Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Introduction

RLM

Familiar Face
Hey guys/gals,
This is my first post, been lurking for a month or so and finally decided to register. I originally stumbled across the FL while searching for info on A-2 Flight Jackets and have really enjoyed reading the posts in the various sections of the lounge. I'm a big fan of Fedoras also, though for some reason, I just never can find one that I look good in. Funny shaped head I guess. :) Upon recommendation of a "friend" on another forum, I recently began debating on whether to order an Aero jacket. I see they have quite a following here as well. Since I already have an A-2 from another manufacturer (Flightjacket.com/US Authentic), I know, they're not 100% replications, but it was close enough for me at the time, I instead opted for an Aero Long Half Belt 44" in brown FQHH with an added 1" to the body, I'm 6'1", and a G-1 Pistol Pocket. I ordered it today from Mark Moye, in discussing my measurements with Mark, it turns out we have almost identical builds, so he knew exactly what I needed. Now I just have to bear the long wait until it arrives. It should be here around the middle of March, almost in time to pack it away in the closet for the spring/summer here in Atlanta. Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement over getting my new Aero ordered.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge and congratulations on your order. Aero must be getting more caught up to tell you delivery in March. That is only about three months, and I think many of our members have waited much longer than that.

RLM

Familiar Face
Thanks Peacoat, 8 weeks is what my friend told me to expect and he's ordered 3 jackets from them in the last year. Mark said 8 to 12 weeks, so here's hoping. If it gets here any later than mid to late April, I may just have to take a trip up north to see the in-laws just to give me a chance to wear it without getting too hot! BTW is that a Huey you're leaning on? I've always been a WWII airplane buff and never cared much for choppers, but the Huey is the one exception. Probably because I grew up watching them on the news in the late 60's - early 70's.

Cooperson

One Too Many
Welcome aboard. Aero brown FQHH is a beautiful hide that only gets better with age and the LHB is a classic design - a great combination.

RLM

Familiar Face
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Scion I see you're in Albuquerque. We went through there in September on our way to Reno for the air races. Well, actually we kind of skirted around it. Took some road, the name escapes me at the moment, that runs from I-40 north and west over to US550 and kind of bypasses the actual city, but we did get to look down on the town from up on the Hwy. Its much bigger than I expected, but very quaint looking with all the adobe like houses and buildings.

Peacoat

Bartender
RLM said:
Thanks Peacoat, 8 weeks is what my friend told me to expect and he's ordered 3 jackets from them in the last year. Mark said 8 to 12 weeks, so here's hoping. If it gets here any later than mid to late April, I may just have to take a trip up north to see the in-laws just to give me a chance to wear it without getting too hot! BTW is that a Huey you're leaning on? I've always been a WWII airplane buff and never cared much for choppers, but the Huey is the one exception. Probably because I grew up watching them on the news in the late 60's - early 70's.

Good eye! Yes, it is a Huey, taken in the Spring of 1967. I flew them in a place far away and a time long ago. And, I too, watched them on the news in the late 60's and early 70's. After my tour in RVN, I was an instrument flight instructor/check pilot with flight standards division at Hunter AAF in Savannah, GA. Watched the news every night, but never did spot my aircraft--66-16172. I do have a large print of it hanging in my office, with me at the controls, on a mission in 1967/68.

The Huey will do almost anything a rigid wing will do, and so much more. Of course they do it a little slower, but when one is on the deck at 120 knots (pushing it), it is a lot more fun than in the F-4 (my second favorite aircraft) even as low as 1,000 feet. I guess it is all relative.

RLM

Familiar Face
Peacoat said:
Good eye! Yes, it is a Huey, taken in the Spring of 1967. I flew them in a place far away and a time long ago. And, I too, watched them on the news in the late 60's and early 70's. After my tour in RVN, I was an instrument flight instructor/check pilot with flight standards division at Hunter AAF in Savannah, GA. Watched the news every night, but never did spot my aircraft--66-16172. I do have a large print of it hanging in my office, with me at the controls, on a mission in 1967/68.

The Huey will do almost anything a rigid wing will do, and so much more. Of course they do it a little slower, but when one is on the deck at 120 knots (pushing it), it is a lot more fun than in the F-4 (my second favorite aircraft) even as low as 1,000 feet. I guess it is all relative.

Well, let me thank you for you service in what was a very unpopular endeavor on our country's part. Whether we should have been there or not seems irrelevant. Our guys were there, and I'm sure politics has little to do with anything when somebody is shooting at you. I guess the ANG still flies Hueys. They fly over every now and then dressed in military colors. Every time I hear one fly over the house I run out to see it. Its an unmistakeable sound. I bet skimming the treetops at 138 mph is quite an adrenilin rush.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic