Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
I still uncover...

As for those of us that have served our country, how many still uncover (regardless of what cover you're wearing) when you walk into a building??? After almost ten years of service, even when I'm just wearing just a ballcap into a store, it's just seems natural (ingrained more likely) to uncover.

Hey Chad, I totally agree about not trusting the wait staff to protect your lid. Who knows what "special of the day" is going to end-up on your hat. Also if someone tries to rook your lid, do you really think the diner would cover your loss??? Probably not without a hassel.

Take care

BLB

android

One of the Regulars
Uncover whenever you're indoors is a good rule for servicemen and children.

But it's simplistic and traditional hat wearing was alway more sophisticated.

Now everyone remembers their mom's telling them to take off their hats.

First, women probably didn't understand all the intricacies of men's hat rules.

Secondly, when you were a kid, you didn't go anywhere where you would have worn your hat indoors. You usually went to school, church or someone else's home. So the indoor rule held pretty close to true.

As you grew up, you might find yourself in train stations, hotel lobbies, bars and hotel hallways where you wouldn't remove your hat either because you aren't in somebody else's private space or your hands are occupied.

PutALidOnIt said:
I feel compelled to have mine in hand before the door closes behind me...but when seated, what should I do? I sure as hell don't want the leftovers of someone's seafood pasta or spilled Budweiser ---ahhhuggghhh---, on the crown of my Borso...Guinness would be OK, I guess... :cheers1:

I think Sharpetoys had a very good idea and he is in your neck of the woods. Carry one of those plastic bags with you that you get at the grocery store. When you sit down put the hat in the bag and duff it wherever it is convenient without worrying about what will fall on it. I also use a skyhook when I remember to bring it. It has a clip at one end and a leather part that will fit through a loop at the other to sinch on something convenient. Kind of looks exactly like this:
Skyhook2.jpg

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft said:
Is it an Antique(Skyhook)? How's it work?

No, they are produced now. You clip the metal clip to the reeded area of your sweatband or the edge of the brim. The loop at the back is there so you can slip the length of the leather with the metal clip on it through so it will cinch to a chair spindle or anything that is the right size. Cinch it, then clip your hat to it. No problem. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Vanessa

One Too Many
Question on a different kind of etiquette . . .

For anyone who knows:

Re: Ladies hats with veils, either chin length or eye/nose length. What's the protocol for the veils? Should they be lifted in company, when eating, etc.?

Vanessa said:
For anyone who knows:

Re: Ladies hats with veils, either chin length or eye/nose length. What's the protocol for the veils? Should they be lifted in company, when eating, etc.?

I can only think of two occasions where it might be necessary. One would be eating and the other would be for a kiss. Everything else is fine as far as I am concerned. My wife keeps hers down when wearing veiled hats. It keeps the mystery alive. ;)
It also depends on how transparent the veil is though. In all that I have seen, the veil is transparent enough to be seen through well enough.

Regards to all,

J

GregNYC

One Too Many
Hat etiquette!

Dixiedust's nice post made me think.....

[I'm thinking fedoras here...]

When do you don and doff your hats? How do you hold your hat when you're standing in line at the bank or DMV? How do you hold it? How do you grasp the hat? My father taught me to grab it with three fingers around the dimples and top of the crown and put it on that way.

Where do you put them in a restaurant? Do you look for a coat rack? Remember the counter seats with hat clips in the seatbacks? Cool!

We learned a lot of etiquette in the Army. They called hats "cover," and they should be off indoors, on outdoors, on in breezeways. Always don and doff them with the left hand, which leaves the right hand available for saluting. There are many ways to store garrison caps in and around the uniform. Ballcaps we would tuck bill-first down the back of the trousers at the belt line. The bus-driver hats were the hardest to handle when they were off, and we went for garrison caps or the cooler berets whenever we could.

What hat etiquette do you follow?

Don't grab your hat by the crown! No, no, no. 'Cuz if you do, in time you'll weaken the felt along the creases to the point that you'll wear a hole in it.
As to your other queries: Well, norms of etiquette change over time. I generally remove my hat indoors, although generally not in corridors or elevators or airports or other places where people are moving about. As a general rule, remove your hat before entering the places you'll be seated.

And ...

Our local hat shop posts signs advising customers against grabbing hats by the crown. In warmer months, they augment the signage with a straw lid or two broken at the top front of the crown. Just to illustrate the point, you know.
Your dad was likely doing what most men of his era did, emulating those dashing gents of the silver screen. Yes, doffing one's hat in the manner the old guy recommended is nearly as cool as those clips on the backs of old coffeeshop stools you alluded to (I recall seeing them on church pews as well), but it's murder on your hat.

jpdesign

Vendor
A basic rule is on outside. when inside you can leave it on in public areas, off in private one, off when you sit to eat.

Now, what is public and private?

any where inside a home is private. In a bank lobby, dmv you are in a public are. A hallway in an office building is also a public area. When you enter an office you are entering someone's privat area. In that same note, as you approach a service window you should take it off.

The first time you meet a lady, take off you hat. The next time you met her tipping your hat is accessable. To show particular respect to a specific lady take off your hat the second time you meet her as well.

In a restraunt, use an extra chair. If you have the guts, put it upside down under your own chair. a side note, to keep from forgeting your hat, drop your keys in it when you set it down.

For handling, hold it by the brim. A brim is much easer to fix it it gets out of whack than a crown. A flange job is a simple thing.

Jimmy

GregNYC

One Too Many
So how *do* you

handle the hat to put it on and take it off?? Yes, I was cringing a bit just now when I was visualizing what the clip would do to a good hat brim!

jpdesign

Vendor
take off and put on primarilly by the brim. if the brim can't handle being pulled on that much, raise it by the brim with one hand and place on hand,while still holding brim, with other hand reach up and put hand on back of hat at the band line and pull down.

Jimmy

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I leave mine on, inside or out, except for church or sitting down to eat at a resturant...unless it's a counter or a fast food joint. I will sometimes tip my cap or hat to a lady if I'm holding a door. That's about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24