Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I may be the outlier here, but I regard most hat etiquette to be outdated and unnecessary.

I agree 100%.

Whoever made up the hat rules is long gone so isn't going to complain no matter what we do.

While I enjoy wearing old style hats, I live in the casual 21st Century, not in the 1930's or 40's. My hat rules are simple. Wear hat when I feel comfortable with hat, remove hat at other times.

Works great!

tealseal

A-List Customer
There's nothing wrong with showing a little class and etiquette, even if everyone around you is clueless or careless. I say go all out and practice proper hatiquette! Who knows? Some of the new generation who are getting into wearing hats may see you and decide to follow suit.

Personally, I try to follow hatiquette as much as possible, although I sometimes forget some of the finer points. I always take my hat off when entering a restaurant or a person's home, and when speaking with a lady on the street. I also take it off when interacting with a cashier or person in a similar position.
I observe as much as I can. However, nothing quite ruins the dignified look of wearing a hat than someone doing a bunch of hat juggling so they can observe all the hatiquette! For example, if your hands are full, and you get on an elevator, it is not improper to keep your hat on!. Similarly, when I am in a position where I'm dealing with cashiers, I'm usually also dealing with the items I'm purchasing, my wallet, and the bags of items I've just purchased. For me, removing my hat in this situation would be incredibly inconvenient.
If eye-contact is a concern, and it's undesirable or impractical to remove your hat, you can easily push it back on your head and expose more of your face. This automatically gives you a more relaxed, approachable look.

Lgrant

New in Town
@Annixter: I think you just hit the nail on the head. These rules are not just a made-up ritual, each has its purpose, like not blocking the server's view of your face (which would not be a problem at the lunch counter, since you are sitting higher up relative to them). They are based on being gracious, and respecting the other person. But usually just the rules, and not the rationales, are listed, making it difficult for a newcomer to hatiquette to decide which ones still apply, and which ones have been rendered obsolete by the changing times.

@tealseal: Yes, as with all rules, you have to make exceptions where following the rules doesn't make sense.

(An example that was mentioned in a recent discussion in the news about supreme court justices and their interpretation of the law was this: If you pass a law that says you can't drive vehicles in the park, and someone is having a heart attack in the park, can you drive an ambulance into the park? The answer is probably that it is illegal, but no court would convict you.)

I would agree that if you are in an elevator, and both hands are carrying stuff, it is OK to leave your hat on. When I am in a store, I generally leave my hat on, but when I am dealing with the cashier, I usually take it off and set it on the counter while I am paying. Why? Because it feels better to me.

And that brings up the most important thing, in my opinion: observing hatiquette is a lot like observing religion. It doesn't do a lot of good to yell at someone of a different faith because he isn't practicing *his* religion the way you practice yours. It is far more useful to look at yourself and see if you are practicing your own religion right.

BTW, thanks to those who posted links to existing threads on hatiquette. This site is so full of information (I was just reading a thread on spectator shoes that was 51 pages long) that it is sometimes difficult to find out if something has been discussed to death before.

Lynn

Lgrant

New in Town
In another thread, it think Annixter just nailed why you take your hat off when you are seated in a restaurant, but not when you sit at the lunch counter: when you are seated, and the waitstaff are standing, the brim of your hat makes it hard for them to see your face, which does not make for good communication. When you are at the lunch counter, you are higher up relative to them, so the brim does not block their view. I believe the previously mentioned idea of not taking up one of the limited number of stools at the bar to hold your hat applies, too.

Lynn

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
As one who worked as a waiter for many years, I'd have found it frustrating and at times daunting to have to navigate my way around hats on men's heads, especially if the establishment was at all "close quarters." And though I mean no offense to anyone who feels differently, I also think it comes off as rude to wear one's hat in that setting, even today.

I would argue that if one is a setting in which one would remove an overcoat, then one should also doff one's hat.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What's even better than that is watching the hat (and/or coat) checker jam the little number card into the ribbon. More than once I have had to ask said oaf to just put the ticket either on top of, or into, the hat.

What I hate is when hat check personnel take the hat, they crunch up the crown like a lobster would do. Clueless. Completely clueless.

I think that's absolutely reasonable. Your etiquette should make you look classy, refined, and display that you have manners. If taking your hat off in a situation is making you look more like a fool than anything, it's probably best to leave it on. The only two times when I think you darn well better for sure is during the National Anthem, and in a Church.

I observe as much as I can. However, nothing quite ruins the dignified look of wearing a hat than someone doing a bunch of hat juggling so they can observe all the hatiquette! For example, if your hands are full, and you get on an elevator, it is not improper to keep your hat on!. Similarly, when I am in a position where I'm dealing with cashiers, I'm usually also dealing with the items I'm purchasing, my wallet, and the bags of items I've just purchased. For me, removing my hat in this situation would be incredibly inconvenient.
If eye-contact is a concern, and it's undesirable or impractical to remove your hat, you can easily push it back on your head and expose more of your face. This automatically gives you a more relaxed, approachable look.

Perhaps they're thinking of the mad hatter?

What's even better than that is watching the hat (and/or coat) checker jam the little number card into the ribbon. More than once I have had to ask said oaf to just put the ticket either on top of, or into, the hat.

mad-hatter-1.jpg

Or that it's your press pass :p

PressFedora03022010.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps they're thinking of the mad hatter?

mad-hatter-1.jpg

Or that it's your press pass :p

PressFedora03022010.jpg

Interesting thing about that Mad Hatter picture - the 10/6 placard is not under the ribbon, but it stands up anyway (yes, I know it's a cartoon.'

On the same topic, this past year summer at camp, I was asked to take pictures of an event. Getting into the spirit of it, I made a quick-n-dirty press pass on a small post-it and stuck it under my ribbon. =oO =o) The director liked what I did so now I've become the unofficial camp photographer. But it's my hat, and I can do what I want to it. And I'm careful so as not to damage the ribbon. And this is not one of my good hats.

0813120941_zpsc8515eee.jpg

tealseal

A-List Customer
In another thread, it think Annixter just nailed why you take your hat off when you are seated in a restaurant, but not when you sit at the lunch counter: when you are seated, and the waitstaff are standing, the brim of your hat makes it hard for them to see your face, which does not make for good communication. When you are at the lunch counter, you are higher up relative to them, so the brim does not block their view. I believe the previously mentioned idea of not taking up one of the limited number of stools at the bar to hold your hat applies, too.

Lynn

Hmm...Even when I'm seated at a lunch counter or bar, my head is still lower than that of the bartender/server. Even when the bartender is in the range of 5' to my 5'10". Hence, I don't really buy this explanation.
After hearing stories from a variety of men my grandfather's age, I suspect that the lack of hat removal at the bar or lunch counter had more to do with the fact that there was a distinct lack of ladies eating lunch at a counter at Woolworth's. Men, apparently, don't have to remove their hats to talk to other men. At least in Detroit, apparently, the lunch counter conversation and demographic was similar to that of the barber's.
An additional fact I gleaned was that if you happened to be at the counter or bar with a lady, one's hat would disappear....interesting

Annixter

Practically Family
Hmm...Even when I'm seated at a lunch counter or bar, my head is still lower than that of the bartender/server. . . . Hence, I don't really buy this explanation. . . .

An additional fact I gleaned was that if you happened to be at the counter or bar with a lady, one's hat would disappear....interesting

But you are much, much higher and almost eye-height to a bartender or standing server when seated at a standard bar/counter, and the person serving you can easily see your face instead of looking one or two feet down at your hat, nor do they have to negotiate your brim when placing food or walking around you, as pointed out by skyvue. As I said, it is one of multiple reasons explained to me in my upbringing, so buy it or not it was an explanation common to those living during the time whom I knew/know.

As for taking your hat off at a bar or lunch counter if a woman sits down, I've never heard of this modification to the rule. Do you have an online source we could look at for further insight. From a very brief search on google, there are plenty of pictures with men wearing hats at bars/counters with women present:

article-0-12A39E9B000005DC-904_964x712.jpg

271145_462741987082619_486061481_n.jpg

7699448798_2bb3a407ee_b.jpg

hoskins%252520drug_thumb%25255B8%25255D.jpg

JonnyO

A-List Customer
From the pictures you posted Annixter, it does appear though the majority of the gentlemen tilt the hat up just a bit so there is more of a range of vision.

tealseal

A-List Customer
Thanks for the photos Annixter!
I don't have any source to verify with, it's just something I heard during my upbringing.
There's obviously no singular set of hatiquette rules.

Annixter

Practically Family
There's obviously no singular set of hatiquette rules.

You have that correct for certain, which is why I enjoy this thread because it allows us to collect what we "heard during [our] upbringing" or what we can gather from older etiquette books and photos. There's just as many vintage photos of men without hats on sitting at bars/counters with women, so I'm sure the rule applied differently to different venues; as pointed out earlier by others, higher-end joints would have had a reputable hatcheck that was probably used by all men no matter whether they intended to sit at the bar or not. It's times like these I wish my grandparents were still alive, for I would talk them senseless with questions that I have only developed in adulthood.

I've always heard the unwritten Cowboy Code = If eating at the counter, okay to leave your hat on. If eating at a table or booth, remove your hat.
Now, when I'm eating out while attending horse shows & auctions, I mostly see hats on at tables, booths & counters. It is more that folks would rather see your hat than what your hair looks like with it off. And these are places with plenty of hat racks & hooks....

Earl Needham

Familiar Face
I've always heard the unwritten Cowboy Code = If eating at the counter, okay to leave your hat on. If eating at a table or booth, remove your hat.
Now, when I'm eating out while attending horse shows & auctions, I mostly see hats on at tables, booths & counters. It is more that folks would rather see your hat than what your hair looks like with it off. And these are places with plenty of hat racks & hooks....

I'd rather guess that they simply don't KNOW that they should remove their cover while inside --

Many traditional values and conventions are modified over time. I am pretty sure that there was a "problem" with people not removing their hats 100 to 150 years ago becuase it all ahas to do with if you were taught these conventions and if you see a value to them.

Go to any major league sporting event and see how many people leave their hats on during the national anthem.

dnjan

One Too Many
I've heard "and remove your hats" as part of the "please stand and join us in singing the National Anthem" at college games.
They didn't add that at the game I went to this past Saturday, and I could see a guy old enough to be a Viet Nam Vet in my section that kept his on while standing.

I've heard "and remove your hats" as part of the "please stand and join us in singing the National Anthem" at college games. They didn't add that at the game I went to this past Saturday, and I could see a guy old enough to be a Viet Nam Vet in my section that kept his on while standing.

Either he was hard of hearing or doesn't value the tradition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko