Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha jackets - Frankfurt, Germany

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Found a store near my hotel here in Frankfurt called NATO Supplies. It has nearly every jacket made by Alpha, except the B-15. Tried on the MA-1's, the CWU 45/P's, the B-3's, N-3B's, both in satin and leather.

These jackets did not state country of origin, but they did NOT say made in Knoxville, TN.

The weight of the satin material was quite heavy and seemed to be of a high quality. Overall, I was impressed with the quality of Alpha. Next to it were some MA-1's by "Mil-Spec". A much lessor quality jacket selling for 49 Euros. The Alpha coats were around 100 Euros, and the CWU's were about 135 Euros.

Thought about buying one of these, but realized they can be had much cheaper back in the USA.

If these were made in China, I am impressed! Plus, the MA-1 was so much warmer than any of my leather jackets, even my G&B A-2 and Wings G-1. An Alpha jacket should get you through all but the harshest winter weather.

This jacket is now on my shopping list as soon as I get back to Texas.

andyfalzon

Vendor
Look inside the pockets, it should be written on a tag there. It's usually not written on the main label.
If there is no tag anywhere then they must be made in USA. Check the zippers and the snaps. If they are Scovill or other US maker then most probably they were made in USA. If the zippers read "Alpha" then the jackets are Chinese made.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Look inside the pockets, it should be written on a tag there. It's usually not written on the main label.
If there is no tag anywhere then they must be made in USA. Check the zippers and the snaps. If they are Scovill or other US maker then most probably they were made in USA. If the zippers read "Alpha" then the jackets are Chinese made.

Did not notice any marking on the zipper. The weight and quality of the cuffs and knitted waistband was nearly as good as found on G&B.

Did not notice the button detail, or the pockets for any telltale info...was having too much fun trying all of them on!

The CWU jackets had dual labels, one in the collar, and one inside the right side of the coat. They only said the usual, not made in Knoxville like every other USA made Alpha I have seen. This makes me think they are Chinese. The jackets all are in perfect mint new condition. Only three colors, navy blue, black, and sage green.

These were perfect fits in size L.

Two of the CWU 45/P's had special embroidery on the backside...Alpha Flight Jackets USA. This covered the entire back, much like the nose-art painting that you see on some vintage A-2's. These were higher priced at 149 Euros.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
When you say the nylon is thick - you mean compared to other DuPont flight satin products or a mall jacket? Alphas, even the crap ones, are better than most mall or even high end department store product. And yes, they are warmer than leather. Leather doesn't provide much warmth no matter how thick. You need to layer to get the insulation in leather. The only issue with nylon jackets for me is that they look shabby when they get worn. Leather just looks better.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
When you say the nylon is thick - you mean compared to other DuPont flight satin products or a mall jacket? Alphas, even the crap ones, are better than most mall or even high end department store product. And yes, they are warmer than leather. Leather doesn't provide much warmth no matter how thick. You need to layer to get the insulation in leather. The only issue with nylon jackets for me is that they look shabby when they get worn. Leather just looks better.

The thickness of the satin seemed heavy and very durable, compared to most any lightweight jacket. I just ordered an MA-1, and a B-15, both USA made at a very reasonable price. The decision to purchase was based on my fitting in Frankfurt...again, these jackets are WARM!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is one of the jackets on the rack at the NATO store: 159 Euros.

Alpha CWU 45P Flight Jacket Logo.jpg

Meerkat

Familiar Face
The thickness of the satin seemed heavy and very durable, compared to most any lightweight jacket. I just ordered an MA-1, and a B-15, both USA made at a very reasonable price. The decision to purchase was based on my fitting in Frankfurt...again, these jackets are WARM!

needless to point out that Schott USA and Schott Europe are two different manufacturers?

Edward

Bartender
Heh. I think with that particular jacket they're trying to compete with latter-day Avirex moreso than Buzz Rikcson. ;)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Alpha revisited..size DOES matter!

Enjoying some great German beer and brats here in Frankfurt! Went to the NATO Store to try on (again) some Alpha jackets.

The MA-1 in a size (M) was larger than my Knoxville made B-15, which is a size (L). The large MA-1 was VERY generous in size!

These Alpha jackets have no hint as to country of origin. All tags were checked, even in the pockets. Nothing...just the address of Knoxville. Did not say made in Knoxville, however. Did not say made in China either.

The quality of these jackets was nothing short of superb. Heavy satin outer, with thick insulation to make the jacket super warm. Stitching was all first rate. These Alphas are equal to the quality of Gibson & Barnes.

Cost...for an MA-1? 150 Euros...about $202 US dollars. Plus tax, OUCH!

But, size does not matter, at least that is what I have been telling my wife all these years!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Did you buy one? Most of us have learned over the years that if the opportunity is there, don't hesitate, since you will regret it later if you do.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Did you buy one? Most of us have learned over the years that if the opportunity is there, don't hesitate, since you will regret it later if you do.

No, as $202 seems a bit high. I would rather put that money into a G&B leather jacket...but the Alpha MA-1 and CWU 45/P are extremely nice. Just wonder where they are made? Perhaps these are Chinese in origin and a similar one can be bought for less than $100 in the USA.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Enjoying some great German beer and brats here in Frankfurt!

Sorry not MA-1 related in the slightest but had the best currywurst ever in Frankfurt back in late 2012 when I was last there. Small place on a street running off from Schloßstraße opposite the train station.

Jackets, sausages and beer, can't go wrong really can you? ;)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
No, as $202 seems a bit high. I would rather put that money into a G&B leather jacket...but the Alpha MA-1 and CWU 45/P are extremely nice. Just wonder where they are made? Perhaps these are Chinese in origin and a similar one can be bought for less than $100 in the USA.
I guess that means to you fit and quality take second place to price and country of origin? I think you just missed out on buying a good quality MA-1 jacket that fitted you well. That's not easy to find, as you will soon discover when you try to find one for a lower price. In fact, you've already found that out, haven't you?

CWU jackets should be nomex and the Alpha one is $600. Leather jackets are almost as expensive and sizing generally bears no relationship to reality.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
You're bouncing around here dude, and you need to get your mind focused. What do you actually want in terms of a flight jacket?

Well...good question! The A-2, G-1 and B-15 in my closet are all very nice. Had an MA-1 in the past, so thought it would be nice to have another one, especially a warm one like these. I would buy one here on the spot, but not for $202. They can be bought for less than half that back home. But, these are of such great quality...actually shocking, to be honest. Other jackets in the store were from Mil-Tec, MA-1's, but not near the quality of the Alpha. And the price was 49 Euro ($66). And listed as being a local Deutschland company.

With focus in mind, my next jacket will be for my Dad. Then perhaps I will get a G-1 (black) from G&B.

Working up a thirst...time for beer run and a brat search!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
One more thing...with my "military style" haircut, these MA-1's make me look like the stereotypical skinhead. Not so cool, if you know what I mean.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Alpha jackets in Europe are most likely a license product of a German company which are assembled to high specs in China. Usually the fit and manufacturing quality is better than on (current) American made Alphas.
Same story with Schott...only difference is that the licensee is a manufacturer from Italy who sucessfully introduced Schott to the European market a couple of years ago.

BTW: I am VERY sure that you won't be able to get the very same Alpha jacket back home. It will be part of the arrangement that Alpha Europe products won't be available in the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112