Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

amazon.com question (Sun Valley Serenade DVD, 1941)

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Amazon.com question for folks that frequent there:

There's a product page they have for a DVD release of Sun Valley Serenade (1941), featuring Glenn Miller and his orch, but I suspect this is a "non-existant product", and perhaps there are no plans for it to be made available in the near future:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...TF8&coliid=I30NHTXBHBZO8R&colid=2PH9Q1NKT15E8

Anyone else familiar with Amazon care to speculate if this is a legitimate product? (I signed up for email notification just in case, but wonder if I should just try & get one of the few VHS copies in circulation)

- C H

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I signed up last year to be notified when a few different movies became available on DVD. It worked, they let me know and offered to let me pre-order if I wished.
(My branch library has this VHS. I have seen it but don't remember a thing about it?!! I'll have to borrow it next time I'm at work.)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Sounds like it's something that may have been in limited release once or perhaps was scheduled for release but hasn't ever actually been released. I don't think Amazon lists nonexistent products.

I did find this site that appears to have this DVD in stock, but I know nothing about the vendor nor can I vouch for them in any way.

Good luck in your search.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazon often posts entries like this - films that haven't been released on DVD and aren't scheduled for release anytime in the near future just so they've got a built-in market for the product if and when it ever should be released. I've been on the list for the release of one book which they advertise as "Available soon!" for well over three if not four years.

As for the second site - I would suspect they're dealing in DVDs illegally dubbed from VHS tapes. It's a film that's not being released to DVD. There are several sites that have come and gone that do the same, or do most of their business via Ebay...until one of the studios' attorneys and/or the FBI catches up with them.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
As for the second site - I would suspect they're dealing in DVDs illegally dubbed from VHS tapes. It's a film that's not being released to DVD. There are several sites that have come and gone that do the same, or do most of their business via Ebay...until one of the studios' attorneys and/or the FBI catches up with them.

These are definitely dubbed versions. Judging from the covers, it is a custom DVD, and no retail DVD is Region free!

If I got the VHS version, I could do the same for you at no cost at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR