Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All things Sewing Machines!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Sugarkitten,

I am not really familiar with your machine, but it looks to me like you are threading it wrong in the photo you posted. To me it looks as though you have skipped the tension disks, and that the thread is going straight over to the take up lever. If so, that could be your problem right there.

The knob on the left hand front of the machine is the tension disk. Usually the thread goes though there, down on the right, and up on the left side and through the wire do-hickey, before going through the take up lever.

There are variations on this though, I have a machine that is threaded completely differently. Also, the orientation of the needle could be a problem, is this machine a front/back or right/left needle machine?

Also, make sure the thread is in the bobbin case correctly. Usually a drop in bobbin should make a p and a bobbin case a q, anything else won't work.

If you are threading it right, too much tension could also maybe cause the thread to break. You might also want to check that the thread isn't getting stuck in the notch on the thread spool.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Tourbillion, I did undo the tension disk, because I got to thinking that it might have been part of the problem (holding up the thread so the needle jerks it, instead of drawing it along).

I've been unthreading a different thing every time hoping I'd hit on a magic combination. I think I really need to hear I shouldn't just run out and buy a new working machine!

(If I can't fix this one when it breaks, I obviously wouldn't be able to do it on a new one either!)

59Lark, I've poked around for an Omega manual, and I would have been in luck if it was a watch not a sewing machine! What kind of odds do you put on finding a manual?

Miss Jay

New in Town
Hi Sugar Kitten - from your collection of photos you took, do you have one that shows the front of the machine clearly? It's a bit difficult to see the threading in the one you posted.

:) J

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Why don't you take it back to the repair place that keeps fixing it and ask them to show you what they do? Especially if he is fixing it by changing the thread path.

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
You're all amazing AND brilliant! It's fixed! I was up at 1am testing it by sewing the last seams on the sun dress that I'd cut out before it broke.

I literally could not believe it when I saw the stitches like they should be.

Miss Jay - I do have a pic of the front. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the problem is solved for good!

Jetgirl - a vacuum repair place was the guy that fixed it, and every time I would drop it off, he would tell me he couldn't deal with it at that moment, etc. When I would come to pick it up, he'd just shrug off what he did.

I ended up doing everything suggested, leaving the foot and needle up, messing with the tension, and threading it like the diagram (same as I usually did for the most part) and saying a few Hail Marys. Long story short, Let the Sewing Begin! Thank you all!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
SugarKitten is in STITCHES!
Yeah...good going.

I'm starting up my sewing machine research again. I have to get one. No way I can hand stitch all the patterns that have been landing on my door step. ;)

I'm thinking Janome...there are reasonably priced variations on two models "Magnolia" and "Harmony". I seem to recall that one of them might be a discontinued model, so some concern about parts there. I dunno. I will have to check the Janome site.

Are there any features a newbie should MAKE SURE they have on their first machine?

Which is better, top bobin or bottom bobin?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
:) Hi, Nothing important but I really like my vintage machines. The newest machine I have is a Singer 201-2 made in 1951. The one I use the most is a Singer treadle model 127 from 1916. You can do most general sewing on these machines especially if you have the attachments. They'll last forever and you can usually buy them a lot cheaper than new ones. For you gals who are using them good for you.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I recently bought a Janome 3822 and its a great starter machine. Its very sturdy, easy to thread, sews straighter than any machine I've used before and the instructions actually make sense. I'm happy.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
I recently bought a Janome 3822 and its a great starter machine. Its very sturdy, easy to thread, sews straighter than any machine I've used before and the instructions actually make sense. I'm happy.

Thanks for the feedback, Smuts! I'm working up to making a purchase and I'm glad to hear that you like the Janome. I will have to look up the 3822.

Thanks a bunch!

PrettyPaula

New in Town
hi all

im thinking about buying a sewing machine as i really would love to be able to do my own sewing and make my own things as nothing i find is ever a perfect fit (wide hips, small waist large bust!) im toying with whether to go vintage or modern as im a total novice.

ive found this one which is on sale and looks good to me?

any opinions most welcome!

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/..._item_loc_id=1&product=143370090#reviews-link

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
23SkidooWithYou said:
I'm starting up my sewing machine research again. I have to get one. No way I can hand stitch all the patterns that have been landing on my door step. ;)

I'm thinking Janome...there are reasonably priced variations on two models "Magnolia" and "Harmony". I seem to recall that one of them might be a discontinued model, so some concern about parts there. I dunno. I will have to check the Janome site.

Are there any features a newbie should MAKE SURE they have on their first machine?

Which is better, top bobin or bottom bobin?

I second the top loading, or horizontal, bobbin. My mother has an old White with a front loading (vertical) bobbin, and what a pain in the tush it is!

For an entry level machine that you'll be able to use practically forever, I can't recommend enough the Kenmores. I have a 16231, and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm an intermediate sewer, and when I was hunting for a new machine I was astonished to find that Consumer Reports consistently rated Kenmores very well. Given the very affordable price point, I decided to pick one up. I've been sewing consistently on it for several years now, everything from sheers to millinery, and not even a hiccup. One of these days, I should have it cleaned and tuned, but it hasn't slowed down yet, so I've been lazy :)

As a side note, I CAN'T LIVE without the automatic button hole settings, and if it didn't come with it, there are feet available to purchase for every imaginable stich and task that I could ever want. I love buying new attachments!

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Gracie Lee said:
I second the top loading, or horizontal, bobbin. My mother has an old White with a front loading (vertical) bobbin, and what a pain in the tush it is!

For an entry level machine that you'll be able to use practically forever, I can't recommend enough the Kenmores. I have a 16231, and I can't say enough good things about it. I'm an intermediate sewer, and when I was hunting for a new machine I was astonished to find that Consumer Reports consistently rated Kenmores very well. Given the very affordable price point, I decided to pick one up. I've been sewing consistently on it for several years now, everything from sheers to millinery, and not even a hiccup. One of these days, I should have it cleaned and tuned, but it hasn't slowed down yet, so I've been lazy :)

As a side note, I CAN'T LIVE without the automatic button hole settings, and if it didn't come with it, there are feet available to purchase for every imaginable stich and task that I could ever want. I love buying new attachments!

Gracie Lee,

Thank you too, for the feedback! There are so many features to consider and it's really hard when you don't sew and have no idea what you are looking for. I'm glad you mentioned the button holes. One model I looked at actually has a 1 step button hole maker, while it's sister model which is slightly less expensive has a 4 step button hole feature. Guess it's best to pay a few more $ and get the one step feature.

I'm also looking at dress forms. Since I will be sewing for myself, I'm going to need some way to "fit" the garment by my lonesome.

I have access to my Gram's old cabinet Singer but that big black behemoth has scared the bejeepers out of me since I was a kid! lol Too bad because it would be "free" to use. :(

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
One touch is the way to go, for sure! For dressforms, I love my Uniquely You. It's about the same price as the dial adjustable ones, but it's actually you. It will take a little longer the actually use, because it's a foam rubber form with a canvas cover. You fit the cover on yourself, like a sheath dress, then zip it onto the form. If you're not a proficient seamstress yet, I would strongly recommend paying a local seamstress to do this step for you. But my measurements don't fit into the standard sizes, and my Uniquely You (I've named her Violet) actually looks like me :)

What model Singer is your Gram's? I sew Victorian clothes, too, and several of the ladies I know of in that genre use vintage Singers, some over 100 years old. I have a 1960s era Singer myself, minus the manual, and it threads the same way the one I had in my teens did. I later found that I could download a copy of the original manual, since it's no longer available from the company, so I wouldn't be surprised if you could do the same for your Gram's.

59Lark

Practically Family
sewing machines

I dont recommend that brothers its made in china and a lot of plastic, i see a lot of brothers machines in that price range bought at walmart and they are not so good. They come out of time and wont sew denim. Thats opinion , sewing machine mechanic for thirty years. The janome is a good brand, elna and necchi mostly . all made now by janome, mostly. Even a discontinued model can be a good deal because key parts such as bobbin case and hook, needle plate are used in more than one model and therefore available for years. We can stil get parts for singer machine made in sixties , needle plates, bobbins cases, tension parts the parts that break, not lids or handles but most parts are available for ten years after machine is made most. A one step autobuttonholer is much more easy to use as it measures the button placed in the foot and makes a buttonhole for that size button everytime . in england janome was called new home at one time. The lady with the nelco , i just had a omega 1260 come in this morning for service and it has the manual with it, if my photo copier is working i will see if my daughter will copy it while the repair is in the shop. 59LARK:eek:fftopic:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
My machine has an auto buttonholer. I make test button holes everytime but always seem to screw it up on the actual garmet. I think I will have a talk with one of the ladies I purchased it from to see if I am doing something wrong. Does anyone know where I can find a really good dumded down tutorial on bound button holes? I have several sewing books but I always get lost after the first few steps.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
I have an old copy of The Vogue/Butterick Step-By-Step Guide to Sewing Techniques, and I'm pretty sure that technique is covered. It's a fantastic book, with tons of pictures and excellent descriptions. It's out of print now, but there are a bunch available on Amazon.com (and other places) for very reasonable prices.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
My machine has an auto buttonholer. I make test button holes everytime but always seem to screw it up on the actual garmet.

Me too! That's why I actually think a 2 or 3 step buttonhole machine are better than the 1 step machines - you have more control over what you are doing. I can't count the number of times my old machine stuffed up the button hole. BTW my old machine was a Janome. I guess I am the lone dissenter because I never really liked it. I owned it for 10 years & had it serviced every year, but it just wasn't very good quality. It always seemed to run roughly.

Anyway my mother in law gave me her 20 year old Bernina 900 & I can't speak highly enough about it. It runs smoothly, makes wonderful buttonholes & is all round a much better machine than the Janome ever was.

If I ever had to buy another machine I will definitely buy a good quality second hand machine rather than a new machine with lots of electronic parts that can go wrong.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
PrettyPaula said:
hi all

im thinking about buying a sewing machine as i really would love to be able to do my own sewing and make my own things as nothing i find is ever a perfect fit (wide hips, small waist large bust!) im toying with whether to go vintage or modern as im a total novice.

ive found this one which is on sale and looks good to me?

any opinions most welcome!

http://www.littlewoods.com/rf/p.do/..._item_loc_id=1&product=143370090#reviews-link

Is this a compact machine, I can't tell? The compact machines are a little harder to work with because you don't have as much room for things like pant legs. Some of them have underpowered motors too. If you want to make jeans this probably isn't too good. However, if you want to do crafts or make an occasional skirt or dress it is probably okay.

If this is a full size machine, then it is fine for most basic garment sewing. It seems to have the most useful stitches. It would be nice to try it out a bit and see how well it sews. However, this is more important with used machines, since sometimes they have some damage that isn't easy to repair.

boocat

New in Town
Janome

I don't have much money, so I was thinking a good machine to get would be the Janome ThreadBanger TB-12. It has a metal body and is a very basic machine. I learned to sew on my mother's old Riccar, which looked very similar to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner