Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Indy Jacket question

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
There's no question that the thread/stitching on my Wested isn't in the same league as my G&B, Schott, Good Wear, etc., jackets. I mean, their business is to make film wardrobe to be used for a few weeks, not mil-spec garments designed to last for years. But having said that, I haven't had any seams unravel or any threads break on mine in 12 years of ordinary seasonal wear. And for all I know, their construction quality is better now.

And did I mention that they repaired my jacket FOR FREE (including paying the return international shipping) when it did tear?!? How many other makers would do that for their jackets that cost two and three times as much?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I have no concern of my goatskin G&B Expedition leather tearing unless caught in a wood chipping machine. If that were to happen with my wearing the jacket at the time; then Houston we have a problem! :eeek:

Banzai

Familiar Face
Well, you guys aren't helping. I started with two choices, and now you've added a third. ;)

I might take a look at the US Authentic. Their "vintage goat" hide looks, at least in pictures, like it has more character than the G&B goat used for their Expedition.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The brown goatskin of my G&B Expedition is thinner and has far less "character" than the veg tanned goatskin of my Maxwell and Pioneer Aeros.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wested have come to my attention this week via a source outside of the FL. Looking to have them 'clone' me a custom G1 jacket in goatskin based on my 70's Star Sportswear (I'll source the zipper, knits & buttons..possibly collar too...MASH etc). Quote was unbelievably cheap...I'm willing to give it a punt based on my conversation with Wested & experiences here ;-)

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Assuming you are US based and you are not looking at a custom jacket I would tend to order one of each from the vendors you were looking at first, and see which fit/jacket works best for you. Both companies look to have a fair return policy and even if it costs you the postage to return the jacket you don't like then at least you will know for sure which one was right.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Probably muddying the waters Banzai but I got a new Wested nearly 2 weeks ago (a custom Raiders in the soft seal brown cowhide) and I'm absolutely thrilled with it. The fit is perfect, it's very well made and the cowhide is a really lovely hide, drapes superbly and has an attractive grain.

I was going to get a new A-2 after growing out of my old one but the significant other detests knits and threatened all manner of unsportsmanlike consequences if I got another so I went for an Indy. Very happy I did. It's a very versatile jacket and looks excellent, I've already had a couple of positive comments and the S.O. loves it. I've hardly taken it off since I got it.

Whether you go with G&B, US Authentic or Wested I think you'll be happy as long as you get a good fit.

Best of luck with whatever you ultimately decide.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to say that my Wested Ind goatskin has been iron tough. It has weathered the weather quite well, the stitching is lust as good as the day I received it and it is still going strong 10 years later. I couldn't have asked for a better jacket. Now that I have lost some weight the fit is a little looser, but that is ok. Perfect for layering now.

Cheers!

Dan

Banzai

Familiar Face
After reading this thread, I think I'll likely go with US Authentic. The "vintage goat" looks pretty neat, and I've been so pleased with my A-2 from them that I think Shaul ought to have a shot with the Indy.

Perhaps in a few months I'll place the order...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes