Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amish style hat?

JDCrockett

New in Town
I'm looking for an Amish or Spanish styled hat in decent fur felt. I've seen
a couple offered in basic black that seem to fit the dimensions I have in mind,
3 1/2 to 4" flat- topped crown and a 3 1/2" bound brim. Does anyone have
experience or recommendations on sources? I might also be interested in
other colors and maybe even one in 100% beaver eventually.
20419327.jpg

Is there any chance a round crowned hat could be reblocked flat, without
resorting to a telescope type crown?
Thanks

JDCrockett

New in Town
Thanks

Anyone had experience with those manufacturers? Is the quality similar to an
Akubra? I wish I could try them on in person. The dimensions sound like they will look ok on my face but I've tried some similar hats with larger brims and the didn't look quite right on my noggin.:eusa_doh:

analogist

One of the Regulars
Amish Hats

My wife and I spent a week in Lancaster County Pennsylvania at the beginning of the month and stayed in Adamstown PA, mainy because of the sign that says "Wecome to Adamstown founded in 1761. A City known for Hats and Antiques." It is the home of Bollman Hat Co. which did little for me, but it sure required lots of time looking at the merchandise offered by over 17,000 antique dealers. Not a single decent hat!!

However, after speaking with a few Amish folks off the beaten path, they told me of a retired farmer named Moses Stoltzloos who is the regional hatter.
(I promise to postpix as soon as I learn how.) Following directions I got at a book shop, I found Moses's shop located in back of his house in a former chicken coop. It was located on Irishtown Road in Ronks, PA.

Moses was in his early 70's and gets semi finished bodies of blended rabbit and beaver made by Tonak. His shop is run on propane and compressed air. He had lots of blocks, flat plywood flanges, many irons, and offered BLACK hats with different crown heights, flat or telescoped , and brims from 2 1/2 to 4 inches. We spent a couple of hours with him and I wound up with a pretty fine hat.

Moses told us that the difficulty with hats for the general public are hard to build because most of his customers have longer and narrrower heads and almost all his Amish clients wear long oval hats. We worked around that and my hat fit well. The price of this hat was $75.00.

He has no phone but I will post his physical address when I find his card.

He also makes straw hats which Amish men wear year round when working or outdoors. The only time they wear Black felt is when they have business with the "English" (as non-Amish are called) or when visiting socially or for prayer meetings. The straw is constructed of braided rye grass and I of course got one for my wife and one for myself. They were $18 each.

I really love hat adventures whether it is going through boxes of new old stock at a hat shop or working on a design collaboration with Art, but my day
with Moses Stoltzloos was very special.

With respect to the Amish, I changed the ribbon from black to silver grey since I wear the hat and do not wish to make light of their faith.

It was a great vacation and off season you can get really fine lodging for about $50/day and there are lots of top notch restaurants.

As a side thought, Lancaster County is stunninglybeautiful; dotted with farms, small shops, buggies, and great looking big draft horses. Each time we drove past one of the small schoolhouses, my mind was totally baffled as to why that maniac performed such an act of rage and violence against those innocent children.

analogist

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Pictures....we want pictures!!! Very interesting Sir. Since electricity is not "kosher", how did he actually make the hats? What equipment was used?
What type of boiler system? Treadle machines?

So many questions

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I've been hunting and bothering the local Amish about their hats for some old codger on the E. Coast. They've led me on some wild goose chases, but I'm close. Most Amish around here use "kosher" electricity generated by gas, use cell phones, and generally have a child or nephew/niece/grandchild in rumspringa who'll have a car, electricity in their room, and probably a nice stash of liquor, too! I'm sure two of the three are good for making hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran