Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
Here in the U.S., I follow baseball cap rules--whereever men wear baseball hats, that's where I assume I can wear my fedora. Fastidious rules except for the above in my opinion are outdated.

I think taking your cue regarding etiquette from the general baseball cap wearing crowd is giving it a credit it hardly deserves. Take your cues from here (even from a baseball cap wearing lounger :D) and then behave as you want; at least you'll know how you should ;)

As for setting the hats down, I can't see any harm in setting them down on the crown or on the brim. It just doesn't matter, so far as I can see. About not seeing the lining--first I've heard of it; probably another archaic practice that need not carry over to the modern day.

It does not have quite as much value now as it had 100 years ago, since we do not use grease or other Brill creams as they did back then, so lining is less likely to show stains.
However I always rest my hat on the crown when I am not at home and I cannot hang it, except if I have a pair of gloves to throw in before I hand it to a vestiaire. I know it won't be for a long time anyway.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I allways take my hat off in a restaurant on my vacation a couple of weeks ago I used the support on the chair that many men use to use for storing their hats.
web.jpg

This chair was in Paula Dean's Lady and Son's restaurant good eating there.:)

juggles

New in Town
What a hoot! I never heard of that.

Neither had I. Makes the recent unrest in London seem almost rational.

So was the September 15th date more a New York or New England thing? It would certainly make sense to have looser standards in warmer climates, although rules of etiquette and sense don't always get along together.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My opinion is that one can err on the side of wearing the hat except in a few particular situations, which might be church or synagogue or mosque, sit-down restaurants, performances in a theater obviously, and ceremonies where hats off is customary.

Technically, men are supposed to keep their heads covered in a synagogue, and in more religious, such as orthodox or Lubavitcher, they wear their hats, anyway.

Robert Lee

New in Town
I would say that outside (Churchyard or graveyard), hat on, unless specifically paying respects to a monument, etc.

As far as resting the hat on the crown as opposed to the brim - resting the hat on the crown promotes drying.
I put my sweaty hat on the crown, and flip it over later if I won't be wearing it that day.

Thank you; that clarifies those situations nicely.

danofarlington said:
As for setting the hats down, I can't see any harm in setting them down on the crown or on the brim. It just doesn't matter, so far as I can see. About not seeing the lining--first I've heard of it; probably another archaic practice that need not carry over to the modern day.

Also good to know. Not having heard the rule myself until very recently, I realise that there are several times when I've shown the lining of my new hat, so it's reassuring to believe I may not have caused offence. Thank you.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Technically, men are supposed to keep their heads covered in a synagogue, and in more religious, such as orthodox or Lubavitcher, they wear their hats, anyway.

Oh, well. Then ignore the foregoing in the case of synagogues. Next, someone will tell me that Muslims cover their heads in mosques. They probably do. My new advice is, follow the customs of the place you're in.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Oh, well. Then ignore the foregoing in the case of synagogues. Next, someone will tell me that Muslims cover their heads in mosques. They probably do. My new advice is, follow the customs of the place you're in.

Exactly as danofarlington said: if in doubt about special circumstances ask someone what the customs are. If you're hesitant to ask, watch individuals who appear to belong to the culture involved.

Undertow

A gentleman when paying calls, should take off his coat as entering the hall, but keep his hat in his hands until reaching the drawing room. He should await being offered to put it down by the host/hostess. The reason being that, the visitor is privileged to pay their respects, and should the time not be acceptable, then he should be ready to leave immediately. Hence the phrase: Having one's hat to hand.

A gentleman should hold a hat in such a way that shows only the outside and not the lining.

I think these are both quite important and easily put into practice. It's the little things that count!

Pompidou

One Too Many
I think these are both quite important and easily put into practice. It's the little things that count!

They count, to be certain, but these are (or were) more than just actions, they were symbols that represented various thoughts, like in this case, respect and being unwilling to be an inconvenience. When the meaning of the symbols are no longer known, how important can they be? The gestures of hat etiquette might as well have been letters of an alphabet. The problem seems to be that said alphabet is hieroglyphics and not Roman/western. So, we might have a lot to say as hat wearers, but it doesn't matter one bit, because nobody can understand it.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
The way I behave amongst others is the result of the education I received. But I still do it now because I believe it is important to me, not because it will be understood by them.

dnjan

One Too Many
They count, to be certain, but these are (or were) more than just actions, they were symbols that represented various thoughts, like in this case, respect and being unwilling to be an inconvenience. When the meaning of the symbols are no longer known, how important can they be? The gestures of hat etiquette might as well have been letters of an alphabet. The problem seems to be that said alphabet is hieroglyphics and not Roman/western. So, we might have a lot to say as hat wearers, but it doesn't matter one bit, because nobody can understand it.
And yet, if you are in an elevator alone, and at the next floor a woman gets on and you immediately take your hat off, there will probably be a subconcious understanding.

danofarlington

Ahh. I think doffing hats for ladies is old-fashioned, and only ladies that feel charmed by old-fashioned gestures will appreciate it. The rest will just think you're trying to re-live the early 1900s. Let the objections begin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo