Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Open Letter to Matt Deckard

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Rhabryn said:
Thank you for the advice, and I assure you that I know it well.
Among most circles outside of the legal profession I at-least have the excuse that I am in the legal profession. Granted, this can lead to individuals then thinking of me as stuck up, but largely for the reason that I am a member of that profession - not because I'm well dressed.

However, oddly enough, those within the profession are aware that few in the profession put in the effort to dress well. That being said, I've had a few instances where I've (apparently) alienated others in my workplace due to my efforts to dress as professionally as possible. It made me rather sad to realize it - I didn't think myself as any different than anyone else, from our non-lawyer staff to our chief - nor did I treat anyone with less than the utmost respect and my touchstone overly-friendly attitude - yet I managed to make at least some of them feel that I thought myself better.

I truly wish I could understand it.

However, I've decided to just keep on dressing how I dress and, once I find a "permanent" place of employment, I will be there long enough for my colleagues to look past the lapels and realize that the huge smile, caring attitude and willingness to chat about just about anything is genuine.

Come to Boston, you'll fit right in! I've never seen an attorney dressed in anything other than a suit. When my wife (a paralegal) has to meet anyone from outside the office (clients, other attorneys, etc.) she has to wear a skirt or dress. Her employer keeps a spare suit at the office, just in case.

Rhabryn

Familiar Face
I truely appreciate all your invitations.

For now, at least, I want to keep trying to bring the Mountain (professional dress) to Me (My Area) - as opposed to traveling to the Mountain (which seems to be in Chile or Boston).

Subvet642

A-List Customer
Rhabryn said:
I truely appreciate all your invitations.

For now, at least, I want to keep trying to bring the Mountain (professional dress) to Me (My Area) - as opposed to traveling to the Mountain (which seems to be in Chile or Boston).

You seem determined to stick to your guns, good! Perhaps in the fullness of time people will come to see that it feels good to look good. I saw in a movie once (Angela's Ashes) a character say: "a man who won't wear a tie has no respect for himself".

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
One more of the suit Marc started the thread about.

Ignore the black eye... it's a dancing injury. Hopefully some of my clients will post soon. The photo shoot is happening next month. More to come on the hats as well.

l_ecde11a613a8415faf7dac49ff12dc49.jpg

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
Good Lord, the back completely puts the suit over the top of Mount Awesome. Marc certainly was not exaggerating! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy