Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I'm one of those people who genuinly get angry when I'm wearing my adventurebilt fedora and there's no place to put it while I'm eating at a resturant.

And I'll be dam'ned if I put it on the table or on another seat when I have two young boys who try and grab anything with their diry and messy hands.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One solution

I wouldn't consider wearing a hat while eating. Something that I began doing recently if there is no coat peg or coat check, empty chair, rack, etc, is to just slide it under my chair, brim up. I only do this if the floor looks clean, obviously. If the floor in a restaurant is dirty, I'm not staying to eat anyway. Last week at a seafood theme place, I rested my Panama overhead in the decorative fishing net with the other decorations. Several other diners smiled at my creativity. If there were no possible option for resting my hat while eating, I'd take it back out to the car and make sure it was well-shaded, or go someplace else.
For hat etiquette, rules of engagement, how to charm a lady by being impeccably well-bred, pick up a copy of Emily Post's Etiquette from the Golden Era. When to tip your hat, when to remove it, where to put it, what should be in a gentleman's wardrobe, how to eat olives with the pit, it's all there. If you want to practice Golden Era Rules, consult the Golden Era Rulebook.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Eating whilst wearing a hat in an indoor, sit-down restaurant seems like bad manners to me... Taking it off is kinda the same ettiquette as not wearing your outside shoes inside someone elses home (if they take their's off at the door).
A hat, in my mind is an article of outdoor clothing, like street shoes.

That's what I think-

B
T

android

One of the Regulars
If it seems like there is no good place to put it, I will hand it to the person seating me and say, "Please put this in a very safe place, it belonged to my great, great grandfather." I don't do it often, but I've always gotten it back unharmed.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
android said:
If it seems like there is no good place to put it, I will hand it to the person seating me and say, "Please put this in a very safe place, it belonged to my great, great grandfather." I don't do it often, but I've always gotten it back unharmed.

I love it.

I have to chime in with those who won't wear a hat while
eating indoors. At a counter maybe, but not at a table.

If no extra chair is available, I improvise. As someone mentioned,
one can sometimes find something to use as a hat hanger, either
in the decor or an abandoned nail. If not, I take an extra napkin
or two and open them up under my chair. Then I rest the hat
brim up.

In an earlier thread someone suggested leaving one's hat in the car.
The car, of course, contributed to the demise of the hat. Few are
the cars I can drive while wearing a hat. Usually if I have a hat on,
I'm on public transit or walking. And I usually have a hat on.
I am working on a hat transportation box for my bicycle (anyone
have one?).

Here's hoping there won't be a BART strike next week.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I still leave my hat in the car if I know there's no place to put it in a restaurant due to size of the place or the number of folks in my party. Once done inside, I go back to the car and put my hat back on. What's the big deal here? From what I've read in other posts above, you'd think I was participating in an unholy practice here. I don't agree, and haven't read anything that would change my mind to do otherwise. :rolleyes:

You also forget that the placing of a hat in a location not readily at hand in restaurants also lead to a lot of theft of said hat too! (grins) ;)

Regards! Michaelson

I try to keep my hat with me where ever I go. Putting it in the car if there is not a good place to duff it is fine with me as well.
I took Sharpetoys advice though and prepare for the worst. I stick one of those plastic shopping bags in my pocket---or in my wife's purse if she is with me. :p That way no matter where I put it it is covered by the plastic and nothing will get it dirty where I put it. I have to take a picture of a little gadget Art sells that really makes storing the hat while you are out much easier. I think they call it a Skyhook if I remember right. That will wrap around anything you can get it around and clips to your hat or the plastic bag so it hangs out of the way.

Regards to all,

J

Winkydink

Familiar Face
manners

I had a Professor of Romantic Poetry in undergraduate school who told me that manners were little courtesies. And while I may be radical in some things, I am a bit old fashioned about etiquette. With that in mind, and of course meaning no disrepect to other posters, here are some rules for hat etiquette from Levine Hats.

One other thing about manners, I heard it said that prison cafeterias are the politest places in the world because the risks are so high if you offend.

Winky D.

_______

Ten Rules to follow when wearing a hat or cap:

1. A gentleman should always remove his hat off of his head the moment he enters a building, including a restaurant, home, classroom, theater, church. (This includes Baseball Caps!)

Hats are removed when inside, except for places that are akin to public streets, like lobbies, corridors, and crowded elevators (nonresidential).

In a public building (where there are no apartments) the elevator is considered a public area. A gentleman takes off his hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in an apartment house or hotel--any building, which can be classified as a dwelling. He puts it on again in the corridor. A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator in a hotel or apartment house has the character of a room in a house and there a gentleman does not keep his hat on in the presence of ladies.

2. Men must take their hats off indoors, but women do not - unless it's a rain hat.

3. The tag that covers the sweatband seam always goes at the back of the head.

4. For women, dress hats do not need to be removed when indoors. This rule of etiquette has developed out of the role of womens hats as an outfit-specific accessory as opposed to a general one. Where men may have many hats available to match a variety of outfits, women may match only one hat with a single outfit. By a similar rule, womens hats worn strictly for warmth should be removed when indoors.

5. For men, hats are tipped, (or doffed) slightly lifting the hat off your forehead, when meeting a lady (remove your hat if you stop to talk), or to "say" to anyone, male or female – thank you, excuse me, hello, goodbye, you’re welcome or how do you do. Tipping of the hat is a conventional gesture of politeness. This hat tipping custom has the same origin as military saluting, which came from the raising of medieval Knights face visors to show friendliness.

6. Men are expected to remove their hats during the playing of the National Anthem. A woman may leave her hat on i during the playing of The National Anthem when indoors, unless it is considered unisex like a baseball cap. When wearing such a unisex cap, a woman should follow the same guidelines as for men.

7. Mens hats are to be removed for the passing of the Flag and funeral processions, outdoor weddings, dedications, and photographs.

8. Removed hats are held in hand in such a way that only the outside and never the lining is visible.

9. In places of worship head coverings are required for both men and women in Muslim mosques, and Sikh temples.

Men are required to cover their heads in Jewish synagogues, but only married women wear hats or scarves representing a display of increased modesty towards those other than the woman's husband. The small, round head covering or skullcap worn by men is called a “kippah� which means, “dome� or “cupola�. The Yiddish word for the cap is “yarmulke�. The wearing of the yarmulke is a reminder of humility before God, a mark of respect in a Jewish congregation, and a sign of recognition of something greater above oneself, which is why many male Jews wear a head covering whenever they are awake, with the exceptions of bathing and swimming.

It is acceptable for women to wear hats in Christian churches, but disrespectful for men to wear them.

10. Hat wearers must be careful when placing ornaments such as pins on the hat band. Anything put on the band of a mens hats should be positioned on the left side of the hat. The opposite is true of women's hats, hat pins and other ornaments should be placed on the right.

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
Hello,

I thought I would give this a shot, even though none of you will probably see it in time.

I have a friends graduation in about 3 hours, and it dawned on me that I'm not sure what to do with my hat while I'm there!

There will be a dinner, and dancing, and childern, and such....should I take it off when I enter and just carry it? What about dancing? Should I place it on the table (like they do in Casablanca) when I am eating?

It seems like it's a crazy mix of situations...what would one do?

Michaelson said:
Definitely post a photo if you can. That sounds interesting to me. Regards! Michaelson

I just managed to get a photo of the Skyhook by VS. It is fairly simple but it works pretty good. The black part is leather. The clip at the end is clipped to the edge of the sweatband where it meets the felt.
Skyhook2.jpg

If you want to hang it on something the clip can go through the metal loop and loop around something to hang your hat from. The best part is that it fits in your pocket and doesn't take up too much space. Pretty good for something that simple really.

regards to all,

J

riccardo

Practically Family
Good advice.

Very good and thanks...which hand have to tip off the hat, the left hand or the right one?
I think it is more convenient to tip off the hat with the left hand to give the right to who you meet...is it correct?

Thanks.

Best regards.

Riccardo.

Feraud

Bartender
If I drive to a restaurant that I know has little room, I leave my hat in the car. Otherwise I wear it in and leave it on an extra chair.

That hat holding gadget looks really cool.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
No matter

It doesn't matter which hand is used, as long as the gesture is smooth and natural.
Gentlemen used to have to deal with hat, gloves, stick, and perhaps a briefcase, when meeting another on the street. Imagine! Glove off for hand shaking, hat off to chat, and juggling all that stuff.

scotrace said:
It doesn't matter which hand is used, as long as the gesture is smooth and natural.
Gentlemen used to have to deal with hat, gloves, stick, and perhaps a briefcase, when meeting another on the street. Imagine! Glove off for hand shaking, hat off to chat, and juggling all that stuff.

You might have gotten away with not removing a glove because it was considered an insult to shake some's hand without a glove on at one point in time. ;) I think that was during the 19th century though they also used walking sticks and hats then so that might be the right time period for your scenario.

Regards to all,

J

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I've read through some of the posts regarding hat etiquette, but I thought I would post these rules for your consideration, as much because of the rules as the verbiage! Quite fun, and enlightening.

From "Etiquette," Emily Post, Funk & Wagnall's Company, 1922 and 1927, and purloined from the CavHooah.com site.

WHEN A GENTLEMAN TAKES OFF HIS HAT

A gentleman takes off his Hat and holds it in his hand when a lady enters the elevator in which he is a passenger, but he puts it back on again in the corridor. A public corridor is like the street, but an elevator is suggestive of a room, and a gentleman does not keep his Hat on in the presence of ladies in a house.

This is the rule in elevators in hotels, clubs and apartments. In office buildings and stores the elevator is considered as public a place as the corridor. What is more, the elevators in such business structures are usually so crowded that the only room for a man's Hat is on his head.

When a gentleman stops to speak to a lady of his acquaintance in the street, he takes his Hat off with his left hand, leaving his right free to shake hands, or he takes it off with his right and transfers it to his left. If he has a stick, he puts his stick in his left hand, and gives her his right. If they walk ahead together, he puts his Hat on; but while he is standing in the street talking to her, he should remain Hatless. There is no rudeness greater than for him to stand talking to a lady with his Hat on, and a cigar or cigarette in his mouth.

WHEN A GENTLEMAN LIFTS HIS HAT

Lifting the Hat is a conventional gesture of politeness shown to strangers only, not to be confused with bowing, which is a gesture used to acquaintances and friends. In lifting his Hat, a gentleman merely lifts it slightly off his forehead and replaces it; he does not smile or bow, nor does he even look at the object of his courtesy. No gentleman ever subjects a lady to his scrutiny or his apparent observation.

If a lady drops her glove, a gentleman should pick it up, hurry ahead of her ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù on no account nudge her ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù offer the glove to her and say: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìI think you dropped this!.?¢‚Ǩ? The lady replies: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThank you.?¢‚Ǩ? The gentleman should then lift his Hat and turn away.

If he passes a lady in a narrow space, so that he blocks her way or in any manner obtrudes upon her, he lifts his Hat as he passes.

If he is on a street car which is very crowded, when he wishes to leave it and a lady is directly in his way, he asks: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìMay I get through, please??¢‚Ǩ? As she makes room for him to pass, he lifts his Hat and says: ?¢‚Ǩ?ìThank you!?¢‚Ǩ?

If he is in the company of a lady anywhere in public, he lifts his Hat to a man who offers her a seat, or who picks up something she has dropped or shows her any other civility.

He lifts his Hat if he asks a woman or an old gentleman a question, and always, if, when walking on the street with either a lady or another man, his companion bows to another person.

In other words, a gentleman lifts his Hat whenever he says ?¢‚Ǩ?ìExcuse me, Thank you,?¢‚Ǩ? or speaks to or is spoken to by a lady, or by an older gentleman. And no gentleman ever keeps a pipe, cigar or cigarette in his mouth when he lifts his Hat, takes it off, or bows.

THE INFORMAL BOW

In bowing on the street, a gentleman should never takes his Hat off with a flourish, nor should he sweep it down to his knee; nor is it graceful to bow by pulling the Hat over the face as though examining the lining. The correct bow, when wearing a high Hat, or derby, is to lift it by holding the brim directly in front, take it off merely high enough to escape the head easily, bring it a few inches forward, the back somewhat up, the front down, and put in on again. To a very old lady or gentleman, to show adequate respect, a sweeping bow is sometimes made by a somewhat exaggerated circular motion downward to perhaps the level of the waist, so that the Hat's position is upside down. If a man is wearing a soft Hat he takes it by the crown instead of the brim, lifts it slightly off his head and puts in on again.

AT THE OPERA, THE THEATER AND OTHER PUBLIC GATHERINGS

In walking about in the foyer of the opera house, a gentleman leaves his coat in the box ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù or in his orchestra chair ?¢‚Ǩ‚Äù but he always wears his high Hat. The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìcollapsible?¢‚Ǩ? Hat is for use in the seats rather than in the boxes, but it can be worn perfectly well by a guest in the latter if he hasn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t a ?¢‚Ǩ?ìsilk?¢‚Ǩ? one.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I especially enjoyed reading the proper wearing of the tophat at the opera. I've never read that one before. Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana