Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Out of the Humidor: The sad demise of pipe smoking

JerseyJones

Vendor
I have loved many a MacBaren bowl, but my favorites are the Solani line. They are unlike any others I have smoked and taste as they smell. My favorites are the Blue and the X.

JJ

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
A glimer of hope.

I was at a friend's house for a late summer barbecue this weekend when a young chap (20yrs or so) came up to me and said that he had heard I smoke a pipe. I answered in the affirmative at which point he continued to ask me about tips about how to keep it alight, he even went on to name is favourite pipe-smoker as Tolkein.

Maybe hope lives on...

Ethan Bentley said:
I was at a friend's house for a late summer barbecue this weekend when a young chap (20yrs or so) came up to me and said that he had heard I smoke a pipe. I answered in the affirmative at which point he continued to ask me about tips about how to keep it alight, he even went on to name is favourite pipe-smoker as Tolkein.

Maybe hope lives on...

Maybe indeed. It helps to have a few of us around who can tell people how it is done correctly. ;) :D

warbird

One Too Many
RedPop4 said:
It's not dead yet.

For me it is almost perfect cigar smoking weather. I like smoking outside in the cool fall air. dont like to smoke in the heat of the summer. But winter is time for pipes. In my office while working or writing.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I smoke a pipe although not everyday. Amphora Full Aroma is my standard smoke, but I also like Three Nuns, MacBaren's Vanilla (occasionally for a change) and Dunhill Royal Yacht.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
The tobacconist in town has a jar of Pirates blend, he says it was started because the pirates loot of tobacco rum and vanilla would some times become all mixed togather in rough seas (true or not its a good story) the jar has a sicker on it announcing it as "new" the sticker is so new you can hardly read it any more.
I have a fine old Irish brier and my grandfathers pipe ashtray I cant smoke anymore but i buy the tobacco and put it in my glove box to make my car smell like it.
I very much enjoyed hearing all the stories and memory's .

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Midwest Boater said:
The tobacconist in town has a jar of Pirates blend, he says it was started because the pirates loot of tobacco rum and vanilla would some times become all mixed togather in rough seas (true or not its a good story) the jar has a sicker on it announcing it as "new" the sticker is so new you can hardly read it any more.
I have a fine old Irish brier and my grandfathers pipe ashtray I cant smoke anymore but i buy the tobacco and put it in my glove box to make my car smell like it.
I very much enjoyed hearing all the stories and memory's .

What an excellent story and a warm welcome to the lounge.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
warbird said:
For me it is almost perfect cigar smoking weather. I like smoking outside in the cool fall air. dont like to smoke in the heat of the summer. But winter is time for pipes. In my office while working or writing.

Writing is one of my very favourite activities to do while smoking my pipe.

Professor_Briar

New in Town
1Q an BCA Mixture

How odd, in the late 1980's I also smoked a 50/50 mixture of 1Q and BCA. I thought I was being inventive - apparently not! Have you tried TK-6? An excellent blend but since discontinued. I think some company is resurrecting the Lane blends that were dropped. (According to Pipes Magazine online)

Levallois

Practically Family
Thanks to this post, I've taken my pipes out of the drawer and I'm going to start smoking a pipe again. Quite frankly, I don't know why I stopped - no health problems or orders from either the Dr. or the wife. Here's my small collection of old Dunhills, Sasienis, Comoy Blue Riband, 1920s Parker, etc. Of course, they'll all have to be cleaned up a bit.

pipes002.jpg

My question to the groups is what to smoke other than the Capt. Black type stuff. The problem is that I like a sweet-taste as opposed to tobacco-taste. Is there a middle of the road blend - not sickening sweet and not tobacco-city either? Thanks for the help and the push back into a very enjoyable pastime.

John

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Levallois said:
My question to the groups is what to smoke other than the Capt. Black type stuff. The problem is that I like a sweet-taste as opposed to tobacco-taste. Is there a middle of the road blend - not sickening sweet and not tobacco-city either? Thanks for the help and the push back into a very enjoyable pastime.

John

John what an excellent collection of pipes you have. I have tobacco I like, but I am in the UK, so i don't how easy they would be to get in the UK.
Kentucky Nougat and Black & Brown (my favourite) are quite sweet. the alternative would be to possibly try something like Vanilla or Cherry - which tend to me less tobacco-like.

But really I would advise you to find a good tobacconist and ask them, tell them what you're looking for and quite often they'll give you a sniff before hand.

Levallois said:
Thanks to this post, I've taken my pipes out of the drawer and I'm going to start smoking a pipe again. Quite frankly, I don't know why I stopped - no health problems or orders from either the Dr. or the wife. Here's my small collection of old Dunhills, Sasienis, Comoy Blue Riband, 1920s Parker, etc. Of course, they'll all have to be cleaned up a bit.

pipes002.jpg

John

I stick with Argosy Black if I want a sweet aromatic. It is a mild black Cavendish tobacco with a sort of mild vanilla flavoring.
House of Windsor makes a few other vintage blends as well. I think there is also a Field and Stream and a Mapleton.

wildturkey8

Familiar Face
Levallois said:

pipes002.jpg

John
Try Vermont Maple Cavendish or #191 Honey-Vanilla from Pipework and Wilke.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner