Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost Time to Get Your Knees Brown!

penfencer

Familiar Face
Sorry to be a little off topic-

Where can I get a hold of the male version of styrofoam heads?

All I've ever found or the women's heads. Who sells these things?

Thanks,

pen

RAAF

New in Town
BellyTank said:
Not True! :)

Replicaters' make at least some of what Jerry sells.

B
T

BT,
If you have any WPG uniforms, look at the labels. You'll find they're all made in Pakistan. This includes British woolen battledress, khaki drill items, jungle green uniforms, US uniforms, etc.

He does have a guy in India who makes all kinds of metal hardware and things like bayonet scabbards, etc. However, the guy is not Replicators.

Speedster

Practically Family
Very cool outfit Baggers. I am also very interested in WWII tropical gear, Indy style gear etc. but do not have the knowledge that you guys have.

Many, many years ago i bought a pith helmet in Copenhagen (the only hat shop in Copenhagen: Petitgas). It cost me a small fortune and is made with vinyl sweatband and edge:mad: It is stashed away in the attic somewhere and i will post some pictures of it when i find it.

In the meantime, here is a picture of my great grandfather in tropical gear. It is taken somewhere in Siam, probably in the 20'ies. He worked in the far east in the first part of the last century.

oldef002.jpg

Speedster

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Speedster said:
In the meantime, here is a picture of my great grandfather in tropical gear. It is taken somewhere in Siam, probably in the 20'ies. He worked in the far east in the first part of the last century.

oldef002.jpg

Speedster

What an awesome picture! That is just classic. Do you know what kind of shoes he was wearing?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Just got my latest order from Jerry. It included my pistol ammo pouch, the full hose for KD, and anklets. I'm really swimming in these anklets, so I might have to go for short puttees, since I can't find any size 2 anklets. OK, OK, so I have skinny legs!

Here's a question, though: anybody know a good source for rank slides for the KD uniform?

I was going to put sergeant chevrons on my KD shirt, since that is my actual rank equivalent, but I think I'd like to get some officer slides, instead. That way I can be either a private or an officer, easily. An officer interpretation also will let me use my US Army garrison shoes as a close-enough for British officer's brown ammo boots, since I can't afford a pair right now. Anklets or short puttees would disquise them a little, too, for battle order.

desertweasel

New in Town
Khaki Rank Slides

I think the best thing to do about rank slides is to make your own. Find a cheap/old pair of khaki pants/whatever that match your bush jacket and have at 'er. You could ask Chris Kanca at the Air Diggers RAF forum about it, he has made his own (I think using an orig. set as a pattern).

Keep in mind I believe only officer braid was worn on rank slides in WWII, other ranks didn't have epaulets on the khaki service dress uniform and I don't know if they wore chevrons on shirts.

Baggers

Practically Family
desertweasel said:
I think the best thing to do about rank slides is to make your own. Find a cheap/old pair of khaki pants/whatever that match your bush jacket and have at 'er. You could ask Chris Kanca at the Air Diggers RAF forum about it, he has made his own (I think using an orig. set as a pattern).

Keep in mind I believe only officer braid was worn on rank slides in WWII, other ranks didn't have epaulets on the khaki service dress uniform and I don't know if they wore chevrons on shirts.

I agree in part. For officer's rank slides, just find some khaki drill close to the same shade as the shirt and have someone make up a pair for you. Then all you'll have to do is sew the rank pips or crowns on them. A source for these is Pass In Review. He sells mostly originals, but his prices are very reasonable. Just remember, if you're doing early war, make sure they're on khaki wool. Arm of Service colors (scarlet for Infantry, Red for General Service or Staff, yellow for Armour, etc.) weren't introduced until later in the war.

Other Ranks and NCOs did have epaulettes on their uniforms, they just didn't wear rank on them. They did, however have slip ons to identify their regiments or divisions. It just depends on which unit you're planning to portray. Chevrons used were originally the khaki worsted variety worn on the wool battledress, but only on the right sleeve and then usually attached with small press studs so that they could be removed when the shirt or tunic was laundered. There were also theatre made chevrons manufactured from khaki drill fabric and white tape, again, only worn on one sleeve but at least they were sewn in place. A great reference book is Khaki Drill & Jungle Green, by Martin Brayley and Richard Ingram. Lots of color pictures of models wearing original uniform items.

I'll try to post pictures of the rank slides I have tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
I agree in part. For officer's rank slides, just find some khaki drill close to the same shade as the shirt and have someone make up a pair for you. Then all you'll have to do is sew the rank pips or crowns on them. A source for these is Pass In Review. He sells mostly originals, but his prices are very reasonable. Just remember, if you're doing early war, make sure they're on khaki wool. Arm of Service colors (scarlet for Infantry, Red for General Service or Staff, yellow for Armour, etc.) weren't introduced until later in the war.

Yes, the slides on page 48 of Khaki Drill & Jungle Green are exactly what I had in mind.

Pass in review is a good site, and it seems to have the options I like, but their selection is so confusing! For example, they have one listed as "Lt, white & brown pip on KD slip-ons, pair, $8.00" I think those are the same as the ones in Brayley and Ingram, which is great, but it's hard to tell for sure without a picture. Haven't they heard of digital cameras?!

Alternatively, the rank pips offered at the Worldwide Military Exchange also seem right; I'd just need to make my own slip-ons and use the metal pips, like on page 45 (the guy in the tin hat) in Brayley and Ingram.

I suppose I may just have to commit at some point to a particular interpetation! I just vacilate between what I want to be able to portray, including RAF. Unfortunately most of my stuff is Army, and the RAF gear was distinctive in many case. I've watched a few RAF bush shirts come and go on e-Bay, but I really like the uniform on the Flight Lieutenant on page 75. Give me that combo (and a Kittyhawk) and I'm all set! Nick, the Worldwide Military Exchange has just the right wings, too!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Bump!

OK, Baggers, I promised this some time ago!

CommonwealthKit.jpg

Pardon the US service boots; they're the closest I have to ammo boots right now. Brothel creepers are on my wish list, too, and I have yet to decide on officer or enlisted rank, so no insignia at present. Mostly complete, with my new anklets, courtesy of MikePara. Thanks again, Mike!

I also forgot to put my ANZAC badge back on the side of my slouch, and it currently has the excellent safari bash put into it by Art. I didn't want to disturb that!

Baggers

Practically Family
Jolly good show, Mojave! While realizing that the U.S. boot is a slightly different pattern from British, they could pass for officer's brown boots ("Ruperts" usually wore brown footwear as opposed to the OR's black). The shorts look good too. What did you do to them, taper the legs a bit? At least you didn't mess with the length. They look perfect in that regard.

I like the belt order with the pistol too. I may have to post another shot with mine. I have a flapped holster and the neck lanyard for my "war finish" marked .380 Webley. Also have a compass pouch for my '39 dated Mk IX lensatic. Get those bits and bobs along with a 37 pattern map case and maybe an officer's valise and you'll be good to go.

As for the adding the sunburst badge to the side of the slouch, why not just keep it bare and stay British? You won't have to poke holes in the brim, and you've already got the British style folded pagri. The ANZACs didn't switch to that type until about mid war. Up until that point they had used a plain dark khaki wool pagri that looked more like a wide hatband.

I think I will do another shot or two tomorrow, but I'm planning to show off a dressier look with my bush jacket and long trousers. We'd look quite the pair if I showed up at the QM Summit, wouldn't we?

Cheers! :cheers1:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Baggers said:
Jolly good show, Mojave! While realizing that the U.S. boot is a slightly different pattern from British, they could pass for officer's brown boots ("Ruperts" usually wore brown footwear as opposed to the OR's black). The shorts look good too. What did you do to them, taper the legs a bit? At least you didn't mess with the length. They look perfect in that regard.

Thanks! I did get the length shortened a bit. They were about 3 inches past my knees! They looked like the culottes that Miss Queenie was shuddering over. I had to taper the legs in a bit, too.

Baggers said:
I like the belt order with the pistol too. I may have to post another shot with mine. I have a flapped holster and the neck lanyard for my "war finish" marked .380 Webley. Also have a compass pouch for my '39 dated Mk IX lensatic. Get those bits and bobs along with a 37 pattern map case and maybe an officer's valise and you'll be good to go.

I actually need quite a few more bits of the 37 pattern web gear. I like the short drop tanker's holster, but I'd like to get a flap holster, too; not to mention the Webley to go into it!

Baggers said:
As for the adding the sunburst badge to the side of the slouch, why not just keep it bare and stay British? You won't have to poke holes in the brim, and you've already got the British style folded pagri. The ANZACs didn't switch to that type until about mid war. Up until that point they had used a plain dark khaki wool pagri that looked more like a wide hatband.

Funny! I switched out the OD hat band for the folded puggaree just moments before the pictures! I prefer the plain hat band, since when I'm wearing the hat around it doesn't scream "Jungle Jim" as loudly. Most people don't even realize its the basis for the safari hat with the older band. My wife preferred the puggaree, though, so I indulged her. I also prefer the hat band for the earlier war interpretation, too. I usually kept the brim folded down, too, the way it was worn in the field. I only flipped that up for the picture, too!

Baggers said:
I think I will do another shot or two tomorrow, but I'm planning to show off a dressier look with my bush jacket and long trousers. We'd look quite the pair if I showed up at the QM Summit, wouldn't we?

Cheers! :cheers1:

Yeah, we would! I hope you can make it! I'd like to pull together a bush jacket combo, too. I keep looking at them, especially the short sleeve RAF version. Brothel creepers, service cap, trousers, and bush jacket. What a sharp and comfortable combo. No wonder that is the classic tropical look!

Cobden

Practically Family
Another person posting a picture of himself in tropical kit; this time portraying 1st Btn. The Essex Regt. "Chindit" in Burma, 1943. I'm the second from the right in KD's. I also have a solar topee (which my parents got in Bombay in the 1980's), as well as a KD bush shirt, shorts, hose tops.

Essex.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner