Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open Letter to Matt Deckard

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
If I were you, Matt, I'd take Lee up on that generous offer!
Lady Day said:
Yeah, then maybe Ill have some photos to put on the site he had me design for him.
mike said:
Any news on the photo shoot?!

I'm offering photo shoots. Plural.

So far, not a word from Matt; no attempt to contact me has been made. Keep pressuring him, folks. lol

Matt. Set aside your search for your Emma Peel and look for a photographer. You need one! Professional photos done with the proper equipment and acquired skills will sell your suits far better than any point-and-shoot used in the back yard. I can provide you with photos that will be much better than the ones you've just posted. Remember your thread about digital cameras making better photographers? Allow me to prove you wrong: Much like your skill and dedication to making superiors suits, it's the skill and dedication to the craft of photography that make one a true photographer. The camera is just a tool.

I may not be a paid professional, but I have eight years of experience shooting in a studio, developing my skills and style. I'll show you my 1980s portfolio of work I've done in and out of the studio with both male and female models. Yes it's twenty years old, but I still have the skills and now I also have my own lights (two, with more on the way). I know you've seen some of my work here on the Lounge.

You have some fantastic suits, Matt, and you'll sell many more than you already are with good photos of them. I want to help you get your business not only off the ground, but flying high. So my deal for you is this: Right now, I'm offering my services as a friend. But, when you start making money, I start making money. I'm not asking for cash - yet. For now, I just want more experience with digital and a good lunch or dinner after each shoot.

Don't forget that Lady Day needs good material for your website. Those are all you need to really take off. You currently have both at your disposal, just sitting in the wings waiting for you to take action. Take advantage of our talents.

Then watch your business really grow!

Lee

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Two topics:

1. Matt, dude you look skinny now. Congrats! :eusa_clap I haven't been around in a while, so what was your fitness plan? Gotta thread here on that?

2. Now that you are slim, do you still feel the same way you do about arm holes on modern suits versus vintage suits? You may recall the debate we had. How did you style these on your line of clothing

Cheers,

M8

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:

Matt, no foolin’: this is one of the very best suits, vintage or contemporary, I’ve seen at any price. The fit, fabric, construction, silhouette, lining, buttons, buttonhole work, and dozens of minute details are just outstanding. I’m not surprised: some of this country’s great menswear stylists of the past —Eddie Schmidt and Sy Devore come to mind— were not tailors and couldn’t even sew, but man! did they design and ‘midwife’ superb suits. I don’t say this lightly: you’re rapidly moving into their league. Keep it up, and you’ll satisfy a desire that’s presently unmet: the desire for menswear that fully lives up to –or better yet, surpasses– the Golden Era’s best.

Having recently had the great pleasure of meeting Matt in person and visiting some very cool LA venues with him wearing this suit, I second Marc's appraisal of Matt's suit absolutely. This is what you've all been waiting for. The details, the quality, the design, the functionality of a genuine Golden Era suit are all there. If you think the photos of the suit look brilliant, and they certainly do, seeing the way it fits and looks firsthand will make you want to punch the air and say "At last!"

I'll tell you how good this suit is: Any of you more seasoned Loungers out there probably know I have my own fantastic tailor here in Sydney. He's made my friends here in Australia and myself some oustanding garments over the years. Notwithstanding that fact, I'm going to save my pennies to purchase a Matt Deckard suit not too far down the track, even though the Aussie-US dollar exchange rate sucks, because I believe in Matt's mission and his product. It'll be money well spent on a suit the quality of which is second to none, with all the right construction and details vintage aficionados could want in a garment.

:eek:fftopic: Marc, congratulations to you and Mrs Chevalier! Isabel is adorable!

GBR

One of the Regulars
MrNewportCustom said:
I'm offering photo shoots. Plural.

So far, not a word from Matt; no attempt to contact me has been made. Keep pressuring him, folks. lol

[/I] grow!

Lee

If you look at MD's post of 15 April, the shoot is to take place next month. presumably he has another photographer.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Say, I like it but, when will ya make a double breasted job that's fancy backed eh? I'm waiting to see one!

Marc, I see some details that are quite unique on Matt's suits... that haven't seen the fashion world since the 40s but, I feel Oviatt's suits are more detailed and many other pieces of clothes I have owned and do own are constructed so well and there is just something about the fabric of that era that cannot be duplicated. Some of the fabric that I find or have seen today comes close but, has some what of sheen to it that I'm not too sold on as being authentic.

Don't get me wrong, I think Matt's suits are really coming around but, I feel he'd really exceed what's out there by offering some suits that we only see in catalogs and movies... The kind of stuff that doesn't exist any longer. :) That would sell… I know it would!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Always attending parades with a full bladder...
lol Seems that way huh?

I didn't mean any offence at all, text does come off cold I know.

Really, I do applaud Matt for his efforts, and he has a fine eye for design. Each time I see a new suit of his I am impressed. I just know that tailors of the golden era started to tailor at a very young age and many of them were immigrants and what they knew how and what to do with cloth is mostly a lost art, they were masters of their craft.

My hat is off to Matt for doing what he's dreamed of doing. He's breaking boundaries of what men can find out there, I just feel that it may be time to see a double breasted fancy back... I'd order one if I had the cash... honest! :)

The fabric is a tough thing to match as to a vintage suit.

Few mills produce anything close to that weight these days.

From my observations of the suits I have seen from Matt, he has done well in what he has been able to get for base fabrics, they sure beat the heck out of any modern suit.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
The fabric is a tough thing to match as to a vintage suit.

Few mills produce anything close to that weight these days.

From my observations of the suits I have seen from Matt, he has done well in what he has been able to get for base fabrics, they sure beat the heck out of any modern suit.

This is true, and I agree. Matt does the best with what he finds and that's all anyone can really do.

GBR

One of the Regulars
Has the photo shoot taken place yet? I think we all look forward to this with great expectation.

Cigarband

A-List Customer
Rhabryn said:
However, oddly enough, those within the profession are aware that few in the profession put in the effort to dress well.

Recently here in Cleveland Ohio, a Municipal Court Judge had to admonish an Attorney appearing before him about the way he smelled. He was so rank that people in the courtroom
couldn't get within 10 feet of him. You should be proud of the distinction you bring to the profession. You deserve the Esq.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I caught up with Matt Deckard at a recent night at the Cicada Club. As mentioned by others, I have been continuously impressed by the suits offered under his label.
DSC_0299.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
resortes805 said:
I caught up with Matt Deckard at a recent night at the Cicada Club. As mentioned by others, I have been continuously impressed by the suits offered under his label.
DSC_0299.jpg

That is one fine suit y'all!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy