Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha Industries M65 Field Jacket

Sonero

Practically Family
Ive got 2 - olive green (large); black (large) both about 15 years old and both with liners.

I’m 5’8’ and 185lb (42s suit) and they are both loose and roomy ... which I like and can layer if need be .... these weren’t designed to be fashion fit they were designed for function over form

I guess this means I need an XL at 5' 11" 215 ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I emailed Alpha to see what they say. I told them I wanted a slimmer look.

I have a 48R " chest. Medium sounds extreme. I was thinking maybe large ?

I suspect a large will still be roomy.

I have a 42-44 inch chest and the pit to pit of my medium is about 25 inches so the Alpha medium fits like an extra large would in most other jackets. I can fit a thick sweater and a jacket under mine. I probably need a small to get a fitted look.

I would ask them what the pit to pit is of each size to check. I suspect a XL will fit like a sack of do-dos.

Some people like to wear things that are hugely over sized but it sounds like that's not you.

Sonero

Practically Family
$_0.JPG
An Ebay member just sent me this pic of a current Alpha M-65 P2P measurement. 26". This is equal to my LL Bean size XL travel jacket/field coat. I think I will go with the medium.

Thank You for the responses.

Sonero

Practically Family
Unknown-1.jpeg
After more research I am leaning towards the Cockpit USA made in the USA version. It is noticeably more expensive but seems to be higher quality. Can anyone verify this for me ?

Thanks

cockpit-z26l008w-olive-front-02_1.jpg

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
View attachment 152564 After more research I am leaning towards the Cockpit USA made in the USA version. It is noticeably more expensive but seems to be higher quality. Can anyone verify this for me ?

Thanks

View attachment 152558

Why not just pick up a US made unissued official M-65 field jacket? It’s made better, will last longer, cost less money and is authentic.

- Ian

Sonero

Practically Family
Why not just pick up a US made unissued official M-65 field jacket? It’s made better, will last longer, cost less money and is authentic.

- Ian

Haven't found anything in my size or to my liking. Looked into Golden but they don't have my size and Ebay and Mguire Army/Navy. Where else ?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Haven't found anything in my size or to my liking. Looked into Golden but they don't have my size and Ebay and Mguire Army/Navy. Where else ?

EBay must have every size of official M-65 field jacket, at least 10 times over. They have your size. If you take the time to look around you’ll find one in your size in unissued/mint (or nearly) condition. Worst case scenario, you may have to look over a few week period to find your size in unissued condition. They’re available. Millions were made and they’re nearly indestructible.

If that’s not what you really want, just say so and move on to the imitation jacket.

- Ian

Sonero

Practically Family
EBay must have every size of official M-65 field jacket, at least 10 times over. They have your size. If you take the time to look around you’ll find one in your size in unissued/mint (or nearly) condition. Worst case scenario, you may have to look over a few week period to find your size in unissued condition. They’re available. Millions were made and they’re nearly indestructible.

If that’s not what you really want, just say so and move on to the imitation jacket.

- Ian

I just looked. Found a few in my size in "used " condition from Vietnam era. No Thanks. I plan on dressing it up with an oxford shirt and nice jeans....more like the un military/military look. I want something nice that doesn't show any bullet holes :)

Wasn't Cockpit USA a US Army contractor at one point ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No idea about Cockpit USA. Tell us what you think. The Alphas are as good as the issued ones I've seen. Better. They come in black which is how I wear them. Doesn't Schott also do them?

Sonero

Practically Family
No idea about Cockpit USA. Tell us what you think. The Alphas are as good as the issued ones I've seen. Better. They come in black which is how I wear them. Doesn't Schott also do them?
I keep seeing horrible reviews for the Alphas. How recent is yours ? Things like snaps breaking off.
Today I recieved a Alpha slim fit ma-1 in vintage olive. I really like it.
Also wanted black but Cockpit only has green.

Schott does peacoats and flight jackets. Have not seen an m65.....right ?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My Alpha is about 10 years-old so they may have gone to shit in that time. But even when I got it I heard people say they were inferior. There's a bit of a prejudice agains civilian version of military gear. I've had a lot of milspec gear over they years and it isn't always that well made, poor stitching and buttons that come off. You're in the States, can't you go look at one? Or do I have the wrong idea about what's available?

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Alpha had a government contract and those were very good. Years ago, Alpha’s civilian versions were fine jackets. I have also read that their quality has dropped substantially in recent times. Regarding Cockpit USA, they never had a government contract for M-65 field jackets.

- Ian

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I just looked. Found a few in my size in "used " condition from Vietnam era. No Thanks. I plan on dressing it up with an oxford shirt and nice jeans....more like the un military/military look. I want something nice that doesn't show any bullet holes :)

Wasn't Cockpit USA a US Army contractor at one point ?

On eBay, you have to look in vintage clothing and in militaria under collectibles. I can’t beleive that there were only a few with “bullet holes.” What size are you? I’ll look later today.

- Ian

Interbak

One of the Regulars
Wouldn't waste money on an Alpha or a Cockpit, but i’m Luck enough to know a surplus shop that often has unissued real ones, with liners for around $50-60. I wear a large, I’m 5’ 10”, around 200 lbs, and have no problem finding my size.

B

Sonero

Practically Family
I went with Alpha medium because I wanted black and could not find anything comparable besides ROTHCO in black. All the Rothco stuff I have purchased has been crap. At least I like the Alpha yellow logo tag.

This is for fashion, not the outdoors. I hope this jacket does me justice.

Thanks for the advice.

Sonero

Practically Family
I received my Alpha Ind (current) and Cockpit USA M65 today.

Hands down the Cockpit version is better quality build and fabric. The Alpha feels like a pair of twill work pants . Snaps on Alpha are noticeably concerning as far as durability.

Size - Cockpit Large fits like a Alpha medium. Alpha medium fits like a normal size large . Both fit me well.

* I WILL NOT invest in the Alpha liner to go with my coat....WHY ? At $225 for a coat that warrants maybe $80 I am in too deep as it is. I also don't feel secure enough with the durability of the garment to consider investing more. * HOWEVER I have decided to keep it ONLY because it comes in black and looks good on me. FADING would also be a concern with the Alpha garment. I also do not plan on utilizing the snaps if possible.

Canadian M65 and Used Vietnam Era M65 on the way.

By the way the cockpit version is a beautiful OG-107 green that looks more like a rich hunter olive. Will look great dressed up.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
I purchased one of these on Ebay.

Canadian Army with liner. Reminds me of the Ralph Lauren copies. Super excited to get this.
The liner for this will be far too heavy for Mexico. The shell is basically a very heavy cotton.

Also, they have nothing to do with M65 coats and are descended from British stuff, although I suppose one could argue that virtually all post-war Western field jackets were inspired by the US M43 jacket, of which the M65 is a descendent, so they're all related. I'd still consider the UK and Canadian jackets a different stream, though, and descended more from the British Denison smock sort of thing.

But who cares? As long as you are happy with the stuff you've got, that's all that matters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112