AmiCharnel Caps

Discussion in 'Hats' started by deadlyhandsome, Aug 16, 2018.

1. jtavan

jtavan New in Town

I ordered a set of caps in different colors/styles on December 17 and haven't heard a word from him. Crossing fingers, hoping they show up. Very nice caps from what I've seen here and on his web site.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

Don’t be afraid to reach out to him periodically to ensure they get shipped in a reasonable time. Very nice caps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here are pics of my 5 AMI CHARNEL newsboys. 3 Harris...1 Lovat and 1 Donegal tweed. Great caps....i love the full body drape. 2 are bespoke with leather sweats...3 are off the shelf. He uses thick leather in the brim with a waxed cotton cover[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

deadlyhandsome and tropicalbob like this.
  4. deadlyhandsome

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    belfastboy likes this.
  5. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

Went with @belfastboy 's advice offline and finally grabbed a cap from AmiCharnel. Not sure how long he takes to make 'em, but I'm in no hurry for after going on my bespoke binge. I think after this one I'm going to slow down a bit with buying caps.

AmiCharnel had a cap made with Shetland wool in houndsthooth for £15, so I couldn't pass it up. I ended up tacking on a leather band because gros-grain eventually gets dirty and mangy - at least for me. Also asked for his wider cut. I like to have a little drape to the side. Fingers are crossed that this is one of my favs.

6. belfastboy

Yes, I think you will. You paid about the same as you would for a New Era base ball cap in polyester.

7. Orvil Newton

Orvil Newton One of the Regulars

A fellow rain forest dweller, though somewhat farther North in the Tongass, appreciates that feature, but most often I wear a brimmed hat when it's raining.

8. Orvil Newton

Orvil Newton One of the Regulars

Those are really nice! I may have to add a couple.

9. Edward

Edward Bartender

So that's a new linen cap for Summer ordered, plus three or four more for the Autumn sitting in my browser bookmarks (including, however implausibly, a cycling cap with earflaps , which I could be tempted to order up in time for the Chap Olympiad in July.... ).

Enablers, the lot of you!

10. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

I think we all encourage each other... stop taking pics y'all.

11. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

What is the usual wait time for a cap from Stew? I've been waiting 6 weeks now after ordering. I emailed about 2 weeks after my order and heard back quickly. He said he was waiting on stock of leather bands to complete the hat. I have emailed a few times since then and haven't heard back. I'm starting to get impatient. I'll try another email for good measure.

12. jtavan

jtavan New in Town

I'm still waiting for my order from December 17. Three weeks ago I received a message saying he was "ready to ship this week", but nothing since. I've basically written them off.

Since ordering from Stew I've ordered and received several caps from Jonathan Cordova, who charges a lot more but makes beautiful caps and quickly.

13. deadlyhandsome

I had to threaten to cancel my last order to get him to ship. I think his caps are a good value, but his customer service leaves much to be desired.

14. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

Wow! Yeah I'll hold out a bit more. I have a bunch of good caps now, so I'm not in the pull my chips off the table phase, yet.

I have a few caps from Simonds now. Great communication. Would love more information about what he is offering in terms of styles, fabrics, etc... but if you can go on a pic or a few pics alone it's worth it. I have one cap I picked up from Cordova that was pre-made and have been going back and forth for a bit now with him on another. The experience has been stellar. Monsivais is the other option, I've been going with... he has some good chops in terms of design and craftsmanship, but can get a little sloppy (at least on one custom I bought from him). Communication has been good enough with some ups and downs. I will say his turnaround time is relatively quick, which is great.

15. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

Oh yeah I can't forget Keith Lo Bue... need to save some dough for his stuff. I'm sure it's top notch. But I think $150 bones is the sweet spot for this stuff...

16. homesicksteve

homesicksteve New in Town

I was glad I used PayPal for the order I placed last year.
    After hearing nothing, & having e-mails ignored,
    opening a PayPal dispute & getting a refund was quick & easy.....

17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Useful to know. I ad my order confirmed in mid-March, but no sign yet. I may reluctantly cancel. I'd like to be able to uy a bnuch of cheaper linen caps for Summer, but if they're a pain to actually get.... Shame, looks like I'm going to skip the cycling caps and others I hasd considered ordering.

18. deadlyhandsome

I really don’t think he’s ripping people off. I also think you will eventually get your caps. I don’t know if he has supply problems, but it seems to me he’s just lackadaisical with his business and he does a poor job of communicating with his customers. If he would just send an email now and then giving status I could accept the delays a lot easier.

Edward likes this.
  19. belfastboy

I am saddened to hear these shitty reports about Stew. He has gone AWOL on me a few times but always came through in the end and i rrceived a great product. BUT an order from December is way over due and un acceptable

20. ScottyD

ScottyD Familiar Face

Just got my cap from Stew. Quality and craftsmanship is superb. The wait time and communication was lacking as you guys already know, but he came through. I haven't worn the hat much, if at all being that we're going into the late spring / early summer months. I think I like the button undone that way I can shape the hat the way I like it.