Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open Letter to Matt Deckard

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Dear Matt,

I’m writing this letter to address a largely unfulfilled desire: mine, the Fedora Lounge’s, and yours as well.

Over time, we’ve seen a handful of Loungers take the plunge and produce merchandise aimed at “folks like us,” those who appreciate Golden Era quality and design. I applaud their moxie. Not having seen the wares in person, I can’t judge them fairly. However …

Several days ago, you paid a visit to my neck of the woods (and dazzled my 8 month-old daughter, but that’s another story). You wore a new suit that was made for your own custom clothing label: “Matt Deckard Apparel.” And all I can say is …

WOW. Just WOW.

Now, I’m an amateur. I’m no Manton. I’ve written no books on suits. Nonetheless, I’m a pretty experienced dilettante: some spectacular vintage Savile Row bespoke suits have passed through my hands, not to mention several $6,000+ outfits made by Raphael Raffaelli, one of NYC’s top three bespoke tailors. I’ve examined these suits minutely before selling them off to others. In 20 years of high-end vintage menswear collecting, then, I’ve learned a thing or two about the best of the best. And that’s where your suit comes in.

Matt, no foolin’: this is one of the very best suits, vintage or contemporary, I’ve seen at any price. The fit, fabric, construction, silhouette, lining, buttons, buttonhole work, and dozens of minute details are just outstanding. I’m not surprised: some of this country’s great menswear stylists of the past —Eddie Schmidt and Sy Devore come to mind— were not tailors and couldn’t even sew, but man! did they design and ‘midwife’ superb suits. I don’t say this lightly: you’re rapidly moving into their league. Keep it up, and you’ll satisfy a desire that’s presently unmet: the desire for menswear that fully lives up to –or better yet, surpasses– the Golden Era’s best.

And now, a request.

Matt, please help me share with everyone here the suit that I saw several days ago. Show the details that I was able to scrutinize. Let the men of the Fedora Lounge see for themselves what I was able to verify: that you’ve exceeded their expectations – and even yours.

Post detailed photos in the Lounge, Matt … and soon. You’ve met your goal. It’s time.

Sincerely,

Marc

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here's an inadequate taste. Let's hope that Matt posts some detailed photos. The ones below do not do the suit justice:

l_eef5011d16564d7db6be518e14da8945.jpg

l_064cd10c7989412c922eac722b8dc8dd.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Nice bebbeh, too. :D

Not to detract from the suit of course!

What is it about someone with a truly great product that makes them want to conceal it? I've known many tradesmen, and craftsmen, like this. Is there a feeling that some things are just too good to sell? Or that success destroys that brief phase of quality? [huh]

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Marc. That's a fine compliment you've given Matt.

Matt. We've spoken of pictures before. Send me a PM and I'll be happy to bring the lights and camera over and do my absolute best work to show your suits. Saturday or Sunday is best. You choose which one and when. Make sure you have at least half a day available, because I refuse to work under pressure. In fact, I offer three types of service; Good, Fast and Cheap. . . . You may pick any two. In this case, the order of the day is good and cheap. Very cheap.

Send me your number and a good time to call, and we'll hammer out the details.

Lee

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I'd love to see this suit you've described as well. The Laureate Suit on Matt's site is literally my ideal suit. It just matches my personal taste flawlessly. If I lived on the West coast and had a little extra cash, I would have already been measured for a clone of that suit.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Wow, I love that the pinstripes match at the seams on the shoulder & lapel. You just dont see that sort of attention to detail anymore. Not even at Brooks Bros.
Poor Matt, really is a psycho, dont let him too close to that baby. He's a bottle-bandit.

Compare the pinstripes on this english suit
1711090021_979fa75cba.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, but I have no time for your baby. I'm too busy laughing at the fact that the homepage here shows the General Attire thread as "show us your" and just beneath that, the Powder Room says "cleavage." :p lol :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy