Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alley Kat Hat Co

RJR

I absolutely agree. If you want to survive in any retail-based career, and particularly in one that is such a niche market like custom hatmaking is these days, you have to be able to give the customer what he/she wants regardless of whether or not that aligns with your own personal tastes.

The main difference I see between your artificially distressed hats and those I've seen produced by some hatters is that you combine your skills, techniques, and artistic visions, with a sense of realism. What I mean by that is that anyone with a few techniques can artificially distress a hat, but the results usually seem so random and over-done that it becomes obvious that the "wear and tear" is artificial. When you do it, the stains and such are more subtle and placed where they would be if they had been attained through years of use, so your hats don't have that "fake" look to them. I think, and hope, this gives you a bit of an edge on "the competition", and if I were ever in the market for an artificially distressed hat I'd want you to make it for me.
+1

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Tom, here are some pictures that show the sweat, and oils from many decades of what I envision as the artful patina to capture the aged looks. @gtdean48
I don't just light them up, and cook the life out of them. I actually put a lot of thought in pulling that look off. Thanks for the like Pard!
b2699c7ece97ad278c455bad0cf03651.jpg
2bab7687bc10953d1f8e5ab71f365c16.jpg
8c19274087807637ff467292580dfeca.jpg
1b8c0db14d7add06840679d96c9cbea9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
This is "movie hat" material...realistic as it can get for making a hat look like it has been worn for twenty years and is the only hat someone wore all those years. This is real talent. If you have ever seen other hatters that make a "tattered" looking hat, those hats look like they came from a cheapo stand at the local fairgrounds.

Another note for anyone to know....Tim cares so much for his customer base, you can't help but know he is FAMILY and wants to go that extra effort no matter what comes along in a build he is doing for you.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Ladies and Gentlemen, Señoras y Señores, meine Damen und Herren, Mesdames et Messieurs, it is my great pleasure to present to you...

Cane's Creations Hat Number 36:

IJ7KTmC.jpg
4lCZUYc.jpg

acQrZp5.jpg

faNVMjX.jpg

And now for the usual stats:

Felt: Rabbit
Felt color: Whiskey
Ribbon: "Likely 1940s-era" (according to Tim) Grosgrain
Ribbon color: Dark Coffee (according to Tim's vendor)
Ribbon width: 1-1/2"
Crown height (as shaped): 4-3/8" at the front, 4-1/2" at the peak, 4" at the rear
Crown height (open): I have no idea because I don't wear my hats open crown, so I asked Tim to use whichever open crown height would give him enough material to work with to shape the crown.
Brim width: 2-3/4"

And here's a shot of the liner:

ncWSeuE.jpg

The colors in that photo aren't particularly accurate. In person the liner isn't as pink as it appears, and I'd say it's more of a "mocha" color. And the color of the sweatband is similar to that of "flesh" colored bandages, except it's more subdued. I didn't have a preference for the liner and/or sweatband colors, so I left that to Tim knowing he'd get it right. And he did; those colors aren't something I would ever have thought of on my own, but they work very well with the Whiskey felt.

Speaking of the sweatband, here's a shot of the stitching:

PWwAv2Q.jpg

I've included this photo for two reasons. First, because Tim stitches his sweatbands by hand and, as you can see, his work is clean and precise. Second, because the color of the liner in this photo is a truer representation of the actual color.

And now, for the obligatory head shots:

tXGFkot.jpg

The color of the felt in the top photo is fairly accurate for direct sunlight. As usual, I was surprised by the actual color of the felt--I had only seen it in photos here on The Lounge, and it tends to photograph much lighter and with a golden/yellowish hue. What is it with hat felt anyway? Why does the color rarely (if ever) photograph accurately? To be clear, although this was quite a bit darker than the color I was expecting, I like it just as much. In direct sunlight it's a rich, warm brown, and the felt fibers reflect light with a variety of slightly lighter colors; it's really a beautiful felt!

And, while I'm on the subject, the felt is very soft like a comfortable old blanket (but thinner). By comparison, my Akubras are as stiff as a sheet of plywood. But, as soft as it is, the felt holds it's shape well. I've never handled a vintage fedora, but I can't imagine it being much different. And since the leather sweatband is also nice and soft, the hat conformed to my head almost immediately. It's very comfortable to wear, and I don't think the fit could have been better if Tim had built the hat around my head while I was sitting in his house.

The color of the ribbon was Tim's first, and only, suggestion. As I've stated earlier in this thread, I think Tim and I have similar tastes. When he sent me a photo of that ribbon next to the Whiskey felt I thought it was a perfect match, so there was no need to look any further. And, as you would expect from a quality hatter, there are no visible stitches attaching the ribbon to the crown.

I did make two minor alterations to the hat when I received it. First, I tightened the front pinch a little. Second, I "snapped" the front of the brim down a little further than it was, just to make the hat more "me". I like the brims on my hats to have a lot of shape, and Tim definitely came through on that request--the brim has a wonderful amount of curl, just the way I like it! That said, any imperfections in the pinch or on the front of the brim are the results of my ham-fisted handling.

It has been said before in this thread, but it bears repeating--Tim is a great person to work with! He communicates with his customers regularly throughout the process to keep them advised about the progress of their hats, complete with a number of photos, and will discuss details until he has a full understanding of what the customer wants if necessary. And even though I received updates almost daily, the process from start to finish was very relaxed with no pressure whatsoever to make any on-the-spot decisions. As for the quality of his work, allow me to reiterate: Clean and precise hand-stitching, hidden stitching attaching the ribbon and bow to the crown, wonderfully soft felt that holds it's shape well, and a perfect fit. Tim made exactly the hat I wanted, and I couldn't be happier with the quality of the hat or the quality of the service I received from him.

As usual, opinions, comments, and/or questions are welcome and appreciated!
That's what I'm talkin' about!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
So sorry about the multiple pictures but I have these from Tim I am sure you have all been wondering what is ongoing....well as he said to me...the "Kat" has more than a few lives...and he is back up for his wonderful magic making some sweet hats...this one is a Pecan 100% Beaver....and look at how sweet it looks...not sure about all the measurements on it...but hey, these pictures are enough to make you want to wear it right off! As you all know, Tim has been "through" a lot for some time...but as some of us have things go badly for us, he is back up on that saddle making his hats now so PLEASE give him a shout out ! I am sure he can answer any questions you have to ask about his work.

I see the hat pictures I just posted the brim is a 2 3/4....and if you want to contact Tim he will be more available by emails to him at Alleykathatter@ptd.net

I bet you will have a next to ZERO time waiting for a hat to be started right now!

Good morning, I've read back through some posts and I'm glad to know some folks here missed seeing and hearing from me. I'm a pretty honest man and have no problem telling you what happened to me. Yes, I was trying to move, and that experience was horrible. And the place I was going to was not good for me, it is small, tight, and honestly, it shut me down, and I got myself depressed. And the failed home buyers and that whole experience over a 8 month period really put me in a tail spin. My head was full and I was very upset and anxious. Sold just about everything I had because a realtor said hurry up this deal is about to close. 4 extensions later, no closing. It forced me to sell my old car and my motorcycle.
When I realized, my situation was not good where I was going, and I was having a hard time just getting out of bed, I knew depression was getting me. I decided to move the little belongings I have and return home. I'm here a few days now. Finally, I'm sleeping through the night, getting up at up at 7 am daily, and working on the couple orders I have, I am keeping busy. I had 3 very productive days, and I got more done in 3 days, than I was able to get to in 5 months due to where my situation put me. I finished a build, which Cindy posted and I am working on Two now, heading to Montana, and picked up a repeat client in Northern California. It's going to be a struggle here for me, and I have a lot on my plate. But home feels right, and it becomes more obvious to me as I sleep through the night, and wake at 7 am with out hesisitation looking forward to the day. Like I said, I'm a honest guy. This was a extremely difficult time in my life, and still is as I hope to get on my feet again. But again, the obvious for me was being able to drop right back into a routine. I've only got limited Internet on my phone. I need to use a local spot with free WiFi to add to my Instagram. And now to check in here. The best way to get with me is email, alleykathatter@ptd.net or my cell which I don't mind putting out here 570.578.9258
@Mustang Mike's Hats I am very sorry I didn't get to answer your call. I was at my lowest point. @Gunloader55 you have been a rock for me @Preacher Man brother you know as well how difficult this has been. Again, I'm happy to know there are other people out here that care about me. @RJR @Zombie_61 and the others that were here asking about me that as I type the names escape me, my apologies. In closing, thank you all very much. It's nice to know people care. You all have a great day, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all. Respectfully, Tim

humanshoes

One Too Many
Good morning, I've read back through some posts and I'm glad to know some folks here missed seeing and hearing from me. I'm a pretty honest man and have no problem telling you what happened to me. Yes, I was trying to move, and that experience was horrible. And the place I was going to was not good for me, it is small, tight, and honestly, it shut me down, and I got myself depressed. And the failed home buyers and that whole experience over a 8 month period really put me in a tail spin. My head was full and I was very upset and anxious. Sold just about everything I had because a realtor said hurry up this deal is about to close. 4 extensions later, no closing. It forced me to sell my old car and my motorcycle.
When I realized, my situation was not good where I was going, and I was having a hard time just getting out of bed, I knew depression was getting me. I decided to move the little belongings I have and return home. I'm here a few days now. Finally, I'm sleeping through the night, getting up at up at 7 am daily, and working on the couple orders I have, I am keeping busy. I had 3 very productive days, and I got more done in 3 days, than I was able to get to in 5 months due to where my situation put me. I finished a build, which Cindy posted and I am working on Two now, heading to Montana, and picked up a repeat client in Northern California. It's going to be a struggle here for me, and I have a lot on my plate. But home feels right, and it becomes more obvious to me as I sleep through the night, and wake at 7 am with out hesisitation looking forward to the day. Like I said, I'm a honest guy. This was a extremely difficult time in my life, and still is as I hope to get on my feet again. But again, the obvious for me was being able to drop right back into a routine. I've only got limited Internet on my phone. I need to use a local spot with free WiFi to add to my Instagram. And now to check in here. The best way to get with me is email, alleykathatter@ptd.net or my cell which I don't mind putting out here 570.578.9258
@Mustang Mike's Hats I am very sorry I didn't get to answer your call. I was at my lowest point. @Gunloader55 you have been a rock for me @Preacher Man brother you know as well how difficult this has been. Again, I'm happy to know there are other people out here that care about me. @RJR @Zombie_61 and the others that were here asking about me that as I type the names escape me, my apologies. In closing, thank you all very much. It's nice to know people care. You all have a great day, from the bottom of my heart, thank you all. Respectfully, Tim
Glad to hear you're doing better Tim. The world absolutely cannot afford to lose another hatter. Be well and stay strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ