Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alright Pipe Smokers. It's the question that has destroyed countless friendships.

Giftmacher

One Too Many
I prefer matches and from 80's and older in particular, it was made from a better
wood than current production from India. Luckily I have a stock of it.

I prefer matches and from 80's and older in particular, it was made from a better
wood than current production from India. Luckily I have a stock of it.

a540_medium.jpg

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I'm sure the pipe snobs will have a thing or three to say about this, but does it really matter if you use matches or a lighter? I've smoked a pipe off and on for 15+ years and never noticed a difference. In all those years, the only time I've ever had a problem was when I bought some super cheap, slightly sketchy "off-brand" fluid for my Zippo; that stuff gave everything -- pipes, cigars, even cigarettes -- a nasty gasoline taste. But it went away after a puff or two.

I'm sure the pipe snobs will have a thing or three to say about this, but does it really matter if you use matches or a lighter? I've smoked a pipe off and on for 15+ years and never noticed a difference. In all those years, the only time I've ever had a problem was when I bought some super cheap, slightly sketchy "off-brand" fluid for my Zippo; that stuff gave everything -- pipes, cigars, even cigarettes -- a nasty gasoline taste. But it went away after a puff or two.

With a flame lighter, other than the potential for the off flavor, there's not much difference in matches and a lighter. Now a torch lighter, on the other hand...

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
I used matches for years, paper or wood, what's the difference? When the Bic lighters came out I found them good until they got lost or ran dry so usually had a few books of matches around.

Zippos are for unfiltered Camels. I have a few but only used them on cigarettes.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
When I wish to smoke my pipe I will use what ever flame source is available. At home I use wooden matches for the initial char (too many wooden matches can fill up an ash tray very quickly) and a Zippo with a pipe insert for any other needed lightings. In my car, I keep a Bic handy. I always carry a Zippo when I am out and about. I have been known to use twigs from a campfire to light my pipe. As long as there is a flame that can be used, then it will be used. I really don't care how the tobacco is lit, just as long as I can enjoy the smoke.

greatestescaper

One of the Regulars
I myself prefer matches. While I have always desired myself a proper Zippo, and more so once I found they had the pipe lighting insert, I find the smell of a Zippo burning very unpleasant. Especially while lighting my pipe. I figure that the ritualistic nature of pipe smoking requires the patience to use matches.

Rodney

Familiar Face
It used to be matches. New matches are safe to the point of being fireproof. I swore never to waste my time and money on them again after the last box I bought. Now I just use a Bic and am thinking about getting a proper vintage pipe lighter.
Why are torch lighters bad? Because it's too easy to scorch your pipe with them.
Rodney

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ