Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Dean

New in Town
I think its about the same as the US (I'm ex-Army). I'm not even sure about beards in the British Navy currently? (I suspect not to allow respirators etc).

But the case in point is not the Military, or even the Merchant Navy. There is a long tradition of naval officers (military or civilian) having beards.

I note, as well, that even the military haven't tried to ban tattoo's outright.

Sorry, way off topic here......

DEAN

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Dean said:
Sorry, way off topic here......

DEAN

There was a topic??? :eek:

:D Getting back on topic, sorta... one subject that comes up from time to time is whether or not to wear your hat to a job interview and how that might be perceived. Into the building, that is, not while sitting there being interviewed!

As much as I love my hats, I often left it in the car when going in for an interview. I wasn't that concerned as to how it might make me look to the interviewer (old fashioned? trendy? who knows?) but more concerned as to what to do with it. I found that leaving it in the car made for one less item to carry around when being moved from room to to room. I would wear it in if the weather was inclement, though.

Regards,
Tom

JimWagner

Practically Family
I probably wouldn't wear a hat to an interview. That's not really the time or place to appear eccentric in any way. Regardless of how we who post here feel about our hats I think we all realize that wearing them is not the norm in much of the country. Just look at the threads about comments we've all received. The goal in an interview is to get the job, nothing else. There's plenty of opportunity after that establish individualism.

In fact, it's best to find out what the dress code or norm is for where you are interviewing and dress accordingly. Wearing a suit to interview for a construction job is just as bad as wearing your Carhartts to interview for a programming job at a bank. You really do want to establish that you fit in.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
Dean said:
I'm not even sure about beards in the British Navy currently?

My friend who is an officer in the Royal Navy tells me that beards are allowed, with the permission of your commanding officer, but if you have any facial hair at all you must sport a 'full set'. No goatees or lone moustaches. They leave those to the RAF.

Dean

New in Town
'full set'! - great expression. Couple of years ago, I grew a 'full set' of Punjab whiskers (think Flashman) while surfing in Morocco.

Funny how people avoided me in the water after that.....no more agro'.

DEAN.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
likelytipfin.png

http://www.lordlikely.com/archives/random-insertions/lord-likelys-guide-to-tipping-ones-hat

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Ack, he's grabbing it by the crown!!!lol

Interesting that an Opera hat is okay with a dinner jacket, at least by 1946. It must be considerably less formal than a top hat.

Thanks for posting that, Feraud.

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Selvaggio said:
Last night I got told off for having my hat on inside.

I was out to see the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band and I was walking through the club in which they were to play when an old guy called out to me and let me know what he thought of my lack of manners! (In my defence, I had literally just walked in and was on the phone a the time).

When I complied he gave me an appreciative nod - kind of nice to know that there are still people out there for whom traditional manners are important, even if I was offending them.

There is not currently a social etiquette requiring you to remove your hat when inside - this is very obvious by the fact that 'indoor' areas are not set up for you to remove your hat. I still try to do it when possible, but I have had coffee spilt on my hat and also grease from a burger when it was set down in front of me - there was simply no safe place to put my hat...no hat hooks, racks, etc.

If this were the '60s or prior, I could see it, but not in the age of baseball caps. And as others have pointed out, there have been periods in the past when no one was expected to remove their hats indoors, so why, in a hatless age, would we think we're bound by a period 50 years ago? Seems sort of arbitrary, or based on your own personal favorite period of nostalgia.

Living in passive-aggressive Seattle, it's very common for people to reprimand you for various things that are none of their business, so I'm used to politely smiling, then ignoring them.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
I have a question about hat etiquette.
In an office building, its ok to keep your hat on in the elevator and in the corridor, but should you take it off once you enter the reception or secretary room or only when you enter your office room? The office would be your own office meaning only you work in that room, like a boss office or something.

Also, lets say somebody is just coming into his office to pick up something or drop something and is right out of the or again. Does he have to take his hat off, even if in the presence of a secretary who may be even in the room before or had followed him in to ask if he needs something?

By the way, I'm asking all that from an old fashioned perspective, not today's since I don even think there's any hat etiquette today.

Thanks.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
retrofashion said:
I have a question about hat etiquette.
In an office building, its ok to keep your hat on in the elevator and in the corridor, but should you take it off once you enter the reception or secretary room or only when you enter your office room? The office would be your own office meaning only you work in that room, like a boss office or something.

Also, lets say somebody is just coming into his office to pick up something or drop something and is right out of the or again. Does he have to take his hat off, even if in the presence of a secretary who may be even in the room before or had followed him in to ask if he needs something?

By the way, I'm asking all that from an old fashioned perspective, not today's since I don even think there's any hat etiquette today.

Thanks.
I agree with Don, you should remove your hat in an elevator if a lady is present.

If your secretary is a lady, you should show her proper respect by removing your hat if you are going to address her at some length.

If you are only offering her a brief greeting (e.g., "Good morning.") as you pass her desk, I think a tug of the brim is sufficient.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the answers.

Going back to the secretary (yes, a lady), if all you are doing is coming in your office and signing some papers for the day and leaving right away, possibly not even sitting down at our desk, should the hat still come off?
Lets say the hypothetical situation where you come in into your office, your secretary follows you in with some papers to sign, you sign them at your desk, have a quick chat with her, maybe about appointments etc and is right out of the door again, all in like 5 minutes. Should you take the hat off for this short length?
Or if you need to come in into an employee room to give them some instructions and the like, not even sitting down or anything, should you take the hat off, even if they are men?
We are talking a big office building for a big company here, if it matters.
Hat etiquette is such an illusive thing. Thanks.

Feraud

Bartender
A very important point about office etiquette..
Ladies engaged in office support work are not called secretaries but administrative assistants.
What's the point in falling over yourself in doffing a hat and holding a door if you are going to insult your co-workers with such an appellation?
Life is not like Mad Men you know.. ;)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
She may even be called your Executive Assistant, have an MBA and make £60k + bonuses...

I tend to think that not taking your hat off signifies that it is only a fleeting visit - if you want to sign and run without being distracted leave it on.

I know some pubs etc in London have a "no hats" rule because it obstructs the CCTV. Big Brother can't see your face under the brim. I suspect some offices probably have similar rules.

retrofashion

One of the Regulars
Puzzicato said:
She may even be called your Executive Assistant, have an MBA and make £60k + bonuses...

I tend to think that not taking your hat off signifies that it is only a fleeting visit - if you want to sign and run without being distracted leave it on.

Thanks Puzzicato.

Feraud said:
A very important point about office etiquette..
Ladies engaged in office support work are not called secretaries but administrative assistants.
What's the point in falling over yourself in doffing a hat and holding a door if you are going to insult your co-workers with such an appellation?
Life is not like Mad Men you know.. ;)

Sorry about the generalization, just didn't think it was necessary to use the proper term, which is longer, but in this case Puzzicato is right and the position I'm talking about is actually Executive Assistant. :)

So do you agree with Puzzicato that it would be ok to leave it on, in both situations, with the EA and with the employee room?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy