Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I think they think one thing, and you think they think another thing. The real question is, what do the ladies themselves think? I hate to spend too much effort trying to think about what they think, when it could be easily cleared up by hearing from them directly.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Well, I think they think one thing, and you think they think another thing. The real question is, what do the ladies themselves think? I hate to spend too much effort trying to think about what they think, when it could be easily cleared up by hearing from them directly.

Problem is, you can't really ask the question here, because it's a self selected audience of the ladies most inclined to view the gestures the way they were originally intended.

The way I behave amongst others is the result of the education I received. But I still do it now because I believe it is important to me, not because it will be understood by them.

Like waving to somebody = it is about giving them a wave than whether they give you a wave back = better to give than to receive...same for tipping a hat to a lady, IMHO

Pompidou

One Too Many
What? You have never gotten a compliment for removing your hat at the correct time by the general public at large?[huh]

No, never, now that I think about it. Certainly never in regards to strangers. Granted, I almost never use elevators, and I've never taken my hat off in one. I take my hat off, sometimes, in people's houses, and in restaurants if it seems appropriate after scanning the other diners. Generally, I default to assuming hat rules are no longer in effect unless the situation points to otherwise.

No, never, now that I think about it. Certainly never in regards to strangers. Granted, I almost never use elevators, and I've never taken my hat off in one. I take my hat off, sometimes, in people's houses, and in restaurants if it seems appropriate after scanning the other diners. Generally, I default to assuming hat rules are no longer in effect unless the situation points to otherwise.

It must be different there then. I get compliments at the dry cleaners for goodness sake.[huh] It is kind of strange when women come up to you in bars and give you compliments too---especially in front of the wife and children. :p

El Sid

New in Town
I think this is the right thread for my anecdote. I was at a bachelor's party this weekend, part of which included dinner at a high-end restaurant. Upon entering the restaurant I removed my Borsalino ('The Film" model, taupe, 2 5/8 brim, purchased by my wonderful wife as a gift for me at JJ Hatters in Manhattan). Two twenty-somethings in baseball caps, including the best man who is the groom's little brother, did not remove their hats. The father of the groom, a classy septuagenarian, approached the boys and, pointing to me said, "See that, a man who knows what kind of hat to wear knows when to remove it. Take those damn ball caps off or go to McDonalds."

Justin B

One Too Many
Had this happen Saturday night actually.

Went with a couple friends to go see a jazz trio at a swanky place down in Addison. I normally wear a suit and hat when going out, but when my friends showed up they surprised me as they too wear dressed "properly". Anyway, as we entered the place I as always removed my hat, but my buddy Josh didn't. I stepped close and told him, "lose the lid." He had an "oh, right" moment and dragged it off his noggin. Once we were seated but before we'd even had a chance to order drinks a lady came over with a beaming smile and said she just wanted to say how nice it was to see gentlemen who knew to remove their hats and that our mothers must be so proud.

Went with a couple friends to go see a jazz trio at a swanky place down in Addison. I normally wear a suit and hat when going out, but when my friends showed up they surprised me as they too wear dressed "properly". Anyway, as we entered the place I as always removed my hat, but my buddy Josh didn't. I stepped close and told him, "lose the lid." He had an "oh, right" moment and dragged it off his noggin. Once we were seated but before we'd even had a chance to order drinks a lady came over with a beaming smile and said she just wanted to say how nice it was to see gentlemen who knew to remove their hats and that our mothers must be so proud.

Bravo!:eusa_clap

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think this is the right thread for my anecdote. I was at a bachelor's party this weekend, part of which included dinner at a high-end restaurant. Upon entering the restaurant I removed my Borsalino ('The Film" model, taupe, 2 5/8 brim, purchased by my wonderful wife as a gift for me at JJ Hatters in Manhattan). Two twenty-somethings in baseball caps, including the best man who is the groom's little brother, did not remove their hats. The father of the groom, a classy septuagenarian, approached the boys and, pointing to me said, "See that, a man who knows what kind of hat to wear knows when to remove it. Take those damn ball caps off or go to McDonalds."

Classic. I love it.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

Two great stories.:eusa_clap

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
An elderly neighbor lady recently was paid a visit by another neighbor.He had dropped in to see if she would consider selling him a property that she owned.She assured him that she was not at all interested.When the visiting neighbor,who by all accounts is a very nice guy, left, she told her family that she wasn't selling anything to someone who didn't know enough to remove his hat upon entering her house.
Small gestures mean a great deal to some folks.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I manage several people in the technical department of my company. One of my chemists, a middle aged man of fifty, ALWAYS wears a baseball cap. I don't think I have ever seen him without a cap. (I heard that he is bald and is embarrased to be seen without a cap.) I am not sure if he even removes it at bedtime.

Approximately 12 - 13 years ago I held a similar position at another local company. We had a chemist opening and he applied. While his qualifications and experience were adequate for the position in question, he came dressed very casually to the interview and had a baseball cap on. All I could think about in the interview was him wearing that cap. I admit this was prime factor for me not hiring him at the time. So here I am many years later and I "inherited" him when I joined my current company. He is a good employee and relatively hard worker but the damn cap still bothers me. Needless to say it has limited his advancement. I can never imagine sending him to to a customer or business meeting wearing a baseball cap.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

That's an awesome story. Come to Chicago, there's a ton of great jazz places to go to. ;)

randooch

I'll Lock Up

Just curious, Justin, was there a place to hang your hats?

dnjan

One Too Many
I always carry an elastic strap with a smooth-jawed clip on the end so I can hang my hat from the back of my chair. Sometimes I don't need it (they actually have a coat check or at least a coat rack), but I always have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo