Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

America's Best Pizza Joints - Article from GQ

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I'm not being as much a connoisseur of pizza as I am of bar-b-que, I almost hesitate to voice an opinion. Still, the best pizza I ever tasted was at (the original) De Marinis in Bay View, Wisconsin.

Here I am at De Marinis' bar. I had been there pounding Spotted Cows and Leinenkugels for some time when the photo was taken. I've always thought it darned ironic that everything else in the photo is out of focus.

wisconsin014-1.jpg

AF

Silver Dollar

Practically Family
Der ain't nuttin' betta than a good ol New Yawk pizza made in da Italian neighborhoods. They definitely can be classified as mom and pop stores. In my own New York neighborhood, the pizzas had to be good or else. You see, the pizzerias in my neighborhood had to cater to a --well, let's just say a very special group of people. :whistling

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Silver Dollar said:
Der ain't nuttin' betta than a good ol New Yawk pizza made in da Italian neighborhoods. They definitely can be classified as mom and pop stores. In my own New York neighborhood, the pizzas had to be good or else. You see, the pizzerias in my neighborhood had to cater to a --well, let's just say a very special group of people. :whistling

Hi Silver, If you're going to get the good local stuff, you have to go to a locally owned bar or diner. In Illinois, a lot of bars serve pizza. I've been going to Gabatoni's in Springfield IL since I was about 5 years old. They haven't redecorated. They've been in business for nearly 60 years. Thin crust, greasy pizza with any 4 toppings you want.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/GABATONIS-RESTAURANT-in-Springfield-Illinois-m494160.aspx

Another local favorite is Angelo's in Taylorville IL. This is a restaurant, not a bar and is in it's 4th or 5th building. Locally owned and very good, basic thin crust pizza. When I was an 8th grader, my parents, and the neighbor's parents would take us to Angelo's for Dinner and then go to their public pool. We order 3 large pizza for 6 of us. I ate one, Carl ate one, and our parents split the other one. No, we didn't wait that hour before swimming either.

http://www.angelos-pizza.net/

My college favorite was Papa Del's in Champaign IL. They served a thick crust pizza, not stuffed, just thick. They were so popular that when we ordered for the 1981 Super Bowl, the wait was 4 hours.

My one snooty place on the list is Il Vicino Wood Oven Pizza. We have two in Wichita KS and they're good. Also thin crust.

IN SUMMARY, anybody heard of these places? Didn't think so. Springfield has a Papa Murphy's, and probably twelve Pizza Huts (and they started in Wichita where I live), but nobody cares.

Later Y'all

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff