Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Inconvenient Truth - Moved From The Motion Picture Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike K.

One Too Many
My friends, I would like to encourage each of you to see this film. I realize that it might not be showing in all theaters like some of the bigger blockbuster movies, but please find it and go see it as soon as possible!

I am not a politically-sided person, i.e. I do not consider myself a Democrat or a Republican. Despite being a film by Al Gore, this is not a politically oriented film. Sure Gore interjects the occasional political reference, mostly regarding his own career past, but the film actually conveys a sense of urgency to break through political partisanship in order to tackle the very real problem of global climate change & pollution.

I went to see this film last weekend expecting a Gore political statement. Also, being a scientist myself (Ph.D. candidate, vertebrate ecology) I also sat down to watch with a healthy dose of skepticism. In the scientific community, global warming is a very real issue. Could Gore, a non-scientist and former politician, actually pull this off? Well...he did. Aside from a few very minor details and one cartoon sketch (only there for the scientifically challenged) An Inconvenient Truth was thought-provoking, educational, alarming, but most of all scientifically accurate! You will not get the lopsided discourse that was presented in Fahrenheit 911. This documentary is actually grounded in good solid scientific fact (no political statements here). Gore displays a genuine, even spiritual, concern for the environment. I was duly impressed! :eusa_clap

As a professional scientist, and someone sincerely concerned about caring for the earth that God has made for us, I urge you all to go out and see this film. Stick around for the end credits; interspersed throughout are nice tips on what you can do to help rather than be part of the problem. Whether you like Al Gore or not, this is one of those films that everyone should see!

-Mike K.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I'm kind of hoping he does pull it off actually. Never thought much of him, ie he didn't inspire much thought rather than I thought negatively of him, but this film has sparked my interest. Will take your rec and see it. I've got half a hunch it's him or Clinton for next president. Wouldn't it be great if someone with a real environmental interest got in!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
We're running this film at the theatre where I work next week -- after I lobbied hard to get it. There's been a *lot* of interest since the posters went up, and I suspect it'll be playing to some healthy houses. If the film is half as impressive as the trailer, I suspect a lot of people will be going home after the shows with a lot to think about.

Mike K.

One Too Many
On the day I saw the film, I went up to the ticket office and the young girl didn't even know what film I was getting tickets for...how pathetic. I know the blockbusters like Pirates of the Caribbean II will overshadow An Inconvenient Truth, but it definitely is a must see. I was never much of a Gore fan, although I always liked his environmental stance. Caledonia, I hope you're right about the next President having a true environmental awareness (and the guts to actually push through some meaningful changes). LizzieMaine, glad to hear that you lobbied hard to get this film at your location. A lot of critics have given this film high marks...that's both film critics and the scientific community.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I saw it a while ago. It is quieter than I thought it was going to be in tone, but you leave with this panic swelling in side of you like, "Oh my gosh, what can I do, what can I do!"

You dont have to like Gore to like the film. Just see it. Its not about him (political beliefs), but about this presentation that he has been doing for years. Like Mike K. said, there is no agenda from Gore here, its just a ralley for us to take care of the planet by drastically changing our ways as soon as we can.

LD

Also 5% of all ticket sales go to fight/educate on global warming. :)

Filthy

Suspended
Did we see the same film?

Boy, I snoozed almost all the way through this one! Not what i was expecting at all! I guess I should have read the reviews rather than just making a snap judgement based on the poster, but I thought it was going to be a whole lot more like "Armageddon!" It's not - it's more like science class! Boo-ring (to me and to others who thought they were seeing Armegeddon!) No nice hats or fashions either!

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Filthy, I hope you were able to at least come home having learned something. You sound like some of my students.:) Take to heart what Gore spoke about. If you're looking for more of a WOW factor...try The Day After Tomorrow (which incidentally does have some base in scientific theory :eek: ).

Filthy

Suspended
Mike K. said:
Filthy, I hope you were able to at least come home having learned something. You sound like some of my students. Take to heart what Gore spoke about. If you're looking for more of a WOW factor...try The Day After Tomorrow (which incidentally does have some base in scientific theory :eek: ).

Agreed, I blew it! I need to see this one again when I'm more attentive (not 6 margaritas in the bag) like when i saw that Robert McNamara movie! Boy did that change opinion about some of the wars we've been in!

Fabulously yours!,

Robert!

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Maybe I'm being overly sensitive (or overly cynical), but this is just the sort of thing I come here to get away from. I know the world has a zillion problems. Some we can fix; others we can't. But I come to the lounge to relax and leave "today" outside. Just my 2 cents (in 1938 money).

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
You know the reason I avoid threads like this, it's not because the subjects of the environment, 4 x 4's, the death penalty and such should not be debated, but it's how some loungers feel the need to attact each other, that's what really stresses me out!:(

Like Reno said, I come here to relax. Maybe you guys should too.

Bye.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Sorry, but I don't see where anybody is attacking another FL member here. The thread started with a simple, brief movie review and an encouragement for others to see it. A few Fedora Loungers responded in kind. Nobody is preaching anything or debating the topic of the movie. Sure, this forum is an escape for many people, including myself, but it is also a colloquium where members are free to discuss many topics of interest. There have been quite a few *hot* topics on the FL that have generated some pretty emotional debates. That was never the intention of this thread.

Bottom line - it's about a movie. Go see it if you want, or don't. Like it or don't like it. We're all free to choose.

Cheers!
:cheers1:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
new member said:
Boy, I ... ! Not ... ! I guess ... ! It's ... ! Boo-ring ... ! No ... !

Fabulously ... !,

Robert!

Robert "new member" has never met an exclamation point he didn't like lol

I liked the film. For me, what was most interesting was its timing, and the way in which it portrayed Al Gore. I'm convinced that it will lead to Gore's bid for presidential candidacy in 2008, even though he denies it (and all future candidates do, by the way :))

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well Said Mike...

Mike K. said:
Sorry, but I don't see where anybody is attacking another FL member here. The thread started with a simple, brief movie review and an encouragement for others to see it. A few Fedora Loungers responded in kind. Nobody is preaching anything or debating the topic of the movie. Sure, this forum is an escape for many people, including myself, but it is also a colloquium where members are free to discuss many topics of interest. There have been quite a few *hot* topics on the FL that have generated some pretty emotional debates. That was never the intention of this thread.

Bottom line - it's about a movie. Go see it if you want, or don't. Like it or don't like it. We're all free to choose.

Cheers!
:cheers1:

It a MOVIE. See it first. Critique it after. It's called freedom of choice. Use it or loose it. 'nough said! -dixon cannon

Caledonia

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
Filthy, I hope you were able to at least come home having learned something. You sound like some of my students.:) Take to heart what Gore spoke about. If you're looking for more of a WOW factor...try The Day After Tomorrow (which incidentally does have some base in scientific theory :eek: ).

You are extrapolating a tad on the "some base" bit I hope! :) I mean the speed it comes in at with absolutely no realistic warm up (ok contradiction I know), the fact the kids survive at all in those temperatures, the suddenly turned human killer wolves (overnight!!!! I mean come on!!). I'm not qualified academically in this field, so I am totally willing to learn, but that movie was a standard disaster movie to appeal to the masses. And as for March of the Penguins, the much lauded pengiun movie of the century, if that wasn't totally geared to female broodiness as opposed to ecological fact, I don't know what was! :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Oh, and I didn't read the posts above me. So, :eek: if I've disturbed something. But on a review of the movie (Day after Tomorrow) I stand as said! :D

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hi Caledonia! I saw March of the Penguins not long ago and loved it. Somehow I missed seeing it in the theaters. Don't get too alarmed by either Day After Tomorrow or the new Gore flick. The stuff mentioned in Day After was definitely "hollywoodized" for a big wow factor. Regardless of people's opinions on the Gore movie, I hope everyone takes things to heart. I have found that changing to a more eco-friendly lifestyle actually has saved me $$money$$ (not to mention what it's done for the earth I live on). A few less dollars spent on gas is a little more towards a new fedora or something!

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I think it's very important not to pre-judge films of this nature from a idealogical point of view. I think the original post in this thread sets a great example of discussing fact, not politics or ideology.

If any of us are so politically one-sided that they're not willing to hear a discussion on certain topics unless it's presented by "their side", then this would probably be a good film to pass on. Films, speeches or presentations are not likely to inform someone whose mind is made up because of the messenger, and who will therefore ignore the message. This can be the case with any point of view.

I confess that I would have a hard time summoning interest in going to hear certain speakers, simply because I distrust them so much that I would probably mistrust any arguments they made as distortions of fact.

However, I really do appreciate the comments by one trained in science and who is used to separating emotion from fact, as those of us with advanced degrees are trained to do. The recommendation makes me much more likely to see the film.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Scientists can speak authoritatively only when backed by quantitative logic. In the case of ice balance for Antartica, one thig is clear: Every modern climate model predicts that Antarctica will gain ice in the 21st Century, resulting in a slight lowering of sea levels (which will, nonetheless, be largely compensated for as slightly warmer surface temperatures cause ocean waters to expand).
The oft cited finding that Antarctica is losing ice is based on 34 quasi-monthly setellite observations beginning in mid-2002. But, as shown in the record for East Antarctica, which is the larget ice cap on the planet, mid-2002 represents the high point of snow accumulation for at least the last decade. While we cannot be absolutely certain that this accumulation outweighed ice loss in West Antarctica, we have reason to believe that it did. In any case, we should be cautious in drawing conclusions from a three year sample beginning at a relative peak.
Increased snow accumulaton in Antarctica is a logical consequence of the fact that the surrounding ocean has warmed slightly-an average of 0.3 degrees Celisius-in the last 40 years. That results in more moisture in the atmosphere, which, when uplifted over Antartica, causes greater snowfall. It is widely accepted in scientific circles that this is taking place. This phenomenon may also explain the well-known fact that, averaged over the entire continent, Antarctica has been cooling for decades. The clouds that produce snow reflect more radiation than they trap, resulting in net cooling.
Patrick J. Michaels
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA
National Review, 04/03/06 page 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy