Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Cabinets

designrun

New in Town
View attachment 598801 View attachment 598802 View attachment 598803 View attachment 598804 Hello, sorry if this is not a good place for my post. I picked up a smoking cabinet in the 80's in Maritime Canada thinking it was a 1920's, but took a closer look and there are details including hand carving that may say differently. The top piece is 100% hand carved, not sure of the other embellishments. Any input regarding the history would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

View attachment 598801 View attachment 598802 View attachment 598803 View attachment 598804 Hello, sorry if this is not a good place for my post. I picked up a smoking cabinet in the 80's in Maritime Canada thinking it was a 1920's, but took a closer look and there are details including hand carving that may say differently. The top piece is 100% hand carved, not sure of the other embellishments. Any input regarding the history would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Is it tin, coated tin, or copper lined?

I only know the lining inside is the color of a penny so I assume copper
Pure copper will not rust or corrode so check for signs of such in any deep scratches, corners & edges, etc. If it’s really copper then it should be apparent. Coated tin (cheaper than copper) will rust & corrode in those areas from yrs of moisture & tobacco products. Both copper & most tins are non magneti so check with a magnet to determine if the liner could be coated sheet metal.

PS: coated tin is usually made to look like copper, thus the color Is close to being the same. You can’t go just by color.

designrun

New in Town
Yes I found a bit on the bottom shelf that had blackened a bit and it is magnetic so electroplated. It just seemed to me an early 20th century catalogue piece would not have all the hand carving on the cabinet top's edges. The embellishments almost give me a thin metal feel when I tap them though I may be wrong - if this would have been common to do so then paint it to look like the rest of the wood. I confess no idea of course. Just hoping to learn a little history as to how such a piece came to be and am approximate time frame. Thanks again for your input!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner