rotaries?
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p208/fishmeok/linux dump/Sewing Machines/

DSCN2649_1.jpg

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
Kenmore

I picked this doll up at an estate sale for $5.
pinkmachine.jpg
[/IMG]
I tested it out, everything works well even got the cams to do the fancy stitching. I need to take it in the get serviced and a new belt.

FStephenMasek

One of the Regulars
fishmeok said:
That suitcase (makeup case or overnight size) behind the sewing machine on the left looks just like the yellow with brown edges set my parents had, and which I now have.

Here is how I rewired my Necchis (this applies to the BU Mira, Esperia, and possibly others).

Any use of the following is at your own risk. You are responsible for your own safety. Seek the services of properly knowledgeable persons if you are not completely comfortable with and understand how to work on 120V electrical items.

1) Buy two small appliance cords (coffee pot, fry pan, Etc.) made with 18-2 HPN wire. At least one should have a polarized plug (one prong is wider than the other). Cut the receptacle ends off of both.

2) Looking at the back of the the Necchi, remove the two screws holding thecover on the plastic power connector. Place the power cord with the in the right side of the channel where it will be peirced by the two brass contacts, making sure that it stops at the plastic protrusion and does not contact the brass termminal on the far left. Place the side of the cord which connects to the narrower prong on the plug in the up (this means that the switch inside the machine will be in the "hot" wire). Use your fingers to push the cord into the sharp contacts, then replace the cover, being careful to teighten the screw alternately, and not too much, as they screw into plastic.

3) Loosen the two screws holding the motor assembly to the machine, and remove the belt from the motor pulley.

4) Remove the four screws which attach the motor mounting plate to the wiring and transformer compartment.

5) Cut off about 18 inches of the loose end of the second small appliance cord.

6) Unscrew the nuts on the two terminals to which the speed control cord which goes below the machine is attached, and remove the lugs from the brass studs. Be sure to note which terminals (perhaps by reinstalling the nuts loosely).

7) Either de-solder the old speed control cord from the lugs so that they can be reused, or place new lugs on one end of the new cord section. Solder is better than crimping. Placed the lugs under the terminals and tighten teh nuts (snug, but not too much).

8) Snake the cord section down through the hole next to the light wires. If the old grommet is bad, either replace it, or use silicone sealant.

9) Take apart the old receptacle on the end of the old cord from the transformer box, noting the ways the contacts are oriented inside. Attach the new cord from the transformer box to it. Use spade, or circular lugs, as the screws are too narrow to make good contact if you try to just wrap the wires under them.

10) If you second cord is non-polarized, you may want to just use the plug end of it to connect to the speed control. If it is polarized, you will need to either reuse the old non-polarized plug, or buy and attach a new non-polarized plug.

11) Take the speed control apart (either the foot switch version, or the one built into the cabinet and operated by your right leg). Unzip six inches of the two wires on the loose end of your second cord. Make a knot in the two wires so that the cord can not be pulled out of the speed control box. Connect the two wires to the terminals inside of the speed control, using spade or circular lugs of the appropriate size (preferably soldered).

12) Plug the cord from the speed control box into the receptacle on the wire dangling under the machine.

13) These old machines have two wire cords, with no ground conductor connected to the motor frame and metal housing components of the speed control, so an electrical fault could make those metal parts "hot." To improve safety, either plug the machine into an outlet protected by a GFCI (such as those outdoors and in the kitchens, laundry rooms, and bathrooms of newer houses), replace the wall receptacle into which you plug the machine with a GFCI unit, or buy a short extension cord with a GFCI built into it from a hardware store or home center.

fishmeok

Vendor
hotrod_elf said:
[
I tested it out, everything works well even got the cams to do the fancy stitching. I need to take it in the get serviced and a new belt.

Nice find- especially with the cams- those are hard to find. I believe White made the Kenmore machines in the '60's among others. I have a very similar White that came with the two older machines I bought at the estate sale. Cleaning and tuning sewing machines is not difficult- with a little patience you can do it yourself and save some money. lots of info on the internets...
Cheers
Mark

fishmeok

Vendor
FStephenMasek said:
That suitcase (makeup case or overnight size) behind the sewing machine on the left looks just like the yellow with brown edges set my parents had, and which I now have.

That's the original case for that green crinkle-finish White in the foreground (an early '50's model 77MG made out of magnesium alloy). I think it's a common generic case, I've seen Singers and others in the same one.
Cheers
Mark

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
fishmeok said:
Nice find- especially with the cams- those are hard to find. I believe White made the Kenmore machines in the '60's among others. I have a very similar White that came with the two older machines I bought at the estate sale. Cleaning and tuning sewing machines is not difficult- with a little patience you can do it yourself and save some money. lots of info on the internets...
Cheers
Mark
What date would you put on the pink Kenmore? I was thinking 50's.

Myn

New in Town
hotrod_elf said:
pinkmachine.jpg
[/IMG]

That same machine is for sale at my town's thrift store for $35. Good deal!

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
Q on painting treadle cabinets....

I just picked up a singer treadle from 1930. It's one of the common model 66 with a not-very-fancy decal (no red-eye or sphynx, alas!). I'll have to figure out how to take it apart and clean it since the gears are stiff. The cabinet is ok- not in the best condition finish-wise, but still sturdy. From net research, I think simple 5 drawer cabinets like what I've got are the most common and thus least valuable, so...

Would it merit punishment at the hands of the antique Singer spirits if I were to repaint the cabinet of this treadle machine... non-traditional-like? When I say that, I mean (hypothetically) staining it blue, then painting shells along the drawers, or painting it all silver (gold?) with black filigree stencils, or jewel tones, things like that. The treadle stand itself would stay black. I'd still be keeping the machine in the cabinet, and using it to sew, so at least it's not as bad as separating the treadles from the cabinets for non-sewing tables, right?? I just feel like refinishing it the same ol' brown color is boring, despite being historically accurate. I'm pretty handy with a brush, so I'm not too afraid of painting it into a corner dud. I think I'll paint it, unless someone can convince me I should keep it traditional... Whaddya think?

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
JupitersDarling: Well, I must admit I cringe at the thought of painting over a perfectly nice vintage machine! Even though I like the idea that you have. I'm not sure what sort of damage it would cause by the time someone wanted (one day) to remove the paint and restore it. There are only so many vintage cabinets out there!

I sew on a 1960s-era machine, myself - Montgomery Ward brand. It's still running strong. :) It has a bunch of cams that fit into the top to make a variety of stitches - zigzag, featherstitch, blindstitch, scallops, etc.

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
I sew on vintage machines and I am not going back to new ones!

I learnt to sew with my mother's industrial Singer from the 60's. That was a scary monster! It only had one speed: supersonic.

After that I had to make do with a crappy tabletop plastic machine from a local brand. I thought I was quite bad at it, until I got my first vintage machine. Then I realized the machine was bad, not me lol

I have three vintage sewing machines, a Singer treadle 15-88 in a little cabinet, it only makes straight stitch and reverse. The model is a lot older but this machine was bought in the early 50's (51 or 52 I don't remember now), I know because when I bought it, I found the ticket with the booklet. It came with all the accessories and I LOVE it. Sews like a dream, perfect stitches, even through many layers of thick fabric.

15-88_6.jpg

My second machine is another Singer (all attachments can be used in both! :D), it is a more modern model, but actually older, I think from the 40's, but I couldn't find the exact date with the serial number. It's a 306K in a suitcase thing, one of the first models that made a zig-zag stitch (the first for Singer if I remember well). You have to lift the entire thing from the base to change the bobbin, hehe. It works with cams and I do have a few. This one is electric with a knee control. I have to say I hate the knee control, it hurts my knee, and I cannot control it lol but when I action the control with my hand instead it works wonderfully, the problem is indeed that I only have one hand left to direct my work, so I sew more slowly than I could. I mostly only use it for zig-zag though.
I should look into it because I am sure I can find a foot control for this machine.

301.JPG

I cleaned and oiled and adjusted both machines myself (they were in quite good condition though) and both work perfect.

I just received another machine two days ago, an 4 thread overlocker Bernina Bernette 234, no pictures yet. I bought it from Canada and it got almost two months to arrive by boat! still it was a steal I think (at least considering the price of new overlockers, and ack how ugly they are!!). I don't know how old it is but it looks like 60 or 70's from the design and colours. I have to get a transformer before I can use it, though, since we have 240V here.

Inky

One Too Many
I sew on a 1938 singer featherweight that I have owned for 29 years, and it has sewn many, many things, including my first wedding dress. I have all the attachments, and a nice mid-50's buttonhole maker that does lovely buttonholes.

I do have a late 80's Kenmore but it never sees the light of day and though I have looked at some modern Janome's, I couldn't possibly give up my hardworking featherweight, even for cool push-button electronic do-hickeys.

2757466626_3993c9dc32.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I first started sewing with a new White machine. The machine was not reliable and hard to work with. But to be fair, I didn't always use it properly. I was a novice at sewing and at using sewing machines.
Then I found a sewing machine at a garage sale. I bought it from the original owner, I think I paid 40$. It's from the 70's and was very well looked after. It came with all original parts and I thoroughly read the manual which really helped. The machine worked very well. I sew from this machine the most.
DSC01147.jpg

Then I found a Singer Spartan at value village for 14.99CAD. Originally I wasn't going to buy it but when I was counting change that night and realized I had enough dimes to buy the machine, I couldn't resist. It didn't work at first, but I fixed it! I haven't sewn with it yet.
sewing007.jpg

Now I also have a 1900's New Raymond treadle machine. They were going to through it out and it was in terrible shape. I put it back together and cleaned it up. I used a hammer to gently tap everything free and now it sews again.
DSC02119.jpg

DSC02121.jpg

ValenciaCalling

New in Town
Sewing Machines

Well, you ladies have inspired me to start making my own dresses. Thank you!! You all have made such beautiful pieces! What kind of sewing machines do you use? I need to know what to ask for for Christmas!

SayCici

Practically Family
I've been inspired too! I'm almost done with my sewing classes at Jo Ann's and am ready to start some projects. :]

For my birthday, my mom bought me the Singer Simplicity (model no. 2263, for under $100) and so far I really like it! I think it's a good machine for beginners, I haven't had any problems with it. She got mine from Wal*mart but they sell them at places like Jo Ann's, which offer free maintenance.

(from Walmart.com):
# 23 stitch patterns including a 4-step buttonhole
# Stitch width and length adjustment
# Needle threader
# Feed cover for quick and easy darning or free motion stitching
# Free arm with accessory storage
# 3 snap-on feet included

Geesie

Practically Family
Does anyone have any advice on machines to avoid?

I've been looking at Craigslist, thrift stores, pawn shops etc. and there is a huge range of things available. Some have been mentioned here, others I just have no idea about.

(I hate having to be practical... I saw a Singer with the "Sphinx" pattern but I really would like something that's at least capable of zig-zag stitch and I don't get to buy two machines! I wish I didn't have to choose between practical and beautiful.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24