Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright... Alright! What's Covid-19 making you binge watch????

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Ah so you've learned the formula. May fave is the dumpy, lumpy American loser who decides he deserves a hot woman despite his physical and financial shortcomings. He's then shocked... shocked I say to find out she's only here because she thought he had money. Or the overweight, chain smoking hag that goes to Nigeria to pick up a visa desperate "boy toy" that she spends months berating and humiliating on camera. God I hate this show....

Worf

One of my favourite lines in Bridget Jonses' Diary is a throw away bit from her mum. The mum is discussing the Shopping Channel show she is on.

She says it is "the highest rated show on cable. Well, except for the one about the family of fat people who beat each other up".

WanderingWriter

New in Town
Some kind soul has uploaded all of 'Jeeves and Wooster' starring Fry & Laurie to YouTube which has kept me going for the last few weeks. Handy as the DVD box set is quite extortionate when it can be found

Prime series...."Bosch"....an LA detective. Very good writing and performance. I like the character a lot. 7 seasons of 10 episodes each so we have lots of watching

txborn668

New in Town
I'm watching Poirot and Miss Marple again. While different eras they are beautifully filmed and the costumes are great. I love the times gone by when people were actually dressed for each occasion. Whether it is for traveling, daywear, business, evening and cocktails. There was always a uniform, if you will, or a standard everyone adhered to for each occasion. Men and Ladies all had specific clothes for doing a variety of things.

Edward

Bartender
I'm watching Poirot and Miss Marple again. While different eras they are beautifully filmed and the costumes are great. I love the times gone by when people were actually dressed for each occasion. Whether it is for traveling, daywear, business, evening and cocktails. There was always a uniform, if you will, or a standard everyone adhered to for each occasion. Men and Ladies all had specific clothes for doing a variety of things.

They did if they were members of a specific social class. "Ordinary" people not so much. The periods in which Christies' stories are mostly set, especially pre-1948, were incredibly hard for a large proportion of the UK population. 1948 is celebrated by many as the year the Attlee government created the NHS and much else, but what is less widely remembered is that it was only in 1948 when the workhouses were finally abolished in Britain. 'Dressing for dinner' was very much an upper-class tradition (and deliberately exclusionary), not one that the middle, working and under classes could do anything other than aspire to. It's obvious why it retains such powerful nostalgia, of course, despite only reflecting the experience of a small part of the population. Nobody wants to be poor.

For some reason, over the last couple of month, Westerns on MeTV. I telework and usually get going pretty early. Around mid-afternoon, I've been finishing my workday in front of the tube with the dog, watching Bonanza, The Rifleman, and Wagon Train. My wife is even starting to like The Rifleman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21