Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I the only member who doesn't wear a hat?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
It is funny how the military has embraced the Beret! I remember when only Commies wore them! Or so we were told.:rolleyes:

DNO

One Too Many
The Gurkkha knife is also distinctive. I once asked a Geewhiz about his knife and as he drew it from its sheath, he cut his finger before handing me the blade.
Apparently, their knife must taste blood whenever drawn. During the Falklands campaign Gs were on beach landing point against the Argentine defense.
Those guys are first rate soldiers.

I visited the Ghurka base near Aldershot in England about 30 years ago, or so...wanted to see their museum. Tough looking fellows to be sure, though quite pleasant if you can find one that speaks english! I was surprised to see a few of them on fatigue duty. They were cleaning out weeds between paving stones...with their kukris.

It is funny how the military has embraced the Beret! I remember when only Commies wore them! Or so we were told.:rolleyes:

The US military's use of berets comes directly from their use by the British military in WWII. The British originally used them as a practical matter for use in tanks, where head room was limited. I don't recall it ever being deemed a "commie" look.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The US military's use of berets comes directly from their use by the British military in WWII. The British originally used them as a practical matter for use in tanks, where head room was limited. I don't recall it ever being deemed a "commie" look.
fidel_zpsmdxrfaaa.jpg
6000-Che-Guevara-military-beret-hat_zpsfkt6rvav.jpg
anglo-american-lincoln-brigade-spanish-spain-civil-war_zps2rxebuyx.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
It's just a case of each to their own. There's no heresy in not wearing a hat, good grief, how boring would we be if we slavishly followed some sort of 'uniform?'
I'm a tentative hat-wearer, nearly always wearing one for practical rather than stylistic purposes:
(a) against cold or wet - with an overcoat or raincoat - if you need a coat you're likely to need a hat; stylistically speaking, a hat (and generally gloves as well) can complete the "look".
Some raincoats and overcoats will "take" a cap, but to me a formal overcoat and a true double-breasted trench-coat call for a trilby/fedora.
(b) against sun - a Panama or other straw hat.
My only other use of headgear is that I like to wear a flat cap with a tweed jacket.

Hal

Practically Family
...When you consider the practical use of it, it is the head in outdoor weather, what a helmet is on the motorcycle. It has a function: it keeps the rain or the sun off from giving you one of those weirdo facial tans with whites behind where the sunglasses sit...When they suit; hats have a functional down to earth appeal. They are not some kind of poncy Pete Doherty throw on for image on stage, which only makes the hair more greasy and sweaty.
Well said - the practical use of hats is surely their primary purpose. Good style is a bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass