Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

Canadave

One Too Many
Those are nice hats! Where'd you get the Optimo?

Obviously, I like the stingy brims too, even if some around here think they're best suited to "clowns". ;)

Guess that's why it's not called The Pork Pie Lounge!

D

PS Yeah, Bruce's hat looks too big, but I don't think it's a mistake. My guess is that it's either his preference, for comedic value, or just "a look'!

Canadave

One Too Many
Thanks Zohar, I know about that site but don't find it too helpful, as one can't really see a variety of styles. I'd be curious what Rundquist's hat is called, and whether Optimos can be purchased elsewhere, or only from the site or in person in Chicago.

Thanks again,

David

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Originally posted by Canadave
Thanks Zohar, I know about that site but don't find it too helpful, as one can't really see a variety of styles. I'd be curious what Rundquist's hat is called, and whether Optimos can be purchased elsewhere, or only from the site or in person in Chicago.

Thanks again,

David

Well, I'm at the risk of going off topic, but here goes.

The Optimo site doesn't really show any of their styles. They do have a brochure, that you can get if you call them and ask them to mail you one, but the brochure doesn't have all of their styles in it either. Your best bet is to call them.

Rundquist's hat is a Milan Straw hat (pronounced My-Lin). It has a teardrop shaped block. The hat I showed above is similar to his, but it has a center dent block. They have numerous blocks, but they try to get one that will look good on your face and body type.

The Optimo Hat Co. is in Chicago, and it is best to buy hats directly from them. They sell their own hats. They are not a reseller of other hats.
For more information on them, I'd recommend looking at MK's Golden Era page on them here:
http://www.thegoldenera.net/Optimo.html

You may want to go through some of the old posts here where you can see some of the hats they have made for other members of the lounge.

My main recommendation for you though, if you are really interested in one of their hats, is to call them
773-238-2999
They are open from 10am-5pm Central time. Very cool people, and nice to talk to.

Cheers,
Nathan

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I agree that Milan straw has a unique appeal. I have a couple Milans and I'm getting to like the look more and more. I also agree that Willis' hat in "Whole Ten Yards" fits badly and makes him look dorky, at least in the key art. However, not having seen the movie, it's possible that that was the point: maybe his character is supposed to look like a dork. There was a film a few years ago in which Andy Garcia habitually wore hats, but he was supposed to come off as some who thought he looked cool, rather than someone who actually looked cool.

farnham54

A-List Customer
Judging by the look on his face in the pic with the Alias lady, the goofy hat is probobly for comedic value. Either way, this thread has cemented it: I'll have to check this one out in theaters. It's out on the 9th of April for all those interested.

REgards,

Craig

hatlady

New in Town
bruce willis's hat

I agree with the gentleman who said this looks like a woman's hat! The crown is too deep. The braid is a very fine quailty Milan straw, and there is a fab place in NYC to get vintage petersham or gros grain ribbon. I make one similar in a hemp and a straw/paper blend material, yet sadly I do not YET have a crown block large enough for your generous headsize.

Still looking out for you, Karyn

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I think that straw hat on BW looks like a broad's hat too. But since it is a comedy I'll let it go. "The Whole Nine Yards" is a very funny movie and greatly overlooked at its release. The sequel doesn't look all that good from the trailers. Neither did TWNY though.

BW's hat in "Last Man Standing" is durn cool even with the stingy brim. I like that flick.

Ok, I am sort of confused with today's ideas of hat etiquette. Should we wear a hat inside say a public building or someone's house?
I had a grandmother who would knock the hat off your head if you came into the house with it on. Hats are for outside she would say. Now I see all kinds of people wearing baseball caps everywhere. I swear they go to sleep with them on. :D Out of habit I take my hat off when I am inside whether it is an eating establishment, home, public building or the like. Others leave them on.
So in short, my question is what do you refined gentlemen do and what is acceptible now? I am confused. :confused:

regards to all,

J

Last edited by a moderator:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You can find hat etiquette

There are spots in the internet to find out on this. Try this one on for size:

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:
1.Lifting or tipping it, which you generally do for strangers.
2.Taking it off, which you generally do for friends (or in some cases, as a sign of patriotism or reverence).
Both are done as a sign of respect toward the other and dignity toward oneself.

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man takes off his hat outdoors (and indoors):
(1) when he is being introduced to someone, or when saying goodbye to a woman, elder, friend or ;
(2) as a greeting when passing someone he knows, particularly a lady, on the street (In some cases, tipping or lifting a hat and bowing slightly may be used as a substitute for removing a hat, as a passing gesture);
(3) while talking, particularly with a woman, an older man, or a clergyman;
(4) while the National Anthem is being played, or the American Flag is passing;
(5) at a funeral or in the presence of a passing funeral procession,
(6) when speaking to another of a virtuous woman or a dearly departed loved one.

A man tips or lifts his hat:
(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;
(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;
(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;
(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;
(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions.

Indoors, a man should always remove his hat, (particularly in a home, church, court room or restaurant) except:
(1) in public buildings or public places such as railroad stations or post offices;
(2) in the main parlor area of a saloon or general store;
(3) or while seated at the "lunch counter" of a diner or cafe;
(4) in entrance halls and corridors of office buildings, or hotels;
(5) in elevators of public or office buildings, unless a woman is present;
(6) if carrying packages, parcels or bags and both hands are occupied upon entry.

If in doubt, it is best for a gentleman to remove his hat indoors as soon as practical.
It is considered a sign of contempt and/or disrespect to leave your hat on when it would be proper to remove it. It is surprising how many people do not remove their hats for the National Anthem or a passing funeral procession.. a shame really..

Reactions: niv
Dear Andy,

Thanks for that missive. I now know that I can wear my hat during a city council meeting for the reason stated in the first sentence of your last paragraph. :D
This is good to remember. I will print it out and commit it to memory. I don't want to appear boorish even if others are dismissive of correct hat etiquette. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Bravo Andy!!
Although I have to confess I don't follow these rules exactly I DO try to show respect by removing my hat indoors and tipping it to show respect and hopefully so few know what the etiquette is that i can get away with that!! Manners in general have declined over the years and I find it disheartening at times. If there are any doubts, just go to a Vintage Expo sometime and watch how 50-100 year old garments are handled by so alled "professionals" and enthusiasts.
Thanks for the posting James and the reply Andy

STHill

One of the Regulars
JP, I've been meaning to ask that same question for a while. Thanks for bringing it up. And thanks, Andy, for the detailed answer. The last part, about when it's okay to wear a hat inside, is what I've always been confused about. For instance, in the Maltese Falcon, there's a scene in a hotel lobby where all the men are wearing their hats. Apparently the lobby either qualifies as an "entrance hall" or a "public place."

A related issue: There are no longer hat racks (or even coat racks in most places) or any other convenient places to put your hat when you are inside most places. So you wind up awkwardly holding it or setting it somewhere it could get sat upon or otherwise damaged. Life's tough for us nonconformists!

rayk

Familiar Face
Thanks Andy. I have your hat etiquette tips printed and posted next to my desk. Perhaps, if I glance at them often enough, I'll commit them to memory. It's unlikely that I'll ever feel comfortable in the practice of all, but I will make a concerted effort to adhere to those most salient.

Canadave

One Too Many
Re: You can find hat etiquette

Originally posted by Andykev
There are spots in the internet to find out on this. Try this one on for size:

There are two degrees of politeness demonstrated by a gentleman wearing a hat:...

Now that we know "the rules", I'd like to hear what people really do. Many of these seem really outdated.

I'll go first - I was in a casual dining establishment the other night, and was wearing my hat at the table. It was kind of a funky place, and this seemed appropriate. When the food arrived, however, I felt uncomfortable, so took it off. I'm sure many of you would have taken the hat off inside the restaurant upon entering...that's what I'd like to hear. What do you all do in this and other situations?

(BTW, regarding STHill's observation regarding the disappearing hat rack...I was in another restaurant the other day, and atop their small coatrack, there was a round platform upon which my straw fit perfectly!)

Keep well,

David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner