Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

WEEGEE

Practically Family
MEETINGS WITH A BALL CAP CROWD

WHEN IN A CONFERANCE ROOM.

WHAT TO DO...NEWSPAPER...MEETING...THREE GUYS WITH BALL CAPS...

JUST GOT IN FROM AN ASSIGNMENT...PHOTOGRAPHER/EDITOR...IN SUIT...

MORE OFTEN THEN ...knot...NOT ...A TIE. I sit my hat in the middle of the table.

No ballcaps are ever taken off.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
THANKS ....Biltmore Bob

As i read in the rich past of posts...i have always found a great love and

humor in your keen advise for the hat and hatted.

thanks again...for the past and future.

strange but true.

till your current response...did i feel i belonged to a club that would (not)

have me as a member. (as per grouco)...

vespasian

One of the Regulars
I like the idea of tipping the hat to a lady or removing it to be polite and feel a bit uncomfortable in a hat when inside, though I keep it on in malls, stores etc etc. The tipping is a bit of a bind though, here you're lucky if anyone looks you in the eye when you open a door for them, especially ladies and I use that term very loosely as I meet lots of women but rarely a lady, infact the look of some of 'em begs the question, lady or bloke? I prefer to just nod, but that might be my confidence, also tipping the hat whilst I'm with my own lady would set of a chain of comments that would no doubt lead to my sleeping on the sofa, in the bath or if the lady tipped to was pretty enough, in the dolls house. Is it acceptable do you think, nowadays, just to nod in recognition?

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I hear you, mate...

My wife better not ever catch me tipping my hat to a strange woman. I mostly do it at church anyway.

Furthermore I don't nod much to men because I don't want to appear Queer. What a society we have created for ourselves, eh?

Raindog

One of the Regulars
" What a society we have created for ourselves, eh?"

Too true Bob, too true....I think it's pathetic how people react now. If you even tipped your hat to most of the people round here you'd get looked at as though you were 1. Attacking them in some way 2. A madman or 3. Wanting to take them home for a bit of fun.....
I don't bother tipping the hat, and only take it off for eating. That avoids the weird looks and scene making episodes.

Jeff.

vespasian

One of the Regulars
The strangeness of society. I nodded to some old chap (Id guess about 60-65 yrs so no offence to anyone old :) ) whilst in Debenhams the other day. The reason was he was wearing a trilby. He looked at me a bit odd, though I was pushing a pram, dragging a 4 year old and involved in a debate with my wife at the time so that kind of set me firmly in the straight arena. Anyway he didnt acknowledge my acknowledgement of his hat wearing. (dreadful sentence construction but you get my meaning.) Old folks, bah!

It used to be easy: When you go through the door, if there's a hat rack you take your hat off, if not, leave your hat on (see James Bond movies).

For example, in my house, if you come throught the door with a hat on, the huge 30s metal hat rack looming to your right side indicates that the hat should be deposited.

So few places have hat rack these days that i'd just leave my hat on, rather than struggle to find somewhere safe to put it down. Ever tried to go to a gig with a hat? Nowhere has a hat check anymore! They have coat check, but not for hats :rage:

bk

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Just an observation...

Biltmore Bob said:
Furthermore I don't nod much to men because I don't want to appear Queer.

Of all the guys in all of the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... I can't imagine any one of them picking up demkinda *vibes* from you. But, hey, what do I know... a dame once said about me: "You have the most finely-honed aesthetic sense of any heterosexual I've ever met." I took it as a compliment. It WAS a compliment, wasn't it...?

fridaynightgirl

New in Town
raindog said:
I think it's pathetic how people react now. If you even tipped your hat to most of the people round here you'd get looked at as though you were 1. Attacking them in some way 2. A madman or 3. Wanting to take them home for a bit of fun.....
I don't bother tipping the hat, and only take it off for eating. That avoids the weird looks and scene making episodes.
That's just sad. Living in Central Texas, men will still occasionally tip their cowboy hat at a woman, but even that is slowly disappearing. It is rare enough now that I am tempted to feel fluttery and giddy because it's a rare treat to encounter a man with really good manners. *grin*

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
One would think...

Zemke Fan said:
Of all the guys in all of the gin joints in all the towns in all the world... I can't imagine any one of them picking up demkinda *vibes* from you. But, hey, what do I know... a dame once said about me: "You have the most finely-honed aesthetic sense of any heterosexual I've ever met." I took it as a compliment. It WAS a compliment, wasn't it...?

Hey just being polite these days can get you into all kinds of trouble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy