Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alterations of Aero jackets, aftermarket

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
I've been looking for weeks for a used Aero jacket - due to my body dimensions, finding one my size has been a challenge.

I wanted a more tapered design like the Sheene or Bootlegger, but the most common one I've seen by far is the Highwayman. They're cool, but not ideal for what I was after - they seem kind of boxy and I have a fairly v-shaped torso.

I'd wondered if anyone had attempted to have a tailor/leatherworker take in a HWM to have a Sheene/Café Racer type taper? Is that reasonable/possible with horsehide leathers?

I've been looking for weeks for a used Aero jacket - due to my body dimensions, finding one my size has been a challenge.

I wanted a more tapered design like the Sheene or Bootlegger, but the most common one I've seen by far is the Highwayman. They're cool, but not ideal for what I was after - they seem kind of boxy and I have a fairly v-shaped torso.

I'd wondered if anyone had attempted to have a tailor/leatherworker take in a HWM to have a Sheene/Café Racer type taper? Is that reasonable/possible with horsehide leathers?
It’s possible. Will the end result be what you want? Probably not. Better to find what you actually want from the get go. From my experience the HWM, while classic and cool in its own right, is a poor choice if your looking for something more fitted in the body. You’ll end up chopping the thing to bits chasing a pattern it was never meant to be. I considered it myself. Glad I didn’t follow through.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I think sheene,CR and Bootlegger pop up in classified very frequently. It will cost a lot if you try to modify the thick leather jacket.

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
It’s possible. Will the end result be what you want? Probably not. Better to find what you actually want from the get go. From my experience the HWM, while classic and cool in its own right, is a poor choice if your looking for something more fitted in the body. You’ll end up chopping the thing to bits chasing a pattern it was never meant to be. I considered it myself. Glad I didn’t follow through.

Yeah, I'd wondered. It's just that when I see used jackets these are all over.

Even so, I haven't seen a used one yet in my size. And I'm looking used of course for cost.

I'm leaning more to a Sheene or Bootlegger anyway, but with so many HWM out there I'd wondered if I got it altered would it essentially become a Sheene.

Even so, I haven't seen a used one yet in my size. And I'm looking used of course for cost.

I'm leaning more to a Sheene or Bootlegger anyway, but with so many HWM out there I'd wondered if I got it altered would it essentially become a Sheene.

It won’t. I understand what you want to do. Trust me. But it won’t.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Could it be done, yes. Should it be done, probably not...
My tailor is capable of working with heavy leather and I have had him do some alterations for me over the years, basically the same kind of tapering that you are talking about. It is not cheap though, you might be looking at a few hundred dollars in tailoring work. Also, there will inevitably be some compromise in how the panels are taken in, pocket placement may shift, etc. in other words it will never be as clean as it would have if the jacket were built to your measurements in the beginning.
I agree with the other guys that you should keep an eye out for a jacket that has numbers more suited to your build. Either that or think about buying a new one through Aero or Thurston Brothers. The price will not be that much more expensive than it would’ve been had you bought a used one and then paid to have it tailored to fit you.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Whatever you save by buying used will be spent on alterations, and in the end you'll have a jacket that you can't re-sell if it doesn't work out as well as you hoped, which it all but certainly won't. You'll be best serviced if you order custom direct from Aero or through Thurston Bros. and do a lot of consulting on the fit and style you're going for, and your measurements.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
So what’s so weird with your body dimensions?
Knowing your measurements would help a lot in folks here pointing you in the right direction.
Heck, you might even find someone here has just what you need.
That’s what this place is like, you never know if you don’t ask.
Just a thought.
B

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
Well, it's because I lift weights. I'm 6'1", 215-220, 46 inch chest, 33" waist. So most shirts I'm a XXL up top but the belly is like a blousy cinched Hefty bag above my belt. Unless I get alterations.

King B

A-List Customer
Well, it's because I lift weights. I'm 6'1", 215-220, 46 inch chest, 33" waist. So most shirts I'm a XXL up top but the belly is like a blousy cinched Hefty bag above my belt. Unless I get alterations.

Does it have to be an Aero?

I have a Simmons Bilt, a Lewis Leathers Donnington (brand new) and Vanson Model 'B' that should fit you nicely.

Are you able to provide some measurements of a jacket that you know fits you nicely please?

powersci

One of the Regulars
I had a leather jacket that needed to be tailored after I lost weight. I took it back to the manufacturer and they said their in house tailor could make the modifications. When I picked up the jacket, the new fit was off because all they did was take it in along the back seam. This made the jacket ride up in the back, rather than have a flat hem.

I took it to an expert leather tailor and he was able to somewhat undo what the manufacture had done, by taking it in correctly and leveling off the previous mistake. After that, I never wore the jacket. The money I spent having it tailored could have just gone to a new (or used) jacket.

So, to echo a bit of what other people recommended: might be better just to get a jacket that fits from the get go.

Wardo1974

A-List Customer
Does it have to be an Aero?

I have a Simmons Bilt, a Lewis Leathers Donnington (brand new) and Vanson Model 'B' that should fit you nicely.

Are you able to provide some measurements of a jacket that you know fits you nicely please?

The truth is I don't have a jacket that really fits me well. From my asking around here, if I were to get a Sheene for instance, it would be a 46 with 26" sleeves, 20-21" shoulders, 24-24.5 P2P. I'm open to considering anything but do admire the Aeros.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The truth is I don't have a jacket that really fits me well. From my asking around here, if I were to get a Sheene for instance, it would be a 46 with 26" sleeves, 20-21" shoulders, 24-24.5 P2P. I'm open to considering anything but do admire the Aeros.
Wardo,
If you have a 46” chest I think you should be looking for a jacket with no less than a 24.5 p2p and probably even a bit larger. A leather jacket that is only 2” larger than your chest measurement will not be comfortable to wear nor to move around in.

King B

A-List Customer

Do you like either of the 2 jackets that I sent the links for yesterday?

I'll send you photos of the Model B also.

I shall provide measurements when I get home tonight, if you are interested.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a chest of 41 cm measured and I wear 23.5 inches, a 42. So you will need a 46, I think. But unusual body shapes like body builder's are hard to fit as they are unorthodox.

I would imagine a Highwayman would work best but if you want to show off a V shape you are best consulting with Aero directly and ask them how it might be done. Having a drop of 13 inches will require some tailoring expertise. The Sheene is a slim fit jacket and it is unusual for the measurements to be pushed out in the way you will need. But perhaps not impossible.

Edward

Bartender
Few jackets will have such a drop, though Aero's motorcycle jackets might be for you (I think as standard some of them - from memory - have around a 10" drop).

It's *always* a bad idea to buy a jacket that is totally 'wrong' for what you want and try to make it into what you want - just find a style you prefer from the off and look for that. Keep squirrelling money away while you look, and by a certain point if one that fits the bill hasn't come up used, you'll be able to afford it new.

The HWM is designed to be a boxy jacket as standard. The Original 59er Highwayman slightly less so, based as it is on the original Rivetts of London jacket (which predates the Lewis Dominator and Corsair by at least three years, but is essentially the same shape / fit / design). The Premier Fit Highwayman will be a touch slimmer again. Otherwise, the Sheene (basically a cafe racer with a shirt collar) will be about the closest you'll see to a slim-fitting Highywayman if you want a plainer design than a halfbelt.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Apart from the waist taper you probably need more slope from neck to shoulder than average joes, otherwise youll end up with diagonal crease from the top of your neck toward the armpit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk