Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Classics and Real McCoy in London

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^^^ "Stop smiling and get back to work!!!!"

crack-the-whip-def.JPG

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Tried on the A-1 again today. Thought about turning to crime. The leather really is beautiful stuff. They have a russet A-2 with olive knits that's also a jewel.

I got the impression some serious leather heads had been trooping through that shop.

SJ

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The guy said that the A-1 on their website was £100 more than the £1,495 shop price, and would have to change that. I'm still not sure that's a bargain, but there you go :D. I mean, for comparison, ELC and GW do tan capeskin ones for £649 and £830 respectively, and Aero could give you one in seal/tan HH or goat for £535. I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them. [huh]

zhz

Practically Family
The guy said that the A-1 on their website was £100 more than the £1,495 shop price, and would have to change that. I'm still not sure that's a bargain, but there you go :D. I mean, for comparison, ELC and GW do tan capeskin ones for £649 and £830 respectively, and Aero could give you one in seal/tan HH or goat for £535. I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them. [huh]

I really don't think I would go for any RM staff...especially their A1/A2...we have some many choices in same quality.

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
It's a nice combo, but did any of the original contracts use green knits?

Apparently so (or at least according to the since departed Jan Solo). I had Aero make me up a sort of bastardised M422A with olive kits (top jacket: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?62635-In-pictures-modified-Aero-M422a-30s-HB-Stockman), one of the many jackets I have let go –*don't really know why I did now.

Not sure if the Aero A-1 in particular would be of the same quality as the RMC, although as I say you could get one made up with olive knits and using the Italian HH – which might be quite close to the RMC (and not too far off the price, if you bought it in Japan). I'd kinda like to expand my collection with another maker jacket, though. I've heard the odd negative comment about the ELC cape, although of course the originals were all cape.

SJ

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
a couple of leather beauties by Bill Kelso

I've just been in there and seen these jackets close up - great cut, perfect-looking stitching and beautiful leather, lovingly put together. If I had £895, I would've dropped it in 1 second flat and left wearing one.

Edward

Bartender
Apparently so (or at least according to the since departed Jan Solo).

Andrew Watland had one in his collection a few years ago; there was a thread on here abouyt it a few years ago. some of us speculated it might have been a field repair on a jacket which was still in service but needed new knits after production had switched from the A2 to the B10 and subsequently the B15 in 43, though I seem to recall there was some debate as to whethrer the knits had been repalced or if they were in fact original to the jacket. Outside of one worn in the original Inglorious Bastards film (from which Tarrantino took the name; it's basically a B-movie rip off of The Dirty Dozen, though fun), which may or may not have been original, Andrew's jacketg was the only non-repro A2 I've ever seen with green knits. Who knows, though? There were so many jackets churned out during the war years with so much pressure on production, there could well have been a few like this (c/f the rare B15Cs that Buzz repro from the very fiurst run of the designation, some of which were olive and some of which had the navy nylon but olive knits. To the best of my knowledge those are based on legit originals). Could be one of those things one day somebody will stumble over an answer to, like Gary Eastman's cow revelations re the A2.

Not sure if the Aero A-1 in particular would be of the same quality as the RMC, although as I say you could get one made up with olive knits and using the Italian HH – which might be quite close to the RMC (and not too far off the price, if you bought it in Japan). I'd kinda like to expand my collection with another maker jacket, though. I've heard the odd negative comment about the ELC cape, although of course the originals were all cape.

Cape seems to be a polarising hide... For me, it's like lamb: a bit too flimsy. I'd be too wary of tearing it by leaning on a wall. Others enjoy it, though - epescially as a Summer weight leather. I think if I was going for an A1 type, I'd probably compromise and opt for goat. There was a time when Aero's A1 pattern was considered a bit off. not a jacket I know a lot about, so I couldn't comment directly on that, though. Also possible Ken has revised it a bit since he came back to working more directly with the factory - I know he's redrafted quite a few of the A2 patterns.

devilish

A-List Customer
Not to send this thread off track any further but two points about the A-1 and cape skin. Firstly, so few people have ever seen an original. They were also it seems, from the few images I've seen, even more variable than A-2's so an 'accurate' repro would be virtually impossible. It was also such a common civilian style at that time that you would be hard pushed to really know from a picture if a particular jacket were military or private purchase.
As for cape skin. The GW A-1 I have that is made from pre-washed cape is holding up admirably. I don't really baby any of my jackets and the hide doesn't seem that fragile. Granted, it ain't armor thick, like FQHH can be but it's not mall weight lamb skin either. Also I actually find it warmer than my HH A-2. This came as a surprise to me but it's true. It could be because I wear it with the knit collar up and this insulates my body or that the lining is slightly thicker than the A-2 version? I think it's a combination of these things and that because the leather conforms to ones body better it keeps the heat in.

StichInTime

New in Town
Very nice indeed. My friend has been eyeing the Oklahoma for a while. Well, that's one of his objectives when we go to Tokyo for our shopping trip in Jan. I however prefer my Rainbow Country single rider. The only RM leather jacket that I own is the M-422A that is no longer in production.

Great item.

Is this type of jacket known as a single rider? I have been looking on Yahoo JP Auctions and Rakuten for something like this (seems to be a lot cheaper buying USA made leather there than on eBay) but annoyingly nothing in my size is coming up and the model name is often changed. Can anyone list other brands I can search for adding to the following? I'm aware of Aero, Bill Kelso and Alexander but would prefer a JP or US brand.

Lost Worlds
Buco
Real McCoys (too expensive but I can dream...)
Freewheelers (very expensive)
Vanson (come in pretty cheap)
Rainbow Country
Softmachine

Thanks

S.I.T

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've just been in there and seen these jackets close up - great cut, perfect-looking stitching and beautiful leather, lovingly put together. If I had £895, I would've dropped it in 1 second flat and left wearing one.
For what it's worth, Eastman's of Devon do a truly immaculate repro of an A-1 Seal Brown Capeskin for just a penny short of six-fifty. And for a few shekels more, you can add whatever military insignia takes your fancy.

Blackadder

Great item.

Is this type of jacket known as a single rider? I have been looking on Yahoo JP Auctions and Rakuten for something like this (seems to be a lot cheaper buying USA made leather there than on eBay) but annoyingly nothing in my size is coming up and the model name is often changed. Can anyone list other brands I can search for adding to the following? I'm aware of Aero, Bill Kelso and Alexander but would prefer a JP or US brand.

Lost Worlds
Buco
Real McCoys (too expensive but I can dream...)
Freewheelers (very expensive)
Vanson (come in pretty cheap)
Rainbow Country
Softmachine

Thanks

S.I.T

That is the model name used by Rainbow Country. Items made by the Japanese brands often has a model number as well. You can try searching the model number. For example the Freewheelers Muholland is 1131008 and 1331008. The Joe McCoy Deerskin Oklahoma is MJ14012.
Westride
Indian Motorcycle (Toyo Enterprise)
The Few
Schott
Aero Leather
Eastman Leather

devilish

A-List Customer
S.I.T. It's also going to depend very much on what size you are. Most Japanese market jackets are going to be no bigger than a slim 42". With the majority being 36"-40".

Superfluous

SIT,

I too have been searching for a similar "single rider" style jacket in black. I would give my left testicle for a RMC Foreman or Wayward, but both are sold out. Here are a few other options:

Goodwear Imperial and Ventura

Bill Kelso Westfall

RMC Steinbeck

ELMC Californian

Rainbow Country Single Rider

Aero (several models are similar)

Freewheelers Caboose

Lost Worlds Suborban

Toys McCoys Iron Anvil

Tenjin Single

Edward

Bartender
Not to send this thread off track any further but two points about the A-1 and cape skin. Firstly, so few people have ever seen an original. They were also it seems, from the few images I've seen, even more variable than A-2's so an 'accurate' repro would be virtually impossible. It was also such a common civilian style at that time that you would be hard pushed to really know from a picture if a particular jacket were military or private purchase.

Good point! So as long as it more or less conforms to the A1 specs, an individual A1 repro might be said to be as accurate as the buyer believes it to be (pocket height be damned!)?

As for cape skin. The GW A-1 I have that is made from pre-washed cape is holding up admirably. I don't really baby any of my jackets and the hide doesn't seem that fragile. Granted, it ain't armor thick, like FQHH can be but it's not mall weight lamb skin either. Also I actually find it warmer than my HH A-2. This came as a surprise to me but it's true. It could be because I wear it with the knit collar up and this insulates my body or that the lining is slightly thicker than the A-2 version? I think it's a combination of these things and that because the leather conforms to ones body better it keeps the heat in.

Could be. I do think small vsriations can make a big difference. Comparing an A2 and an AN6552 repro, both from Aero, both in the same seal goat hide, my experiecne was that the former feltg significantly warmer, which I put down to a mix of the mouton collar, rayon lining (as compared to the breathable silk in the A2), and overall a much neater fit.

StichInTime

New in Town
S.I.T. It's also going to depend very much on what size you are. Most Japanese market jackets are going to be no bigger than a slim 42". With the majority being 36"-40".

I wear a 16" collar in Buzz Ricksons shirts and a Large / 40 in Sugar Cane shirting / outerwear.

So should be fine for the JP cuts, much better than the more traditional US or UK cut for myself.

StichInTime

New in Town
SIT,

I too have been searching for a similar "single rider" style jacket in black. I would give my left testicle for a RMC Foreman or Wayward, but both are sold out. Here are a few other options:

Goodwear Imperial and Ventura

Bill Kelso Westfall

RMC Steinbeck

ELMC Californian

Rainbow Country Single Rider

Aero (several models are similar)

Freewheelers Caboose

Lost Worlds Suborban

Toys McCoys Iron Anvil

Tenjin Single

Thanks for these, Tenjin and Toys McCoys Iron Anvil are new to me.

The search goes on! Any others anyone else can recommend please let me know.

I saw an OK looking jacket by 'Ben Davis' but the quality looks less than the above, but this is reflected in the price.

This Sugar Cane can also be added to the list, looks prefect.

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/arknets/10027641/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats